Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Son-1

Re: Glentruss Halt - A '00' DCC layout ?

Postby Son-1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:41 am

Dad-1 wrote:Trainsandco there are worse things !!

Like Corus!!!!! To have the smell of animal pens would be pleasant compared to the steel works. Some times it's coke (not to bad), others it's sulphur (strong).
Stephen T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Son-1

So why do you want to model a Scunthorpe line ......... simply because you can have the genuine background smells if the wind's in the right direction ?
Or is it the thought of all those sidings with their dirty & battered wagons ....m'be that's a good enough excuse !

Now the weathers changed for the better I suppose I'd better finish this little jobbie !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Glentruss had to be put away before Christmas and I've done next to nothing for two months.

Well today I soldered 6 DC plugs and sockets to complete the wiring requirements. There are two (different pin sizes) one for power and the other for lighting, inside the holding frame are two for each of the small boards, again power and lighting, the rear of the internal mounting holes easily seen.. As expected it all works 100% first time.

Then I had problems with the barrow crossing, I'd left a gap to suit a wagon between the rails however the loco flanges are somewhat thicker and dislodged them. Then I decided that as the barrow crossing covers the board join it will be vulnerable to knocks and decided to use blutack which means any dislodged piece can be easily re-attached.

My little twinkle light works just fine !

Now I just have to add scenics around the lamp hut, repaint the platforn fence, add the station name board and purchase a small water tower rather than make one. Oh and that back scene I'm chicken to paint hills and such .....
So what next another layout ????
Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm

I have not read all this thread thoroughly but please tell me....that blue hornby pseudo Caley coach on page 9...does it have a fitted interior? If it does, how come?
I would love to know as I have an interest (some would say due to age) in Edwardian Railways that this may spur me to develop.
Thank you
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi Rocketman,

Ahh ..... the imaginary Caley coaches ...... Sadly they have no interior although I had been thinking about experimenting, at one time even had the idea of cutting a door out to have one open. Let's face it there's not a huge running potential at Glentruss, so some artistic options required. As these can be obtained for around £6 it's not a great expense and you wouldn't feel guilty cutting one about.
At least 'one' Pug was painted Caley blue for hauling stock around the yard, so at least that's acceptable. But it's fun and I've learned loads from making up this apprentice piece.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Glentruss Halt in the late evening ...

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 pm

OK, I see what you mean, but you can get them cheaper at 4.99 from Hattons unboxed and often trains on time (annie and clarabel, need repainted) or my local second hand is usually about 5.00
I have 4 and am thinking of expanding my empire. I just have to decide in which directions as the liveries vary. I am looking at a couple of rakes to exemplify what might have run with a J83 and an NB similar to a Caley pug like yours. it would be an ideal starter train set and I cannot believe why they have not made one already (not seen in Margate)
anyway, enough ranting,
Please just keep on doing what you are doing and keep posting photos. They give me impetus, motivation
Regards
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:22 pm

OK Rocketman,

Edwardian Railways .... need Edwardian figures and having just finished painting the last fence section I decided to play with the camera (again). This time taking a shot from what would seem to be the top of the cutting - had to move a brown mat and trim the washing machine off the top.

Never enough surrounding layout on a 'mico' to loose the 1:1 scale world outside !

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Preiser used to to do a well detailed Edwardian set of figures. I will need to go down to my local shop on Saturday to see what he has.
Keep going with this. I can see it expanding though.
rocketman

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 pm

you said, what next.....another layout, well you could kind of do that, but have it able to be linked up to this, so a scenic break and then a layout set in a shed area or something, so its like a scenic fiddle yard or something?!?!

its only an idea

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:06 am

So here I go on the final leg of this journey ......
Adding ballast & scatters around the lamp hut area - still soaking wet & I'll have to wait until this dries before I can grass and add scrubb on the steep bank and around back part of the lamp hut.

Then, If I buy the boarding this coming week it'll be time to start St.Oval ...... using many of the techniques tested out on this apprentice piece.

Geoff T

buz

Postby buz » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:43 am

Hi
Thats quite some layout for a postage stamp.
I am puzzled that you would really do one hell of a job on the scenery, and not repaint the coaches in Caledonia Railway livery.
They look like the S&DJR version of the 4wh coach Caledonia coaches are plum and cream or is it
white.
You are unlikely to find the Caly four wheelers now they where the first ones done many moons ago.
A friend of mine butchered a Triang western toy tender into a suitable pick up tender for me
I had pick up problems with the little beastie have you had the same problems?? if so how did you cure them.
I rather like those loco's to the point I have HR, CRx2, MR and BR versions of it.
might have to steal your track plan "sound of breaking glass" :wink: :)
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Buz,

As the coaches are an imaginary design anyway (although roughly based on some hisorical examples) I left in blue to go with the Caledonian Pug and single wheeler 123. Obviously 123 comes with Dk maroon & white coaches although again Hornby used what they had, rather than do the accurate coach.
The effort put into small Micros and dioramas is to experiment with ideas some work, some don't, but all good preparation for a larger exhibition standard layout. My best example on NRM is the Programming track I recently finished.

Hornby 0-4-0's are a beast to get running well - it can be done, my class 06 shunters will navigate my oval track, crossing 3 insulated frog points (once from each of the 3 possible directions) at a scale 2 - 3 mph without stalling. I can't get the pug to run that well because there's not enough space inside the shell to add the lead ballast needed. DCC also helps with slow running, but loads of loosening up running (many hours), a good chassis where there is little 'rock' cross corners when on a flat surface, all contact whiskers giving good contact even at the limit of side to side wheel travel play. Yes and still some won't work well !! In that case adding pickups to the coal tender wheels, then hard wiring into the Loco will help and should give a final solution !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 pm

OOHHHhh Another thread repaired.

This is a real historic piece going back to 2009-10
The beginnings of that years Christmas game of find the 20p piece.
I wonder how many on here now remember that ?

All I've failed to replace are two small videos.
As said at the end, this was a 'learning' piece of work, a prelude to
St Oval that still lives on and is still unfinished. Before Castell Mawr
was even a vague idea in my head and when I had no idea what a
Kadee was !!

A piece of NRM history ?

Geoff T.

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Well done Geoff another sterling performance for the good and benefit of the forum.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”