Hello once again - Halecross Park

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zunnan

Re: Halecross Park **Progress and Photos Page 12**

Postby Zunnan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:44 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about it, a cinder gap is very much steam era so wouldn't fit in with your layout.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Zunnan wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it, a cinder gap is very much steam era so wouldn't fit in with your layout.

I have just been watching some vids on youtube of railway related bits to see if I could see an example of a cinder gap, and of the vids I have watched, I didn't see any. The only thing I did see was concrete cable conduits. So, on that basis, I think I won't be adding cinder gaps into my layout as I only ever see myself running modern diesel locos (maybe a steam loco every now and again, that is, if I buy myself one)

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:15 pm

I have laid most of the ballast onto the layout - I think I am approx 75% of the way through. All of the ballast laid today is not glued as yet as it needs adjusting in places. Hopefully, i will have it sorted out in the morning and the gluing of this area will be done tomorrow.

I also took a slow, painful trip into town this morning, with the intention of getting the paints for the tunnel openings, the platform edgings and other bits for the layout, however after going into my local Modelzone, the only thing I found that was on my list was a track rubber and even then, when I went to pay for it, I couldn't use my debit card, so left that as well. Out of the entire list I went for, I came back with a bottle of black poster paint!!

So back to ordering everything online from now on.

Just out of interest, what are readers preferred methods for constructing platforms? I was initially thinking of using some offcuts of material used for the table, but its too thick. i then thought about buying some Balsa wood and then using some concrete sheets downloaded from scalescenes or something. What is everyone's preferred method?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:12 am

All the ballast is laid where I can do so far. its not glued yet, but its down which is the main thing I suppose. I haven't done any of the turnouts as I will need to paint some glue in between the track ties and drop a small amount of ballast into the gap. This will be done last and at night when the kids are in bed so there is no noise to disturb me. I will probably be gluing the ballast later on this afternoon/tomorrow. The tunnel will be started in the next week or so as I will hopefully be going down to my local Wickes to purchase a pack of insulated foamboard.

All I can say is 13 pages and I haven't even finished gluing the ballast - This must be a record for waffling?!?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Been busy buying some more stuff for my layout - some rolling stock and a couple of other bits.

This one shows the subway staircases for my station, the tunnel mouth kit for the tunnel at the top end of the layout and a further midland mainline mk3 coach

2 peco wagons

further 2 peco wagons

midland mainline mk3 coach

subway staircase kit, inc small brass sections needing to be cut out and affixed to the plastic mouldings.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Just thought I'd post. I have not been very well recently what with my legs, back and having a generally bad cold. I have been looking in on the layout as I go past the room, thinking I should try and do some, but at the moment, I don't feel like it! I'm hoping that I will be feeling better in the next few days and then I will start doing more to progress the layout a little faster than what I have been doing.

bluechang

Hello once again

Postby bluechang » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Hello All.

I thought i'd better come back and post something as I don't think I have been on here since the last time I posted!! (naughty me!) Anyway, I am still unwell, but feel upto doing something to the model railway on the next few weeks. But there is a big BUT, for reasons beyond my control, I have to move my layout from the spare room, to a nook at the top of the stairs. the area I have available is approx 3 ft 6 inches by 3 ft, however I am going to go with a 4ft x 2ft board and have it sat over the top, with ample ends to stop anything falling off the board (3.6 metre vertical drop - 720 scale feet drop top the bottom!)

needless to say, i'm a little annoyed as I have to rip the rails up for a third time, and you guys reading this musty be getting fed up with the constant change of mind, however I think change may be for the better as the other layout, i couldnt run two trains in opposite directions without constant interference from me making sure sure they don't collide.

I am in the process of redesigning a simple double loop with sidings and also building the new, lighter baseboard (main requirements for the baseboard is that its easily moved, lightweight. I will need to purchase some more cork matting as well, but rather than covering the whole board, i will just do under the rails to give a raised look to the rails and it will also aid ballasting.

So, generally, i need some ideas for the layout - can anyone suggest anything to fit a 4ft x 2ft board? I'm after some shunting space, a through twin line station with maybe a terminating line on the inner loop? To avoid making this thread any longer than it needs to be, I will post a new thread in the layout design area and see what comes up.

Anyway, if I don't post before, Merry Christmas to everyone and all the best for 2010!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”