Hello once again - Halecross Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zunnan

Re: Halecross Park **Updated - new photos/Layout Design**

Postby Zunnan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 am

In the same vein, I'd suggest loft insulating board, essentially the same thing as foamboard, only thicker...Much thicker! It usually comes in approximately 20"x40" sheets which are 2" (50mm) thick, other sizes are available. Two sheets are more than enough to take scenery over the top of the railway even for OO gauge, although in N Gauge you can carve out the tunnel run in one sheet if two is too high. It is fantastically firm, and at the same time very carvable with knives, rough files or even wood planes; so you can make all sorts of scenic shapes. It can be sealed using a brush over of wet browning plaster as a base for using scatter or just directly glued over and hanging basket liner applied for scrubland. Planting trees in it is easy too...no messing around drilling holes! Just push the tree into the foam and jobs done! :D

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 am

Well, my plans for today have gone out of the window as I can't move!!

Regarding foamboard, it does sound interesting, however the loft insulating board would be easier to obtain for me personally as I don't know where my local arts/crafts shop is, whereas I have B&Q and wickes within a 5 minute drive which would sell insulating board. Also it looks like the loft insulating board is cheaper to obtain the quantity required.

What sort of hight will be required to lift the level above the layout as Zunnan mentioned it takes two layers to lift over OO gauge - would a single layer with cutout followed by a solid layer on top for the urban scene?

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:40 am

I used loft insulating board to support a town scene on my N Gauge layout. N Gauge needs a minimum clearance of about 45mm including track, so cutting shapes of foam to fit around the track with the town mounted on a lift off sheet of thin ply or card which sits on top of the foam would work very well and also leave access to the track below.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 am

Zunnan wrote:I used loft insulating board to support a town scene on my N Gauge layout. N Gauge needs a minimum clearance of about 45mm including track, so cutting shapes of foam to fit around the track with the town mounted on a lift off sheet of thin ply or card which sits on top of the foam would work very well and also leave access to the track below.

Thanks for that. I think I will invest in some of this type of boarding when I get to that part of construction - Not yet at that stage, so will hold off buying as there ain't that much space in the room my layout is in.

As an aside, the last 2 pieces of track (right turnout and 1st radii single curve have been ordered, along with another pack of track pins. Seem to be going through track pins like there's no tomorrow!!! All being well, they should turn up sometime at the start of next week, meaning I can fully completed the electrics.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:53 pm

I haven't done much today due to problems with my legs - what I have managed to do is install the final droppers ready for connecting up to the bus/controller. Not managed to do much else than that really. I have found an old plastic drawer set (3 drawers) which I have used to tidy up a bit. So now all the rolling stock/all the other bits are safe and tidy. Makes the table top easier to work with.

I know I have said in the past I would be using point motors on my layout, but I'm not so sure at the moment. The question should be should I drill holes for point motors if I'm not so sure I will ever buy and install them?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:37 pm

After thinking about the point motors situation, I have taken the decision to drill the holes as that if I ever get enough money to buy them in, the layout is ready to accept them. I have drilled four of the holes so far, using 3 different sized drill bits, making sure each hole is in the correct position before taking each point down. The rest will be done over the next few days, when I get a spare moment to go and do something.

I have also finally received the final 2 pieces of the layout - a right turnout and a half 1st radii for the loco siding. These have the droppers installed (prewired fishplates) and will have their corresponding holed drilled tomorrow and will also be tacked down once the point motor hole has been drilled.

All being well, I think I should be looking to start the ballasting in the next 2 weeks, if the speed I'm going at is anything to go by. Just need to get myself a spray bottle for the water/glue/washing up liquid mix.

New photos to follow, however, most will be showing exactly the same as all the others I've posted.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Not posted in a few days, so thought I'd give a small update.

The track that was pinned down last week had to be lifted to allow me to remove the points for drilling. So far I have done 8 of the holes, tacking the point and track down as I go, however I will need to go around again later to push the pins fully in so they are flush. All the droppers are now installed, and I have tentatively started the wiring job to get power onto the rails. I did test a loco on the track but only a short section as I noticed a slightly damaged point - fortunately is isn't damaged so much it will need replacing, but I ill keep an eye on it.

Not got any pictures yet again, I've not had chance to get hold of the camera recently. I promise though, as soon as I get hold of it, I will post some more up.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:15 am

keep it up mate, im laying track for my layout at the moment for dcc use aswell. What gauge wire have you used for your droppers?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:03 am

THE CHIEF wrote:keep it up mate, im laying track for my layout at the moment for dcc use aswell. What gauge wire have you used for your droppers?

I'l be honest, I'm not entirely sure as I am using prewired/soldered fishplates with my layout, and am then using terminal blocks for most of the connections. All the ends of the wires have been soldered, so unless I strip the wire down further, I won't really know.

Hows your layout going? you got a thread with pics? :)

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:05 pm

No thread as yet, ive just bought a digital camera so ill start one when i get the track plan sorted. Ill have an experiment with the wires and see how it goes :wink:

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm

I have found myself 45 minutes of free time in between looking after the kids today to do some work on my project - :D

I have managed to wire up half of the layout. not had chance to check it out as I need to get myself a pin punch to push the pins down flush with the track. Will also need to turn the table around 180 degrees to get in to do the other end as it is against a wall at the moment. Not finished the holes for the turnouts yet, but if I get time over the b/h weekend, I'll get them finished and finish off the pinning of the track (in prep of pin punch) Once this is all done, some serious testing is required before I can then have a go at ballasting (which should be fun)

This is what I managed to do this morning. This covers half of the two main loops and the two long siding/station runs. I did the prep for this last night, so was just left with connecting it all to the terminal blocks.

This is what is left to do - not exactly much, but it takes me a while considering I find it very difficult to sit on the floor for more than a few minutes at a time. I am thinking I need to figure out a way of being able to lift the top up to make it easier to work on underneath and also for any repairs should any need to be done. Any suggestions?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:50 pm

I have encountered a slight problem with the pre wired fish plates. When I was stripping the wires down, I took a look at what was under the insulation and it appears to only be 7 core/thread wire, which from what I have read, isn't really sufficient for electrification. I have tried the wired fish plates before and they appear to work as I had the old layout (in the photos on page 1) running using them.

Should I continue with them or take them out and put droppers in? Also, with DCC, does every piece of track need to we wired or can I get away with putting a pair of P/W fish plates (if I continue to use them) in each section? At the moment, I have one or two pairs in each section that is separated by a turnout dependant on the length of the section.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi mate, you dont need to do every piece of track, especialy as your using set track! As long as every thing is live then that should do :wink: As regards to the fishplates if there working then stick with them, remember if it ain't broke dont fix it...

mike

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:42 pm

Good point Mike - even if it did cause any problems it wouldn't take much to drill a few holes and put in new droppers soldered the the side of the rail.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:14 pm

I decided last night, on my way to bed, that I needed a few more storage lines on my layout, so am going to purchase a couple more turnouts and use the straight sections of track i have remaining to add a couple of storage lines at the back of the layout. Might as well make this slight alteration now rather than after I have ballasted the track (which will hopefully start sometime in the next 10 days or so.

new XtrkCad design below

The red section at the top is the minor addition to the layout for which I have to purchase 3 turnouts and a couple of 1st radii half sections. (EDIT - just checked it out on preview. The red sections don't show up in the picture it is the upper 2 lines at the top of the picture.)

Also, I've ordered a couple of nail punches form Ebay over the weekend, so just waiting on them to turn up and then I can get on with the rest of the layout (hopefully a little quicker than what I have been going)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”