Neworth Heritage Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Elsparrow

Neworth Heritage Railway

Postby Elsparrow » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Ok, so this layout is going to be my first true modelled railway. It takes ideas from the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway for the layout design

The name of the line will be the Neworth Line (taken off my current homeplace and a past village I lived in).

The design is on a 3.2m length of shelving with a depth of 36cm and will be a linear route from one station to another and then a set of sidings. Each station will have a passing loop to let the loco run to the front of the train.

The layout plan is:

Terrier

Re: Neworth Heritage Railway

Postby Terrier » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Hello, and welcome again :D

I like the plan you have there, particularly the run-round at each end of the line, not seen much of this before and (not cause it's yer first post lol) i like it a great deal. Plenty of options for stock movement, shunting and general operation. 8)

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Yes, the run-around is specifically stolen from the S&DJR. As I will mainly be running tank engines I could of let them push the trains, but its more fun seeing an engine pulling bum first.

I think that's about my 6th revision of the passing loops on the stations (regardless to say, measure your rolling stock right the first time) and the sidings have been through nearer 20 versions. Modelling in such tight space with 00 scale makes it hard to put in some decent shunting options, but I think I've nailed it for myself now.

Layout is going to be DC till I save up enough for the DCC stuff, which will then open up some interesting possibilites, especially my little GWR tank with his 4 wheel coaches!

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Well I am off to Modelzone tomorrow to fetch my ballast underlay and hopefully some shelf brackets from wickes.

Hopefully me and my dad can get the damn shelves mounted fine on my walls. Stupid plasterboard walls ¬_¬

Had the locos running today, my LMS stanier 2-6-4T easily pulled 3 LMS carriages, 2 GWR 4 wheeler carriages and 10 trucks.

Not bad I reckon, especially as there was no wheel spin pulling from a standing start.

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Only got this to add for now:

My current pride and joy, this thing pulls stuff like a drunk pompey lass.

Yes I know the pipes are on wrong way round on the cylinders, they are corrected now tho. Took the photo too quickly to realise.

Thats why you don't rush!

Still trying to find the right brackets for the shelves, have my underlay though, and hopefully if all goes well I'll have a Hornby Select controller for about £6

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:34 am

That's cheap! I'm eagerly awaiting my E-Z Bachmann which was £30... Also watching a 2-6-4 on eBay.

:)

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:48 am

Indeed. No one's been bidding on the blokes stuff and I've used him before.

If it stays like that I'll be having it. Means I can DCC my layout sooner

grahamt

Postby grahamt » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:13 am

Hi there! I think it's a cracking track plan :P although you've got you're work cut out for the point motors :? it'll be worth all the effort I'm sure!
Have you considered putting a turntable somewhere? I think it would suit this layout really well and could provide some more operation. But as it is I'd be well chuffed.
I've just put shelves up on plasterboard walls too - I was a bit nervous actually, since they have books on them :? But just take your time. I'm sure you know to find the wooden studs etc. But they're really strong, and would be more than enough to support a railway.

Best of luck! should be a great layout :mrgreen:
Best wishes,

Graham ~

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:23 pm

I have suitable fixings for the brackets to the wall. No brackets yet though.

Did consider a turntable but just too tight for space to fit a useful one in.

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Ok, still the ongoing dilemma of shelf brackets but there has been some updates.

Got a £40 second hand Hornby Select off ebay from my trusted supplier, have purchased one decoder so far, and I should be receiving a new motor off Hornby for the GWR tank, which I think I have worked out how to chip now (hide the decoder in the pannier part of the body!).

Also, most of the track is cleaned up and running the dodgy GWR motor fine at the moment, and have some PECO ST-204 tracks on the way.

Main issue is whether a standard london bracket is sufficient for the shelves, I can't envisage this layout being that heavy, especially as it's distributed over several shelves.

Hopefully by next week I'll have the shelves mounted and track starting to be laid.

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Interesting Update:

The size london brackets I have been looking at would appear to be able to take 70KG over the pair on a standard wall.

Would be well within my demands I believe so gonna give them a bash!

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:23 pm

Well some updates:

1) Bought 2 new decoders and a Hornby Class 14XX at Swindon and all locos now run on DCC.

2) Shelf brackets are bought and marks are on wall ready for fastening once a delivery turns up and I can go buy some spring toggles.

3) 3 sets of points are causing short circuits, meaning tomorrow a soldering iron, solder (duh) and some 24/0.2 wire are being purchased at Maplins along with some insulated fish plates.

4) Layout has been altered as upon a mock set-up the track wasn't fitting like AnyRail said it would. Not a huge change but the 2x R606 linking the 2 sets of points on the mainline has been replaced from bottom to top with: R643 going left, R643 going right, R610 and R600, and where the little wiggle at the top was is now just straight track. The 2nd R610 is now going after the R643 curve to the left of the top mainline point leading into the engine sheds. This also provides more space for the right hand station.

Pictures within the next couple of days hopefully!

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Whats a spring toggle??

I thought toggles came out in winter on your duffle coat!

Elsparrow

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Spring toggle is what you use when your walls are made of plasterboard.

Basically winged bit of metal with a spring, and a bolt, fit bolt through bracket, screw partly into toggle, push through hole in wall, make sure it opens and tighten it up.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Impressive looking Stanier tank!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”