Hello once again - Halecross Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bluechang

Re: Halecross Park **Updated**

Postby bluechang » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:26 pm

I've been thinking again about the added siding at the top of my layout which I've yet to order the turnouts for. I'm thinking, to give the layout an element of realism, I am going to hide them behind a retaining wall, and have a further expanse of urban scene over the top.

My thinking is that as the layout is on the small side and a double, having trains just going round and round chasing their tails is going to bore me after a while so, if I have some off scene storage lines, running a train onto one of these would give the impression it has gone to some far off town, and can then reverse back through the loops and back into the terminating station. And the added bonus is, if I decide to expand the layout, I have somewhere to connect the new board to the existing layout.

Comments? I do kind of get the idea I may be talking to myself, but I'm hoping this is more to do with the lack of progress on the layout and my poor excuses for not doing anything to it. I swear I am still waiting on nail punches to finish laying the track. I will order the turnouts required for the added siding on Monday (Triplets 1st Birthday today, so nothing done today and a small party tomorrow!)

I've also spied my next rolling stock purchase - I am wanting to order the class 150/1 in "centro" livery (371-326). I have the money for it, just think its pointless ordering it for it to sit in its box for weeks whilst I sort out electrics/track laying etc etc. Can anyone tell me how many decoders will this model require?

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:22 am

Hi mate, im watching! what point did you need. I only ask as ive just taken up a large quantity of peco set track and have a pile of points laying about. As with the center punch... are you sure thats wise? I always thought you shouldnt use them as it can warp the track, also if you ever want to take it up for any reason its realy hard to get a grip on the pin. If your ballasting at a later stage that should hold it better than any pin anyway :wink:

mike

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:15 am

Its good to know at least one person is watching! At the moment, the track is not usable due to the pins being too high. I have tried running my 66 round the layout, but keeps getting caught on the pin heads. I don't have any other hammer apart from a claw hammer. I could get a smaller one from somewhere I suppose. I guess the pin heads is what is holding everything up at the moment, as before I can start the ballasting of the track, I need to thoroughly test the electrics, but I can't do that until the pin heads are out of the way.

The pointwork I am in the process of ordering is a right and a left turnout (1xST5, 1xST6) and a couple of 1st radii half sections. I am also trying to make my mind up on whether to buy a class 150/1 in centro livery (GF), however I would like to run it as a 4 car unit, so also thinking I may wait for the 150/2 (GF) with the schaffenberg couplings and pick up a dummy set of Dapol 156's as that is the kind of combo I see round my ways. and most of the time it is 2 different liveries as well!

Are you suggesting to just bend the pin heads over rather than driving them down flush with the track ties and then remove them once ballasting is complete? If so, I'd not thought of that! it would mean I could test the electrics and start ballasting!! If you weren't suggesting that, you can take the credit for getting my head into gear to think of a work around.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Right - UPDATE :) or should that be :x :cry:

Finally done something to my layout this afternoon. Spent the last hour doing some work which has brought up a few problems from work I have already done :x
I have removed the sections of track at the top where the additional sets of turnouts are going to be positioned. There will be a further 3 R/H used to give two siding areas on the outer loop and a further one for the inside.

I have pinned half the layout down this afternoon. The other half will be done tomorrow afternoon after the final holes are drilled for the rest of the pointwork (In which case, the pinning may run into Wednesday as most of the points are on the side that needs drilling :) The pinning will probably rolls into Wednesday or possibly Thursday depending on how things go. As my arm gave out holding onto the hammer, I decided rather than leave the layout as is for the day, I decided to get the paper out and start making the templates for the platforms. There will be 3 platforms in total at my station and a through line in the middle. The larger of the 3 will be a kind of V shape, with the station building in front.

I haven't run any of my trains recently, so I decided to try out the section that has recently been finished, just to check out whether the electrics done last week work sufficiently. That's where my problems began. I tried my 37 on all three loop lines with no movement, then tried the two terminus lines - still no joy. Thinking the loco may have had a problem. I got my 66 out and tried that on all 5 lines - still no joy. 1 loco maybe having an issue is something I could deal with, but 2 brand new locos not working - no co-incidence. Pulled all the wires out of the terminal blocks, and isolated the terminus lines. Placed the wires directly from the controller directly into contact with the rails and sure enough, both locos worked perfect (well, when I say perfect, the 66 seemed to struggle to get going, so could probably need a little more lube.)

It just now means that I have to redo all the work I have done on the electrics and maybe section the track off - in other words, the station sidings onto one terminal block, the loops on another, and the back sidings on a further t-block. Hopefully, once I have done this, it should work.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi mate, put down the hammer! If you hit a rail youll dent the track. Really you need to get a good pair of thin nose pliers and push them in form above the track. With the electrics... have you got a multi meter? Sounds like a short. Check all wires are conectected up correctly one section at a time and you should find its something simple. Or for testing live sections on dcc get a dapol mk3 with a light bar in :) if the track is live the lights will be on.

mike

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:08 pm

I will put the hammer down for now :) FWIW the head of the hammer is over 6 inches away from the rail heads. I've not hit the rails once in the 4 times I have laid track in the past 3 years.

I've not got a multi meter. It was one of them things I did look at getting a few weeks ago however 3 kids frazzle the brain and I forgot to order one. I have already taken the terminal blocks out completely and will be wiring each section up individually to ensure no further complications. I was testing the layout with the DC controller for two reasons - the first being that before all the pinning started I had only just finished running the only dcc compatible loco in and it went straight back in the box; secondly, i've not worked out how to program the chip yet.

I didnt get to order the track earlier this afternoon for many, many reasons for which i wont go into, however I will do tomorrow once i have money in the bank. I think I will hang fire on the purchase of the 150 - the way I am looking at it is why by now when I can't run anything on my layout.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Minor update

Half the layout is now pinned (flush), holes drilled for the point motors and wires installed for DCC. I've made a couple of alterations to the layout above to give me some storage areas on the layout and two lines which will be hidden from view. The missing track work, which includes 4 turnouts and a couple of setrack straight sections has now been ordered. I decided against ordering the 150 as much as I want one - I didn't see the point in buying something I cannot use just yet. I'm hoping the track will turn up by Friday, as I had to pull a L/H turnout out of one side the complete the section I have done today.

I've not ordered a Multimeter yet - will do once I've found a decent one.

The Chief - I picked the hammer up again!! one thing I noticed when using the nail punch is that the pin does not go fully flush, as I pulled a couple of pins out earlier this morning with some pliers and it didn't do any damage to the track ties.

This picture shows the side that I've recently completed, ready for track testing and ballasting. The paper tacked down is to give me an idea of the size of platforms. personally, I think they are too wide (50mm) so I am considering cutting them slightly thinner - maybe 35mm, which I think is just shy of 8 feet in real terms.

A little closer up.

This one shows the other side, which is yet to be done. I need to drill the holes for point motors and pin the track flush like the other side. There are spots missing track. This is where the turnouts are going to be. I have changed the layout slightly on this side to lengthen the inner sidings by removing the double straight between the two turnouts and adding it onto the two siding areas. Also, on the outer loop, I have added the two sidings which will be hidden by the back scene. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I have added these to give the impression a train that has left the main terminus has gone to some far off town/city. Also, it means I can then run different trains without them all getting in the way.

I am only using the DC Bachmann controller to test the layout for power, as the DCC chip that will be put in the 66 has not been programmed yet, and the 37 needs chipping. This is the best in terms of overhead view without breaking my neck climbing on a swivel chair (which I can't don anyway). If you want a better overhead view, let me know and I will organise a step ladder.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:37 am

Looking good mate :) I like the layout of the platforms, more interesting than most. So you've sorted the continuity problems with the wires then? what was wrong in the end? Im trying to get a heads up for when i do mine :D . The multi meter is a good tool to have, also for non-railway use around the house. What size holes have you drilled for the points, does this mean if you fit motors you going with seep types?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 am

Not got that far with the wiring The Chief, in fact since removing the terminal blocks a few days ago, I've not really looked at it. I think the problem i had was I was trying to connect up a lot in one go and it has obviously backfired! I think when I have another go at the weekend I will section the layout into 8 sections and wire it accordingly, then connect the sections together and then to the controller.

I have drilled a 10mm hole underneath each point tie for point motors to be installed at a later date. I did the holes in stages to ensure the hole stays directly beneath the hole in the point tie. I've not considered which motor to use, however I have heard the Seep ones are better than the Peco ones, so will probably use the Seep ones. But considering there are 18 turnouts on the layout, it is going to cost a lot of money to buy them in one go, along with the various switches (will be using push to make and spdt switches), cdu and further power supply.

I am going onto ebay later on this morning and I will get a cheap multimeter - is there any difference between the different multimeters and is there any benefit from buying a more expensive one?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:25 pm

A few things to note.

Multimeter, additional pre-wired rail joiners and turnouts have been ordered. I am now at the mercy of the Royal Mail as to when they will arrive!!!

I was sat next to the layout yesterday thinking about how to make the platforms and it then dawned on me - I have cut the templates for the platforms at a scale of 4mm to 1 foot when I should be doing 2mm to 1 foot. The platforms I have now are the equivalent of 30 scale feet wide (approx 55mm wide) so i will need to take them up and re-cut them to 20 scale feet wide or 40mm wide

I also have a question for those of you who are watching my thread - How wide is a typical 2 lane road? I am going to attempt to scratch build a hump back bridge for the rear of my layout to access the upper level from the left hand side, after the turnouts so I need to get the sizing right.

EDIT :- why didn't I just google it - found it straight away. The average road lane is 7/8 feet wide so 2 lane road would be 14/16feet wide or 14/16mm-28/32mm wide at 2mm scale.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Royal mail eh... nuf said lol. What multi meter did you get in the end? I didnt think there was a specific width for platforms as they change depending on buildings and bays ect. Keep me posted on the bridge construction as ive got to make an overhead station building conected to a bridge.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:33 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:Royal mail eh... nuf said lol. What multi meter did you get in the end? I didnt think there was a specific width for platforms as they change depending on buildings and bays ect. Keep me posted on the bridge construction as ive got to make an overhead station building conected to a bridge.

Multimeter was a cheap effort from flebay - was £4 delivered - I had the option of an analogue one or a digital one - took the digital one.

There isn't a specific width for the platforms, its just after seeing the paper templates pinned to the table for a couple of days that I think that are a little wide for my liking. I think if my layout was a bit bigger (2 feet wider 2 feet longer) then I wouldn't have a problem with the current size.

I put a thread in the kit building section - apart from the lyddle end bridge which is £17 there isn't much out there. Zunnan replied with a scratch build suggestion using off cuts of foamboard and printed brick paper from scalescenes. He also added some photos of what he created for his layout using the same technique.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23603&p=291410#p291410

To add, I've also ordered a metal ruler for when I start buying scalescene/metcalfe/scratch build kits, and have changed my mind about the 150 - beerandpies in one of his threads, has said the FNW class 150/1 has been released so will be ordering that tomorrow, once funds have been transferred!

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:59 pm

few things have happened since the last post. The track has arrived from hattons, so have been drilling the point motor holes before pinning the turnouts over the top. Still got 7 to do, but I'm well on the way to being finished. The multimeter also arrived this morning which means I can get on with the wiring (again!) over the weekend, however I won't be able to do it all as i am still awaiting the prewired rail joiners from ebay.

I also gave into temptation this morning and have order the FNW Class 150 from hattons - £74 delivered so all being well, I should receive it tomorrow (its in royal mails hands)

hopefully this will come out. On here I have used paint to give an idea of what I am trying to achieve on my layout the two lines closest to the edge are behind backscene. A scratch built bridge from the middle of the layout to the upper sections will be at the bottom (see roughly coloured 'thing' bottom left) Tunnel entrance at the top for the to loop lines and a further tunnel entrance for the two hidden lanes.

EDIT: - 1541hrs
didn't want to add a further post on, so editing this one. 90% of the track is pinned completely 4 turnouts still needing point motor holes to be drilled and then pinned over the top.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:57 pm

I have found out what was wrong with the electrics - It was my gung ho attitude I had when I did it first. or it could have been I was tired, I don't know. In nay case, I found I had linked two wires incorrectly, incorporating a short into the wiring. My locos would run with the controller wires placed against the rails on an isolated siding, but not when the turnout was opened. Pulled all wires apart and low and behold, the loco moved.

Next time, I think I need to take more time and label every wire with inner/outer to try and avoid this happening again.

Also, If I post a photo of my multimeter, can somebody work out which setting it needs to be set on as the instructions are useless!!!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:30 am

Good work my freind, i can see what your going for with the tunnels. The tunnel mouth to tunnel mouth will be a nice feature. Now the track is ready its time for the fun bits :D Thanks for the link on the bridge, ive ordered some wire for my droppers and a couple of point motors so i will have to start a thread soon. It'll be nice to compair notes so to speek.

mike

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”