Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
tinman

Re: Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Postby tinman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:12 am

Just a thought - when you say capilliary action, could it instead be shrinkage when it cools ?

ie similar to candle making - the cooling wax shrinks more in the centre than at the sides giving a similar effect to your water troughs and hence needs further topping up.

The solution in that instance would be to apply it in several layers, leaving each layer to harden before adding the next.
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Tinman,

I tried to fill to around 3/4 depth and although shrinkage could be present it did seem to creep up the sides ....

This last weekend at my major scale model show I bought some resin. A twin pack of resin 'water' by Deluxe Materials, it comes with two syringes, my pack 180 ml will be way more than I need, think it cost around £11. I think this is similar to the two bottles given by a friend - his was unbranded and may well have been cheaper, I'll check on that later. http://www.deluxematerials.com
This resin mix seems to be quite runny and on the samples they had on view the margin scenery was, how can I put it ? ... waterlogged, in that it was shiny where the resin mix had soaked into the adjoining scatters. I'm certain this appearence, if not wanted, can be removed by use of matt varnish.
So much more exploring of techniques to follow !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi, Sorry about this ..... it's on twice, but I thought some wouldn't be reading the Caledonian 4-2-2 thread in the Hornby section.
This is part of the reason for producing Glentruss Halt, somewhere to have those great looking blue Caledonian locos. My scenics are there simply to enhance great looking machinery ..... I just love it !!!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:18 pm

This is just.....just.......just........well, i'm lost for words!

its incredible!!

You have insipired me to do something just like that but in 'N' despite me not being an 'N' person :D

I can fit more in a small 'N' layout.

very inspiration
very good
well done

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Me back again,

Thanks for the kind comments Trainsandco.

Well today I decided to make my Pug's tender. The Caledonian Pug's carried so little coal they often were coupled to converted wagon tenders. A friend at MKMRS gave me a redundant wagon which has been cut about and repainted - it was a yellow 'Jiff Lemon' version. I still have to paint the strapping black, add a coal load and weather. To my eye it's almost near enough, although I may try adding the running board along each side just above axle box level.
Been reading about the Dugald Drummond and later McIntosh 0-4-0's, it seems only 1 was ever painted Passenger Blue, all the others were black ..... but it's my railway and the Pug's not exactly accurate, but it's fine for me.

Geoff T.

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:48 pm

So you now have 2 layouts, and I haven't even started building mine yet.
Stephen T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:11 pm

True son-1, but then neither are finished are they ? AND I don't have a loft !!!

Now attempt 1 at using resin water - the instructions say sets in 24 - 36 hours, yep slow, can be sculpted around 8 - 12 hours after mixing.
The resins been flowing quite well, but I won't know how it will finally look until at least this time tomorrow.

At times it makes you wonder what nasties we choose to work with ..... Do I dump the mixing cup in the general waste or not ????

Another great learning experience .......

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Apart from painting something better on the back screen there is just the one little corner to be sorted,

Should I wire a Grain of rice bulb into the lamp hut ? this could light up dimly with the platform light when received and fitted. What do you think ?
The two lever ground frame placed there as it's all the space I have left, and in my 'dreams' it works the station starter signal and the siding point.
Still making the cattle dock fencing for which I'll use some fine brass wire rather than fine plastic rod so it'll withstand a few knocks.

Coal now added to the wagon tender, somehow I'd like to close couple this to the Pug. I have a poor photo from pre-WWI and it looks like there are no wagon buffers between the loco and 'tender', just perhaps blocks of wood ?

Geoff T.

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Should I wire a Grain of rice bulb into the lamp hut ? this could light up dimly with the platform light when received and fitted. What do you think ?

I would, I think it'd finish it off nicely :)
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Should I wire a Grain of rice bulb into the lamp hut ? this could light up dimly with the platform light when received and fitted. What do you think ?

I thought they were grain of WHEAT bulbs.........

but yeah, that sounds like a good idea :) :D

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Westy

Postby Westy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:22 pm

trainsandco wrote:

I thought they were grain of WHEAT bulbs.........

but yeah, that sounds like a good idea :) :D

T&C

Aren't GoR bulbs just smaller than GoW.....

You could also LED it couldn't you? Get a nice off white antique colour either way, or maybe a gas flicker?

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:10 pm

A simple web search produces thousands of results for 'grain of RICE' bulbs :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi All,

Both grain of Wheat and grain of Rice are both available and as that man (Westy) correctly said one is larger than the other - For me either would do.
The grain of Rice are 1.8 mm in Dia drawing 30 mA, while grain of Wheat are 3.0 mm in Dia drawing 80 mA (both on 12V) and as you may guess the smaller one is slightly more expensive, but we're just talking low cost for either, well one is around 30 p each the other 70 p. I'll want a quite dim warm coloured light to represent oil lamp lighting and thought the smaller one would be more suitable. Probably get 10, but have to check if by mixing clear and yellow the small bulk (for 10) reduction is lost. The price I quote is from an advertiser in RM.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:36 pm

While I wait for a few electrical bits to arrive I've started my heavy duty cattle dock fencing.
Made from plastic channel glued back to back to make the posts, then drilled with brass wire threaded through. I'll probably have to trim a mm or so off to reduce the level of that bottom bar. Still don't know how I'll make the gates, but a plasticard/profile job methinks.

The phone box and ground frame more or less where they'll be fixed.

Geoff T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:35 am

Today's post brought my package from Langley Models.
Couldn't resist fettling the Tumbrel cart, horse and farmer. This is a full set of white metal castings and in my opinion quite a keen price at only £5.70. The castings are, it is fair to say not the cleanest, but after light fettling with wet 'n dry, triangular file, and scalpel they come up very well.

Here I have taken and fettled the worst wheel and placed alongside one that I've not worked on yet. This flash is to be expected and very easy to remove

When made and painted this cart will have just passed through the ford, I hope bringing that road scene to life.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”