Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Postby mikem64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi Gents,

Things seem to be progressing as normal here at Wordsworth, by that I mean one step forward & two back. I really am having the most awful luck with everything I do or touch.

I was up in the loft over the weekend & my nice new mimic boards started to come apart, the labels which I had sealed with approx 12 coats of acrylic varnish started to curl at the edges. I had to do some emergency repairs which involved removing all the switches, glue the label back down then use some tacky clear plastic to cover the full board.

This was an option I first thought about using but I really thought the acrylic varnish seal would have been enough, if anyone copies this idea go for the tacky back plastic covering option, it's 100% fool proof. I then had to connect & install all the switches again, have one board fully operational, will do the other panel later as I run the new cables to each point.

I also did a spot of scenic work around North Junction 2, really need new name plates as it's actually East cross over 2, but that's just cosmetic. I used some of my own design concrete paper for the signal box, then once this was fixed in place with PVA I did a small spot of scatter, really makes a big difference from seeing bare baseboards.

I had some issues with the Bachmann water tower, stupid thing kept falling over before the glue could take hold, I came up with the idea of fitting a small dowel to the base which would then go into a hole drilled into the baseboard. Great idea apart from one thing, I broke off one water filling pipe, the ladder & one of the filler pull chains.......super :cry:

After making repairs I glued the water tower in place, thankfully you can't see my repairs. So it's now time for a few photo's.

A quick view showing first section of the retaining wall, along with a few loco's parked up.

Nice view of a waiting DMU at the signals waiting to enter the station

Here we have the signal box in situ & a little bit of scatter completing the last little bare sections.

Sir Charles Newton stands taking on water at the fully repaired water tower.

Nice overview of how busy this junction is with many lines converging.

Hope you all enjoy.
Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Always amazing what some ballast and vegetation scatters can do to a scene.
Too late to help now, but where things tend to fall over I either use dressmaking
pins for lightweight structures, or cut-off panel pins superglued into suitable holes
drilled in the base of said structures and then plug into a baseboard hole that's as
near to an interference fit as possible.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi Geoff,

Fair point about supporting structures whilst glue dries, unless using instant grab stuff.

Well I've been taking time out doing a spot of YouTube browsing watching general layout updates & some tutorials on weathering, it's the weathering tutorials that got me fired up yesterday & I had to give it a whirl, I'll update a link to the video I was watching that spurred me on as it's truely amazing.

For my first wagon test it was going to be an oil tanker just like in the video but they are all boxed away, however I spotted a Dapol / Mainline coal hopper sitting on my coal drop point which was just screaming out to be tested upon.

The technique is simple enough, spray the piece with matt varnish, then using weathering powders applied to the model in layers you then fix each layer by spraying IPA via the airbrush, this fixes the weathering powder to the matt varnish so it doesn't come off in your hands.

Well after a few hours yesterday evening I can now show off my first weathered wagon.

Here is my starting point, lovely nice & shiny wagon.

Now as it looks after my weathering work........

Here it's being shunted up the coaling ramp to the drop point.

Final touch will be to add some realistic coal to finish the model off.

So armed with my new skills I said this version of Wordsworth would be a dirtier place.....LOL

Hope you enjoy the photo's as much as I do the model.

Cheers Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Very Nice Mike,

Sadly I gave up on airbrushes about 20 years ago.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Boïschaut

Postby Boïschaut » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Wonderful layout ! :D

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:53 pm

The results, such as yours Mike, make an airbrush a very tempting proposition. What puts me off is the learning curve once I had one in hand. Can I be bothered learning a new trick?

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 pm

It's nice to see Wordsworth arising again from the debris of its former existence. Also nice to see you have gained the confidence to bring a touch of weathering to it. I always think of Wordsworth as existing in that imagined period when everything was supposed to be clean and polished, but we all know if you looked on the back roads of the goods yard you'd find grubby and faded wagons that no one loved.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Bufferstop wrote:It's nice to see Wordsworth arising again from the debris of its former existence.

I will second that comment.

Love the wagon too 8)

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:05 am

Hi Mike

I have been away from modelling for a while and was surprised to see of the demise of Wordsworth, I ended up dismantling my layout and started afresh,
But your new incarnation is coming along nicely, I have not looked at all the pictures yet but will definitely do so.

The church yard and the pond-age is very impressive, You are still definitely the King of card, looking at your photo's will get me motivated again to get cracking with my layout.
Tony

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi Gents,

First many thanks for all those nice comments, it's nice to know Wordsworth is still being inspected by fellow modellers.

Well this layout is certainly testing me, the track work has been down for ages now, 10 different locos have been used to test the full thing before the ballast work started & it still manages to throw a curve ball at me.

I've a brand new loco a Hornby B17 which I fitted with a Zimo sound decoder, tested fine, it's done maybe 2hrs running round the track, a full YouTube video was filmed with now issue. Then today I started to get problems with this loco as it went over the Peco streamline points, short circuits right on the frog area of the points, never happened before so why now & it only happens whilst the loco is at shunting speeds (Dead slow)

After watching the loco over the points for a few hours you could just manage to see the issue, the wheels were getting close to the opposite rail right on the frog causing a blue spark to jump rail.

After a quick search on the good old internet it seems to be a common fault with Peco insul-frog points, never had this with my old Hornby points on old Wordsworth, only issue I had at times were with short wheel based loco's like 0-6-0 stalling.

So I read a tip about using a Dremel to widen the gap between the frog area. I've some points that are already ballasted in place, so I tested it on these. Did it cure the fault ? Yes but I'm not happy with this method ass you now get a small wobble at rolling stock goes over the frog area..

I don't want to buy new electrofrog points as the points on my layout are brand new, so I've lifted a set which I've not ballasted & have converted them into semi electrofrog by cutting out the joining wire between frog & switch blades, then added some joining wires between switch blades & outer rails.

I've tested the points with a multi-meter which seems fine, need to drop off the baseboards all my seep point motors as I need to add some new wiring which will control the frog polarity.

I have six points where I've had to use Peco PL11 point motors, these as you are aware have no polarity switching, but I did see a tip whilst browsing about using micro switches against the point motor, this in turn will switch the frog polarity, I'll let you know how this turns out as I've just placed an order for a pack of ten switches.

What a load of messing about all because one new loco can't cross the points correctly. Still I suppose its better to find this now before the full track work had been ballasted.

When the time comes to extend the layout I've already made a note for myself, buy electrofrog points & don't be so lazy in the wiring......LOL

So tomorrow my plan is simple, take up all the unballasted points & do the same conversion. I can then complete the last of the ballast work & get the remaining track weathering completed.

Catch you all later,
Mike.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Now IF you ran diesels Mike ...........
I understand your problem well. My first layout had Peco insulfrog pointwork and my
diesels 25,31,33,37,47,50 all ran fine and that's what it was built for. Then I tried
steam locos ...... with dare I say it Hornby the worst for shorting. I tried clear varnish
to cover 1/2 the rail, it improved things, but I've now gone 100% switched frog live
points for everything since.
Still run diesels faultlessly on the old layout !!

Out of interest the gap on Peco streamline is about 1.0 mm, Hornby Set-Track 2.0 mm

Geoff T

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:55 am

Hi Geoff,

I wish I could focus in one erase as it would make life so easy, my problem is I like them all hence come to Wordsworth expect anything....LOL

Regards the frog area it is so much smaller that's why I thought this layout I'd give them a whirl, they look better.

I know I waffled on in the original post but that still wasn't the full tale. A tip on the Internet said to confirm if it is a true short you have at some insulation tape over the frog. This tip actually worked & the B17 ran across them like a dream, so thinking issue resolved I taped over every single Peco frog. Tested the full layout & I had the B17 crawl all over the layout without one single problem.

But you can guess that was not the end to this saga, I ran my Bachmann class 08, normally gives no problem at all, except now, every Peco point that I had modified the locomotive stalled & just wouldn't cross them. On closer inspection I could see the problem, the tape was thick enough to lift the locomotive off the track sufficient enough to lose contact & power.

That's why the decision was made to carry out isolating the frogs from the main track work. I'm going to do a small video showing how to carry out this modification just in case others want to do the same trick.

This new layout is fighting me at every turn, but I know it's all going to be worth it in the end.

Cheers Mike

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:52 am

Mike,

If it was too easy what would you do with all the 'spare time' ?
Treating all points like live frog by using insulated rail joiners
at every frog is a nice fail safe standard.
Mind you Wordsworth II looks great even if nothing's moving !!

Geoff T.

JEFFM1947

Postby JEFFM1947 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Point problem. Check the back to back measurement should be about 14.55 mm. I had a problem with a lot of stock jumping at the frog points on peco
streamline .
I had to widen the space between the wheels this cured the problem. Could work for you.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 am

JEFFM1947 wrote:Point problem. Check the back to back measurement should be about 14.55 mm. I had a problem with a lot of stock jumping at the frog points on peco
streamline .
I had to widen the space between the wheels this cured the problem. Could work for you.

Hi Jeff, I used a back to back gauge I bought from Peters spares, nifty bit of kit & simple to use, all were fine.

Anyway thankfully I can say all my issues with the points have been resolved, it's taken a while but running loco's have become fun again & not a dread like it was.

Anyone starting a layout I would recommend the use of electrofrog points, a little more time to install, but fingers crossed saves more times in the long run.

So where am I with the layout, those following me on Youtube will have seen a few minor changes, but that's because all the work I'm doing has been under the base boards. All except three points are fully wired & functional, these last three don't need doing yet until the first extension board is installed.

Also coupled up are two out of the three dapol semaphore signals, I've got them connected to a simple push to make switch, this operates the arm & an LED shows the correct colour light, really good fun when have a running session.

My plan for today once in the loft will be connect the last semaphore to the control switch, I can then put the mimic panel fronts back in place which will tidy things up a little.

Hopefully next I'll get my first coloured signals installed at the station exits, it's that long I can't remember the make of signals I bought, but they look stunning, and control of these lights will be through a control board fitted under the layout, a detector catches trains via a sensor fitted between the track running the signals through their colour range. This should add more fun to the layout once more detail gets added.

I'll leave you with a few photo's to browse through.

This is why not much change at the top, wiring under the boards taking up my time.

You just have to love this A4, screams I'm a lady, not a tramp.....LOL

This is a view missing from the old layout, these extension tracks will give a much better running space.

Old Droopy Dee face, the classic Deltic waits at the signal, this one is Black Watch.

The main Junction view east side of the station, a slight sweep rather than a 100% straight line, I love it.

Well I hope you enjoy & I'll catch you all later.
Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”