Hello once again - Halecross Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bluechang

Re: My N Gauge Layout - Halecross Park

Postby bluechang » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:41 pm

Some new photos - although they show pretty much everything that the last few have shown. Apologies as they are a little blurry (taken on my mobile phone)

Photos Removed see below

I really do need to get some batteries for my camera!!!

EDIT: 6th August 2009 - Taken photos down as I agree with SPAVO that they are pretty terrible and not a reflection on what my layout will hopefully look like in the future. Will add some better photos soon.
Last edited by bluechang on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 am

Not one for me to ever be controversial, however, do you think you could add some sort of commentary to the photographs? It makes it far more interesting to the viewer, also, you could also have a tidy up before taking the photo's, all I noticed was the big drill in the middle of the shot and finally, I would say not to post wobbly blurred photo's, it doesn't take a minute these days to take 20 digital photo's to only use 4....

I hope you don't mind me saying, I am keeping up with your layout and enjoying the progress so just thought a few well intended tips might be in order.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:24 am

Good points Spavo and all that will be taken. It doesnt look very good does it - tidiness that is!!! The wobbly blurred photos, I couldn't do much about - my main camera is out of action at the moment so all the photos are taken on my mobile. Will try and get my camera sorted later today and will get some better ones up on the site WITH SOME COMMENTARY - I will take those last few photos down as, after a second look, they are terrible.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 am

Right - found the batteries for the camera. Wasn't that hard to find them, they were in the craphole that I call the spare room. just couldn't find them for the mess!!!

This is the layout in its final position - the back edge has been pinned to an extent - I need to get a punch to get the pins fully driven into the baseboard. As you can see, there are still bits missing. Hattons have been on a go slow in the last few week so I'm still awaiting the final pieces of the puzzle as it were.
The siding are in the middle is going to have a loco stabling area ( the uppermost point) and the other sidings is for storage of rolling stock.

You should also be able to see my new DCC controller. I went for the Bachmann EZ Command in the end as it was cheaper (paid £31.50 for it brand new) and would allow me to then go ahead and buy a few more pieces of rolling stock and more importantly another DCC ready loco and chip! Not ordered this yet, but hope to be at some point today.

Hopefully once I've finished the back of the board is going to have a station with island platform and a further platform right at the back. The the station end approx 1foot from the end of the right of the board, there will be a tunnel entrance and over which there will be some form of town/village scene with station building at the edge overlooking the platforms. the third loop in the middle will also go through a tunnel but further around, so will go past retaining walls before entering the tunnel. I'm also thinking for entrance into the siding area, there should also be some form of bridge/ramp down to the middle to allow access, but not worked out how that will work yet.

As I said above, I have bought the Bachmann EZ Command to control my DCC Loco. from what I have read the PSU supplied will allow control of two trains at once, which, for the size of my layout, is about all that I would be able to run.

Some of my rolling stock including the class 37/4 Bullidae in Intercity Livery. I had decided to model my layout in the era of sectorisation - 80-90's however, upon thinking about it, i will just run whatever I fancy. My birthday is coming up in the next few months and I have let it be known that I fancy a voyager cross country for my layout :D We will see what happens!

Siding area - the top section of two tracks is where the loco stabling will be. the other three tracks will be for rolling stock.

This is how I will be electrifying the layout. I have used pre wired fishplates. I have drilled a 2mm hole directly below the fish plate to feed the wire underneath. The ones I have done on the other side of the layout are practically invisible now and will be un-noticable once the track is ballasted.

Sorry Spavo - its a bit messy underneath here. I have purchased some twin core flex to run the bus around the layout and will loop back to the left of this photo. I have also a makeshift shelf (which isn't shown here -its not attached yet) to attach to the outside for the controllers to rest on. This will be corked as well for continuity and also as it gives the controllers something to grab onto (if you know what I mean)

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:53 pm

so have you tested out your new controller yet? I would have tested it as soon as i got it. Well done for making the wired fishplates invisible, it's quite easy if you drill on the right place but it's quite hard as you move the track. The next thing you'll be buying will be the EZ command add on controller.

EDIT: your photos aren't that terrible

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:14 pm

An excellent update, great photo's and good commentary......very well done, yours really is a good looking layout, more so I'm really glad you found your camera batteries....

Nice one,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:18 pm

hobby boy wrote:so have you tested out your new controller yet? I would have tested it as soon as i got it. Well done for making the wired fishplates invisible, it's quite easy if you drill on the right place but it's quite hard as you move the track. The next thing you'll be buying will be the EZ command add on controller.

EDIT: your photos aren't that terrible

Andrew

not had a chance to test it out yet - not got a loco with DCC chip, however that will change tomorrow as I've put an order in with Hattons (again!) for a class 66 DRS.

Also the final bits of track arrived this morning so I've managed to lay the rest of it!! I have also drilled the holes for the point motors for when i can afford to get them in. Most of the track is pinned down with the exception of the siding areas as I've had to stop for a bit to look after the kids and do some domestic'y bits around the house.

I have some photos of what I've done so far, however, they haven't been put onto photobucket yet, so I will post them a little later on.

Hobby Boy - The photos I was talking about (the terrible ones) have been removed and the ones above are new ones I took this morning on the proper digi camera. These ones aren't so bad - the others on the other hand, were terrible!!

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:44 pm

Wow - a first for me - 2 updates in one day!!! Don't know how, but I've managed to find a few hours today to do some bits to the layout.

This is the last bit to drill access holes for the point motors (when I get them) also need to wire each area of the points and pin all sections down, removing the final fish plate at the end of each siding. (for aesthetics)

This is the front section, all pinned, wired and holes drilled. As I said in the earlier post, I need to get a punch to fully drive the pins into the board. Either that, or I need to get a hammer with a smaller head - Which will be best? note the many, many bent track pins!!!

This is what I have been waiting for for the last week, shame nearly all of it is being returned to Hattons. The order was for 12 ST1 standard straight sections, nylon fishplates, a further Bachmann power clip and more track pins, but the last three are being returned after the change of plan re controlling the layout (going DCC rather than DC) Also you will see in 4 packs, the wired fish plates, which were acquired from Ebay for the princely sum of £6.50 inc delivery

Hobby Boy - you congratulated me for making the wired fishplates. I have a confession - I didn't make them, I bought them from Ebay. I wish I had made them but hey, life is short when you've gotta look after 3 11 month old babies who like getting into anything and everything.

jweighell

Postby jweighell » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Had to laugh at the trail of bent pins around your layout - exactly what mine is like at the moment!

Looking good by the way - makes me wish I'd gone for N gauge by how much track you can fit in a small area...

Jonathan

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:00 pm

you should have seen the side I did the other day, it was far worse than that. Every other pin I used bent. I figured out that I wasn't hitting the pin hard enough. Not sure why but when I went gently gently with them, a lot of them would bend, but as soon as I gave it some welly, they went in with no problems. That was last time, the same trick obviously didn't work as well with this side.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 pm

I gave up on pins and lightly screwed wood screws between the sleepers.
I've seen a few people use PVA glue with cans of lager to weigh them down... Great excuse to buy a slab! :D
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:59 pm

bluechang wrote:Hobby Boy - you congratulated me for making the wired fishplates. I have a confession - I didn't make them, I bought them from Ebay. I wish I had made them but hey, life is short when you've gotta look after 3 11 month old babies who like getting into anything and everything.

But i disn't say you made them, i knew you got them off ebay when i wrote the message. i said about making the wire not show when you look at the layout. I know that the peco pins are easily bendable so i use pliars to hold them up straight and hammer, if they bend, i put them back up right, the hornby pins are better as they don't bend.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:53 pm

I got myself slightly confused - I was having a moment!!! Slightly perplexed by Hattons at the moment. Placed an order for delivery for tomorrow earlier on, only to call them 30 minutes after to ask to cancel one item. I have an email saying a refund has been actioned, yet the packed list they sent me includes the item I asked to be taken off - Might need to call them in the morning once it has arrived and find out what happened.

Also, even though I've got a new loco ariving tomorrow, I can run anything on the layout for a number of reasons. 1. Track pins are not flush and so catches on the underside of my 37/4 and secondly all track is pinned down so cannot run it on dc unless I find some croc clips or something. Just gives me something to work towards - a new loco to run.

finally for the night I have two questions.

1 Ballasting - where can I get it from, How much should I need to order, what colour would be the best to get?

2 DCC chip and NEM socket - where should the socket be? How easy it is to access and install.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:44 pm

Received a lovely parcel this morning. It was my order from Hattons :D Opened it to find my Dapol Class 66 DRS and 4 bulk aggregate Hopper wagons. Not happy with the Class 66 as it arrived damaged (buffer snapped off, and plastic box smashed on a different corner), so I'm taking a trip down to Hattons to get it replaced either with another one or something different, depending on what I see! Any suggestions on what to get? No steam thank you very much, and it needs to have a DCC socket as I'm not confident enough with the soldering iron to start soldering DCC decoders to the PCB. I would love to get a class 220 instead of replacing the 66, but its something that is a little out of my reach regarding money at the moment (would need another £50 and would also need to buy a further DCC decoder (£22) as I believe it needs two, one for traction and one for lighting)

I did have pictures of everything, but the camera has gone missing! When I find the camera, I will post the images I have up onto the thread. To give you an idea of what I have I will post a link to the wagon I bought on the Hattons website.

I bought 4 of these with the possible intention of buying a few more to be towed by the Class 66 (that is if I get a replacement 66). I'm also thinking that when I find the right ballast, i will add some into each of the wagons to give them a little more weight.

With regards to the layout. I'm not sure whether I'm going to be able to do anything to it over the weekend as we have my partners dad staying with us for the weekend, and he is staying in the spare room and that is where the layout is stored. If I manage anything over the weekend I will post an update, and when I find the camera, I will put some more photos up of the bits I've bought.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:21 pm

The wagons that I have purchased do look a little, shall we say, bland? They do need weathering at some point, but do you viewers think the ladders should be painted a different colour? I'm thinking that they do, to make them stand out as ladders and not just some moulded plastic stuck at the side?

Your thoughts?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”