OO. DCC. Setrack....Canon Dale Colliery

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
hobby boy

Re: OO. DCC. Setrack....Canon Dale Colliery

Postby hobby boy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:02 pm

0121modeller wrote:the sleeper can then be slid between rail & baseboard , a little evostick (or similar) carefully applied & the single rail retainer will help stop movement.

or you can use superglue! if the plastic ledges fall off, then deffinetly use superglue!

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Exactly what I did...a 'Peco code 55' on them :lol:

Removed the chair detail, shaped the sleeper edges for best fit around the screws, cut a shallow channel into the sleeper tops where the rails pass and slid them into position with copious amounts of glue to hold them there once in place. I've also done a major hack job on two setrack straight points to close the 6' way between them for the exchange sidings to make room for the loading screen siding and hidden siding that runs 'behind' (inside) the colliery buildings. Not much else to update on, my attention has been taken by two of my class 25's developing a transmission fault where the plastic collar on the motor shafts have worked loose causing a bogie or two to seize up.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Quick update....

I'm still shying away from making the 4th and final board for some reason, preferring to tinker around with bits and pieces. My latest tinkering as seen me attacking the scenery already! I have shaped and carved a few lumps of loft insulating board to form the short cutting which surrounds the bridge photographed earlier, made a start on painting the rails (rust on the outside edges, a grimy mix on the inside edges) and also had a play with the grass on the embankment leading to the viaduct. For this I have opted to use hanging basket liner after pricing up doing the same area using dyed teddy bear fur and almost passing out. I still think the fur would look miles better at representing long grass, but the basket liner is a reasonable representation of an embankment covered in bind weed/brambles; see photos~

You'll be sick of the sight of 58 041 before this layout is completed! However, it is the most tempramental locomotive I have so is a good barometer for track problems. You can just see the sub layer of foam and the bridge beyond, this will get a layer of hanging basket liner when the bridge is painted and ready to plant.

The view from the other board edge sees one of my faithful little Rats inspecting the latest work on its home. I was going to ballast before adding the grass, but after opening up the hanging basket liner and seeing just how easily it can be spread I decided it be best to fix this in place first, then tease the edges over the ballast once that is done. Because it if very easy to pull to bits even when glued in place, I think I will have to find a way of gluing the surface of the liner so that it holds in place eventually, otherwise there could be some problems with locomotive gears and loose fibres from the grass.

jweighell

Postby jweighell » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:05 pm

I like that effect a lot! Can I ask which brand of hanging basket liner you used? I've been thinking about trying this myself....

Jonathan

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:15 pm

It's Gardman Easy Liner, they sell it in B&Q but I got mine elsewhere as it was slightly cheaper. Theres a lot of slots cut in it for obvious hanging basket related reasons, but nothing that can't be teased out and hidden with copious amounts of glue! My only niggle with the stuff is that there is the odd red fibre in it which needs removing, but for the price i paid for it (£1.25 a pack), I'm more than willing to get the tweezers out.

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Hello Zunnan,
Just brought myself up to-date with your Lay-out. It's looking very good and interesting. I don't have a problem with "coughcoughchokechoke" Diesels on your Lay-out :lol: :P and I will be sticking very rigidly to 1895-1938 era steam. Currently I'm a 1/5th of the way through cementing the base for the 16' x 20' shed. I haven't modelled Railways since 1960 so I'll be starting from-scratch. Your "grass" is looking quite realistic. Could I suggest using a copper-wired brush, gently brushed upwards to create slightly taller grasses. Try it on a sample-piece to see what you think, and you do get tallish red weeds in real-life,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Dont take it personally but I am not a fan of the basket liner :(
Its just there is a bit too much of it,it doesn't look quite right either,maybe it does need "fluffing" up but it just looks like what it is to me.
Maybe with some other scenery on it it will look better,I know you are still in the early stages :D
I know there is a track plan but can you do a picture of the whole layout?
Having a job working out in my head which bit is which :mrgreen:

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:08 pm

I know what you mean about the liner still looking like liner, I'm not 100% sold on it myself yet and fluffing it just makes it look even more like liner. I think when the fence and ditch at the bottom of the embankment are done, that should break up the sea of green fibres, a few bushes etc. I still think that tan/brown teddy bear fur is the way to go, sprayed with a greenish paint and matted down, then teased to length with a stiff brush after the paint has dried.

I'll get an overall shot of the layout when I've built the last board and laid more track than is currently down on just one and a half boards. Don't ask me why, I just can never seem to motivate myself lately to build it before it's too late in the night to get busy with a jigsaw and hammer! :lol:

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Less of an update more of a query, probably one for 0121 come to think of it.

This photo gives an idea of what is to be done with the road bridge at the Colliery entrance, naturally there is a lot of work to do with the abutments. Now that I'm actually building it rather than picturing it via an old plan, it just seems a little out of place...The idea is that the main line being built in the 1870's originally used the low viaduct, but due to the expansion of the colliery under the newly formed NCB in the late 1940's it was necessary to cut in a new access road via a new bridge. Extending the viaduct with a brick arch was not an option on cost and labour grounds, and the canal wharf still had high levels of coal traffic so could not be mothballed and filled in for the road to use an existing arch; the roadway would however be the demise of the wharf eventually. The viaduct on the East approach lines at New Street was widened using girders, but would lengthening a structure in the same manner seem plausible?

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:35 pm

It kind of reminds me of where one of the Merseyrail lines crosses the A59 in Aintree... However in that case, there is a larger space between the old and new bridge. Pity I can't find any good pics online.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

grahamt

Postby grahamt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Looks really impressive! I like the hanging basket liner too, cheap, probably much quicker than other methods, and simple. But very effective. Great layout!! Looking forward to seeing more :P
Best wishes,

Graham ~

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Difficult to tell what it looks like in real life but that basket liner looks great in pics!

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:17 am

Less of an update more of a query, probably one for 0121 come to think of it.

My ears are burning ! :lol: :lol:
I've added a few photo's to my bridge thread which i hope may help you with your query,... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16973&p=286824#p286824

Have a look at page 2 also, as Grotland has added some interesting photo's, one of which seems to be 2 bridges parallel but at slightly different heights,.. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16973&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p246976

HTH a little :)

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 pm

I've completed the wiring for two boards...well...the track feeds for the main running lines and Colliery headshunt anyway. I have 13ft of working railway! :mrgreen: Only another 11ft of main line and 20ft+ of sidings to go...The fourth and final board is also almost complete, it just needs the top fixing in place and corking (will I put that off for another 2-3 weeks?!)

Being a DCC layout it uses a Bus wired as a ring main with the droppers joined in as and where needed, but what is slightly unusual in my wiring is that I am wiring it exactly as you would find it in a house, ie: it is a 3 wire system consisting of 'Live' (red), 'Neutral' (black) and 'Common' or Earth (green). You may question why, and the answer is simply to save on wiring. 'Live' and 'Neutral' are the DCC Bus, while the 'Common' will be used to link every point motors negative connection meaning that each point motor requires only two wires back to the control panel, reducing the number of wires crossing the board joins meaning that I need smaller DIN plugs/sockets. I may also see if it will work in using the 'Common' as the return leg for any lighting that will be fitted to the layout, it's wired in 27A cable so should cope with my demands. The DCC works across the board join currently completed perfectly well, unfortunately there are no point motors fitted as yet so I can't test that the system will work fully; although I see no reason for it not to.

Something else I've done is start the ballasting! :shock: I only intended on doing a small section to test the track weathering, but I got a little carried away and the next thing I knew I'd done most of the end board along the embankment! On the plus side, I now know that my idea of using a rubber compound (Bostick Solvent Free Impact adhesive) to glue the cork down works in retaining the corks sound deadening qualities once ballasted. Even with the track pins left in place it is only very slightly louder than an unballasted section of track laid on cork. Perfect for DCC sound locos! In addition to this, I've found the flux I'm using likes to attack the nickel silver rails, even though it's for soldering etched nickel silver kits. So to combat the corrosion I've thoroughly cleaned the affected areas and painted the rail sides and over the soldered rail joiners to prevent further oxidisation.

A class 40 gives the ballasted track a good thrashing with a short parcels service while a class 08 potters around with a few HAAs in the Collery headshunt. As can be seen, the rail sides are done in rust on the outside edges while the inner edges get a coat of grime. A final wash of mucky browny khaki stuff will bring the shades a little closer together as well as the sleepers, but it all should still be suitably different when done. I think the basket liner is about as good as it will ever be, it's been brushed and glued, then brushed and reglued to within an inch of its life, much more and it will start to thin out too much.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:22 pm

All main running lines and the bay platform are now laid and wired up. The whole thing has been given a thorough shakedown running propelled trains to check for difficulties in crossing the board joins for fine adjustment (file and track rubber!) although one casualty has been a sound fitted class 37 which has been fried by a Lima vehicle shorting a point it was crossing! I knew the wheels were a bit coarse on Lima, but not so wide they short across the back of a setrack frog! :shock: Needless to say, any Lima stock which is to be used on the layout from now on will be rewheeled beforehand.

I am holding off laying the Colliery and station sidings for a while, I need to sort out the Kadee uncoupling system that I am to use, so am trialing electromagnets as well as fixed permanent magnets. This leaves me with the option of building the station or building the bridges and wharf. Either way, it's time to enter new territory for me and actually start doing scenic work in earnest; something that no layout I've ever done has reached the point of...Fun times!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”