Attic layout under construction

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
grahamt

Attic layout under construction

Postby grahamt » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi there,
I want to post some pictures here as my new attic layout progresses this Summer! Let me know what you think and if you have any questions! I'll try to keep at it - I'm a student and will be going back to term in mid September, so I'm hoping to get most of it done by then.

Here are the first load of pictures (I hope they come out OK :? ) starting from the baseboards to where I am now.

Baseboards finished:

Basic track loop:

Controls will go here:

The station progressing:

This is how I made use of a gap in the platform wall:

Painted points:
Best wishes,

Graham ~

DrStroganoff

Re: Attic layout under construction

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Good to see another loft layout !

Looks like a great start to me... Station is looking impressive, really like the Metcalfe station building.

Also good to see that you've painted your rails a rusty colour... definately a good idea to get that out of the way early on before you start your ballasting !!

Will look forward to seeing this one progress !!

What kind of stock will you be running? I noticed a few Gresley coaches in the pictures.... so LNER ?

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 am

so i guess the layout is 00 and is going to be dcc (hornby elite) I think you've painted the track well and the station is quite good.
Just wondering, are you going to have a tunnel?

Andrew/Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:08 am

Looks like you have made an impressive start there. Things seem to be moving quite quickly. :) What is it with everyone and having a tunnel on your layout? Then again I don't suppose I can talk because I have plans for one on my layout... I just haven't got round to doing it yet! :P

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 am

Makes a change from point motors I suppose :wink:

Graham - do you know what extremes of temperature your loft experiences in mid-summer and winter? It's just that many on here have started loft layouts in the past only to find it's too cold to work up there in winter, and too hot in summer even leading to track warping in some cases!! Plus dust and 'things' falling from the inside of the roof can be a problem, most people have fitted some form of insulation before getting too deep into layout building. Just a thought :)

Paul

grahamt

Postby grahamt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks guys!
DrStroganoff wrote:What kind of stock will you be running? I noticed a few Gresley coaches in the pictures.... so LNER ?

I've got (or rather it's my brother's) a flying scotsman and a set of coaches for that, and I have another four or five assorted ones from a friend. I've not got much stock at all for now, but I'm aiming to finish the layout before spending money on trains to run on it. However, being a student, money is pretty much non-existent :roll: !

Yes there will be two tunnels - but I have big plans, as there will be a branch line which will be on a different level to the main line. I'm just about to work on that but it's too hard to describe what it's going to be like so I'll put pictures up soon.

Hi Paul, I've considered this before now thankfully! I did have a small half-built layout up there for about a year and a half before I started on this layout, and there didn't seem to be any obvious problems. You're right though, on a baking hot day I'd say it gets to 30 celcius easily. I live near Aberdeen too, so at night in winter it frequently gets to -5 celcuis :? I've got a heater up there for the winter though. Hopefully it will remain OK through the seasons. Thanks for the advice though!
Best wishes,

Graham ~

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:28 pm

[quote=I'm aiming to finish the layout before spending money on trains to run on it. /quote]

Showing some serious restraint there... :lol: It wont last.... heh

My layouts have all been up the loft for the last 3 years and I've not had any trouble with warping etc... It does get way too hot in the summer to go up there mind...

Do you have a trackplan we could see ?

grahamt

Postby grahamt » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi again!
I've made a little progress the last few days. Namely tunnel mouths - I've ballasted and painted the tracks around them so I can now cover them up. I've also started wiring point motors up to the control panel. The branch line is the single track running away from the station in the middle - this has been fixed down and it goes up to the top of the incline at the moment. It is going to come out at the top of the slope and into a depot which will be on the raised section. I've not made much progress with this yet though.

Thoughts welcomed! :P
Best wishes,

Graham ~

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello Graham,
Nice looking Lay-out that you have fitted into the loft very-well. Good progress to date and I look forward to more of the same,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

grahamt

Re: Attic layout under construction update

Postby grahamt » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:34 pm

More work has been done in the last few days.

I've installed 5 point motors, all the ones required for the station. I've also just finished painting all the rails :D and filled in any gaps in the sleepers under the track with spare ones. I'm really pleased with the trackwork so far. If some of the rails in the photos look bright orange it's because the paint it still wet and I haven't rubbed down the tops of the rails yet.

Next project is ballasting :? .

Any thoughts would be great :wink:

Last edited by grahamt on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,

Graham ~

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Looks like you are making good progress Graham
Great to see another loft layout developing

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:39 am

good job with the point motors :D I think the one which goes behind the station looks a bit strange?
At least you remembered point motors first, then ballasting :D

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Graham

Echoing the above comments, it's great to see another loft-based effort. And particularly good to see another Aberdonian modeller! The north-east's not a good area for modellers, but there is a model shop in the Badentoy Industrial Estate in Portlethen, called H & I Supplies. Charlie, the owner, is a very decent sort indeed.

Cheers,
Gavin
(Also a student at Aberdeen)

grahamt

Postby grahamt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Yeah hobby-boy, I was going to mount it under the layout, but discovered it was too close to a wooden beam under the baseboards. So this is really my only option. I just cut a couple of holes in the walls of the platform, and used an extension arm. I'm planning on painting it to make it look like a network rail portakabin or something similar in the car park of the station. Or maybe a burger van - I see lots of these in car parks nowadays.

Blackmarlin - great to hear from you! I've not been told about the model shop in Portlethen - I'll have to go and explore. I live in Inverurie, so I go to Models Unlimited here, and they're pretty good. I've always managed to get what I need.
Do you know if there are any model shops in Aberdeen city any more? I know there used to be one on St Andrew Street, just off George Street. I think it's gone now though. It seems ridiculous that there aren't any shops in a city like aberdeen :cry:
Best wishes,

Graham ~

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:56 pm

grahamt wrote:Blackmarlin - great to hear from you! I've not been told about the model shop in Portlethen - I'll have to go and explore. I live in Inverurie, so I go to Models Unlimited here, and they're pretty good. I've always managed to get what I need.
Do you know if there are any model shops in Aberdeen city any more? I know there used to be one on St Andrew Street, just off George Street. I think it's gone now though. It seems ridiculous that there aren't any shops in a city like aberdeen :cry:

Hi Graham. There used to be three (possibly four) model shops in Aberdeen; now there are none at all. This is no longer a mild social deviation: this is a fully-fledged crime against modellers. As a result I tend towards overexcitement when I'm actually in a real-life model shop, and so it is that I have just returned from Edinburgh having spent £103 in Wonderland Models on the Lothian Road :oops: . Still, wait'll you see the pictures next week... :D

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”