Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Those Hornby controllers. I saw the larger version at an exhibition recently and it was much larger then I had expected it to be. I'd seen them in pictures and not realized the size! It was almost half the size of the mans layout! (Though his layout was small). Not seen the smaller size for real yet though. It looks a similar size to the Lenz Compact to me.
Regarding Hornby 0-4-0's. Some have issues if the motor is not quite in the ultimate position. Also, of corse the pick ups need to touch the wheels without being over strong. Hence why modern versions have thinner pickups. It is a good idea to add extra pickups on the top surface of the wheels somewhere. I just have an electrical cleaning spray but be aware, while my narrow gauge locos are OK, some sprays can discolour RTR loco bodies as I found out by accident a few months ago. It is most likely that my paints are oil based and maybe most of today's RTR locos may not be? Not sure.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I wasn't aware of this layout Geoff, I'm going to have a thorough read of the thread. Have you still got it?

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 am

Hi carnehan,

Yes, I still have it somewhere in the loft. The old Hornby signal got snapped off when we were moving
4 years ago. It was an apprentice and experimental piece of work, all about trying out ideas and materials.
Probably for that alone it was worth rescuing, very much a historical piece.

As to the 0-4-0's they have had various weaknesses, but I've never found the need for additional pick-ups
although good adjustment and cleanliness are essentials. I have some 5 of them that will out perform many
more sophisticated and modern designs and with the added ballast my 06 will easily haul 30 wagons at a crawl
across insulated frog points and slips

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”