The Celtic OO experience

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ciotog

The Celtic OO experience

Postby Ciotog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:30 am

[img][IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/2ywwxf7.jpg[/img][/img]

I have decided to take the bull by the horns and convert the attic into a site for my layout. It is my first effort and I will be grateful for any comments from the board.

The track plan is above - an oval shape. My plan is to attempt to make one with an Irish flavour - one side will be mountains and valleys and the other will be fields and the Atlantic! The stock will be a combination of UK and Irish stock as I understand that they were just quite similiar in the earlier periods.

As OO is the most popular, it made sense to use OO - though I was quite tempted by N - as some people have designed some tremendous layouts on here e.g. the Buxton scenario is superb.

So here goes.................................

Ciotog

Re: The Celtic OO experience

Postby Ciotog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 am

Track plan - modified

IrishRail

Postby IrishRail » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:31 pm

The plan looks great liam! What dimensions are you going for? Nice to see more Irish image on the forum!

I like to think of building your model railways is similar to Iaranrod Eireann slogan "we're not there yet but we are getting there!" as a good way to think as there always more to be done but every bit you do gets you that bit closer...

Best of luck

MJ
It's time to take the train..

Merv

Postby Merv » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi
Nicely drawn plan.

I'd be tempted to change board 2 slightly. There is a siding/spur that ends at the end of the longer of the platforms, personally, i'd do away with that and make the platform longer, and also think about if you can move the location of the points on the right hand end that feed the outer lines through the station so you can make those platforms longer. maybe double slips instead of 2 points? longer platforms = longer trains [or at least trains that fit in the platforms!]

The curved platforms will look very nice though, I do like a curved platform 8)

Merv
Currently Armchair Modelling

Not at all Fluffy

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Thanks for that Merv. I'll study the plans again, amd get my measuring tape out. The length of the layout will be 11'6'' - the side below (East) is 2'6'' wide. The Fiddle Yard section will be 2'3'' - easy to get at. A viaduct will be 'inserted' at the window and a lifting hatch at the bottom end to allow access.
The loft has been insulated and boarded off so it makes sense to utilise the space for a more constructive project than just storing junk.

[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/11qjyox.jpg[/[/img]

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Better picture!

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 pm

work in progress on the fiddle yard section

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Before I begin the track plan cutting up, thr cork glueing and the track laying, I couldn't resist making a cardboard outline for the proposed viaduct.

IrishRail

Postby IrishRail » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 am

Looks great Liam! Especially the planned viaduct! What wood did you use on the top part? Im looking forward to watching this layout develop..

Cheers

MJ
It's time to take the train..

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:28 pm

The frames are the usual 2' x 1'. It's really funny that the width and the breadth of the wood is measured in feet and the length is measured in metres!
The bases are chipboard. The mistake I made was giving the guy in the sawmill the measurements and asking him to cut them as per the schedule. It was only when I got them home that I realised that the 3'6" piece had become 36 cms. Fun and games!
I used Sundeala before to extend a modifed 8x4 layout that I had, but found that it tended to warp a bit. (Easy to push pins into, though!)

I got the cork and the adhesive last week and the cork will be applied over the next few days. I have great help here with Andy and Richard - two Railway Model gurus and enthusiasts. The viaduct base structure is nearly ready for insertion - based on a drawer principle, so it can be pulled in and out.
With the cork down and cut to size, the tracks will be next. It 's slow................. but getting there.

kas1611

Postby kas1611 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 pm

nice looking plan and stonking amounts of space to work it in. Oh for a space like that!

Going to be one to watch over the coming weeks/months/years (delete as appropriate) and will be interesting to see something a little out of the norm with the Irish flavour. Now I always thought the Irish rail system used a different gauge but I guess you can't get the right scale track so "modellers licence" kicks in here.

Keep up the work and keep posting pictures to wet our appetites

Keiron

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi Keiron

I read that the first railway opened in Ireland was the Dublin & Kingstown Railway in 1834. This was built to what became the British standard gauge of 4'8½". The Ulster Railway from Belfast to Portadown was built to a gauge of 6'2". The Dublin & Drogheda Railway was engineered to be able to take a 6'2" gauge, but their engineer, Sir John MacNeill favoured a 5'2" gauge.

Life is too short so, taking a new modeller's licence as opposed to a poetic one, I decided that OO would do for me.
Lazy but practical!
Liam

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 pm

And so the Corking begins! Risking the danger of 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...etc' I found that sheets of cork are far better than rolls. Cutting them into manageable pieces and using spray carpet adhesive works very well.
There is no smell or buzz fron the adhesive, but you have to be quick. I started to apply it to the base and the cork and found that it had 'gone off' almost instantly. By applying it just to the cork gave a bit more time and worked just as well.

Working geat until I ran out of glue! Damn!

The underside of the lift-up hatch with the two metal cabinetmaker's dowels to give it a true close every time.

The bolt at the side - one front and one back.

and the top of the hatch...............

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Beginning to drill the sleepers - I should have been a dentist!

Cork is finally laid and the marking out is nearly finished.

First tracks laid in the fiddle yard. Hurrah!

and another go at the viaduct.....

A road suspension bridge will be installed behind the viaduct at some time in the future.

kas1611

Postby kas1611 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Progress is looking good, it's always amazing how getting the first bits of track seem to propel the rest of the layout into life.

Definitely want to see how the viaduct comes along as my old man is planning something similar when he gets round to his shed layout, but his will be a 2nd/3rd rad curved viaduct.

Keiron

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”