Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:06 pm

Small white metal kits take ages - mostly painting as where several colours are used each has to be left to thoroughly dry. The cart and horse are coming along as are the 4 highland cattle.

Dad-1
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:33 am

After last evenings painting I just rested it all together ......
A layout - can it be art ?

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 am

yes, it can be art!!! Well your definatley is!!!

You've done a mighty good job on that hore and cart

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Westy

Postby Westy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:04 pm

trainsandco wrote:yes, it can be art!!! Well your definatley is!!!

T&C

Are you talking about the old dear sat on the rock?

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Westy wrote:
trainsandco wrote:yes, it can be art!!! Well your definatley is!!!

T&C

Are you talking about the old dear sat on the rock?

erm.....I meant horSe and cart :oops:

81D & 55A

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Oh my Guys, what have you been saying about poor old granny .............

Anyway I'm in that Very slow part - painting up small parts, and finishing off making my heavy duty fencing. Both real eye straining jobs .....

The easy one threading 0.8 mm brass wire through plastic posts.

Then the eye strainer, painting the ground levers

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:43 am

Painting can go a bit wrong on this small stuff. My highland cattle were having a mostly matt varnish wash wth touch of rust (H 113) to bring out the rough coat. However I had too much matting agent and one is a bit too frosty looking !!
After the speed of track laying, and general scenics this painting all the small extras seems to take for ever.

Still have to drill the wiring hole under my lamp hut before that and it's surrounding area can be developed. Next it's making a set of steps up to the cattle dock, just the thing for a damp day like today.

Geoff T

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 am

Its looking absolutely fab Geoff, add a wee bit of fine stuff on the base of the cattle pen (meaning straw stuff lol) and one or two brown cow splats eh? :D The poor little old lady wrongly accused, poor old sort needs a wee doggy sitting at her feet.

Seriously (as if) great stuff Geoff, I am very jelous of your tallent.

greets slackers
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Slackers,
Firstly a small telling off ....... please Don't think YOU can't do it, because you CAN !! Remember "Bob the Builders" slogan
So, first you really want to do it. Then let a positive attitude take charge and say I will do it !! Hard work is a good substitute for talent - I know.
Remember you shouldn't expect startling results first time, but in going about a project be aware that if it's gone wrong once, next time you've learned something and will probably sidestep that first error. Working with a small white metal kit there isn't much to go wrong and when it comes to painting if the first coat isn't right you can always paint it again !! Also start with a reasonably simple 'kit' like the Highland Cattle - all you have are 4 bodies and 4 heads. Make certain the heads are fettled to fit the bodies cleanly then just superglue.
I'm lucky with a collection of paints & brushes gathered up over many years, but 4 or 5 paints, a couple of brushes, a small container of white spirit, a toilet roll, small electrical screwdriver and you're away.
Patience is very important, leaving one colour at a time to thoroughly dry is a drag, but it's not rocket science !
The tools ? small electrical screwdriver to open tins of paint and the blade makes an ideal stirrer. Toilet paper to wipe the lids clean after removal and to wipe the stirrer on - also used to dry the brush after thorough cleaning in the white spirit.

Now go on and try - You know you can do it !!
Oh and thanks for the complements - I hope to see one of yours soon.

Geoff T.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Dad-1 wrote:

Geoff T

Sorry to have to tell you, but your exquisite detail really makes the hornby signal look far worse than it would normally, i know they're expensive but you should replace it with a Ratio one.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Now go on and try - You know you can do it !!

Damn it your right Geoff I will. I remember getting the job of painting those Warcraft figures for my lad and his mate and they have to be exact even down to the individual green teeth :P So I must have been ok at the painting malarky.

I saw a while ago a site that sells unpainted loco crew and am going to have a go at them. I always tend to think the ready painted ones are far too light blue. All steam loco drivers I have seen were nearly black with all the filth.

Thanks for the telling off :D and get that old dear a doggy.

slackers
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:26 pm

oh dear what have I brought upon that poor, innocent little old lady, just sitting there watching the water go by, then i came :(........

I think one of your cows has a serious cases of frost bite thanks to frosty the snowman :P.....oh dear....I need to get out more......

your railway is looking good........as par usual!!!

81D & 55A

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Oh I dunno, I recon that cow could pass off as being part albino :lol:

And if you're going to get a doggy, make sure it's an overgrown rat, sat in her handbag with a pink bow in its hair :wink:
Oh wait . . . horse and cart . . . scrap that latter idea, wrong era :roll:
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:40 am

I've read that the best way to reproduce animal fur is to mix some Talc powder in with the paint. Yours look pretty decent though anyway Geoff.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:15 am

Hi All,
Now, Slackers here are the doggies, I can't decide which she should have. Suggestions please !!
Now I want to see your train driver and fireman with green teeth .... :mrgreen:

O.K pedanticmongrel I realise now that the Hornby signal's a bit naff, see originally this was to be a very low cost exercise and simple. Now while the Hornby offering is Errr... not great it is quite strong and it needs to be sitting right on the edge of this board. Now I've made it with a safety interlocking action controlled from behind the board it's just too late to change.

The cows will need thawing out, also gonna have to do something about the fresians in the paddock, getting a bit overcrowded.

MMmmm .... interesting Andrew, you do have a reputation of mucking about with paint and mostly it works out fine, will my luck last though !!

Today when the wife's out I may bring the station end of Two Short Planks in and have a Diesel festival with Caledonian 123 as a special in steam visitor. Want to photo my now 5 strong stable of class 37's.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”