Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Postby mikem64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi Geoff

I keep looking at the task, then it dawns on me how many images I've posted over the years then makes me think how long will it take.

I've deleted my pb account as they were only copies from originals I store on my WDcloud drive, I then have a backup copy stored on my WD book drive, finally to complete my paranoia I have that backed up onto my BT cloud account.

I think best course rather than trying a one hit mass reload would be plan to do x amount at a time. As you say the link info is intact so jot down the photo id's, find the originals then resize before uploading to my Flickr account.

I've been playing around creating my own web gallery on my own web site, plus I've been looking a posting the photos within my web site server, then copy the links from my site into the forum.

Promise I will make a start once I figure out whats best & easiest.

Cheers Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi Mike,

Not an easy job, I've done my HS II layout build as it's still under construction and wasn't too photo heavy.
Currently I'm plodding through my Workbench, 42 pages long. The most recent couple have pictures in and
I've just finished page 6 ...... 38 pages to go !!
I'm in the mind of "I WILL DO IT" just as a two fingered gesture to PB.

Not that we're cussed awkward ........

Anyway, I'll be pleased to see yours creep back a page at a time, helps me to realise I'm not the only one.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Gent's

Nothing new I'm afraid I'm just testing out another image hosting server, this one is imgbb.com. I like Flickr but having to strip out some of the bbcoding so it doesn't show the image number & author is a pain & I want to make it quick & simple so I can hopefully upload all my photo's back into both threads.

I know it's going to be slow but if I just keep doing a little at a time within a year I should have it completed.....LOL

So here goes.

New Wordsworth Station with some test figures on the platform.

Geoff I believe you use imgbb.com, from your experience how have you got on with this site, hope it's a got thumbs up as my first test photo seems to have loaded OK, no wording from the server site brought through with the image & uploading to the server nice & simple, so too is grabbing the posting bbcoding for the forum thread.

Cheers.
Mike.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Gents,

Well I've just uploaded all the images for page 56 within this thread, if anyone is interested in doing something similar with their own, here is how I did mine.

1. Open up Notepad on PC, pull window to far right of screen.
2. Open browser & go to the forum page being worked on.
3. Move cursor over the image (I started at the top of the page working down) Click copy URL
4. Paste URL into Notepad
5. Once all URL's saved, strip out all wording leaving only the photo ID number, save file again.
6. Repeat above process from step 3 to 4 with every image on the thread page
7. Save Notepad file (Just as backup)
8. Locate original images on your PC (If like me you have them in yearly folders in makes next step easier)
9. Create a new folder on desktop of PC
10. From Notepad copy the first photo ID into search window (Top right of window showing your original images)
11. This will bring up the photo
12. Copy the photo into the folder created on your desktop at stage 9
13. Do this for every photo using steps 10 to 12
14. Once all the photos are copied I used InfanView to do a batch size conversion to 700 x 394
15. Upload all resized images to your new photo server.
16. Go to the page within the thread on the forum, find your first image & click edit for that section
17. Highlight the old photo link, note the photo ID number
18. Find photo ID number on your new server & click BBcode & copy link
19. Past this new link over the old PB link.
20. Do this all the way through the page steps 17 to 19 for every photo
21. Click submit & your photo's will now show.

Only 55 pages to go in this thread, then onto my Kit thread....... :shock:

Hope this helps as it made the process for me pretty quick & straight forward.

Cheers Mike.

Doghouse

Postby Doghouse » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 pm

My alternative method and no reflection on Mike's choice to use imgbb.com

I found the upload to and subsequent transfer from Flickr extremely simple, and once the resulting BBCode
was reduced in size to https:// . . . . . . . . . . . .jpg it was a relatively easy task to replace the old PB code
with the new Flickr one. Nothing extra gets added to the post such as personal information
or additional unwanted wording.

Three simple stages.

Once logged in to Flickr only three sections are required.

1. Cloud icon at the top of the screen to upload your photos
2. Camera Roll as a storage facility for the photos
3. Photostream to choose the image file size and copy the necessary BBCode

Once the Codes are copied to a text document of your choice along with some personal reference
information for each, (I used the original camera file ID and Forum page number) it then becomes
a time consuming but reasonably simple matter of editing all of your relevant forum posts.

All my photos on the Wordworth Card Kits thread have now been updated.

Brian.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:46 pm

It's great to see you guys working out how to streamline the process. It does show the benefit of retaining the cameras allocated numerical file name. In the bad old days of DOS it would have been simple at this stage to write a .BAT file with the addition of the odd BAT file enhancer, to write a script to do it for you. Unfortunately the scripting languages available now are so much more powerful that it takes longer to master the latest version than it does to do the job yourself. Such is progress.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 am

Hi Gents,

It's been a while again since any news from myself, not much has happened but that's not to say nothing has happened as some work hass been done here & there, just not as much as I certainly would like. My old wordsworth layout was pretty much completed in the same time scale, still just shows how life can force you down different roads.

So what do I have to report, well I do have some great new rolling stock which my lovely wife bought for my birthday months ago, I also got some more rolling stock from my son, daughter & son-in-law. I'm not going to tell you what these are but they look stunning & I will so you later once I get them from there boxes.

First I had to complete the ballast work, the final section of track on the east side curves from Wordsworth station, this I'm happy to say is done & yesterday I spent an hour with the airbrush weathering the track & ballast work down, just needs a few more tweaks here & there & it's done, finally movement can go ahead with scatter to green the whole place up.

I've also purchase a second hand Bachmann A2 North British, picked it up for a snip at £56 from eBay, didn't come in it's original box but for the price a nice little steam loco which will enhance my fleet. Did come with tow surprises, first the hand rail on the front left smoke deflector was missing which was not mentioned in the description & the photo didn't show that side of the model, but when I stripped the model down to fit a decoder I found an 8 pin decoder was already installed, so a compensating bonus shall we say.

I bought the loco as I've been wanting to have a second attempt at a loco rename / number & this one has it all over, so with some Model Master etched brass plates & new numbers it's become Scottish Union & will operate with my other Bachmann A2 Bonnie Dundee.

The conversion went nice and easy, first stripped off the smoke deflectors, bought some 0.45mm brass hand rail wire & new knobs so I could fix that left hand smoke deflector, fiddly but well worth the effort, a quick spray using the airbrush made it look like new.

Removed the old name plate & old loco numbers using some stuff I've had in my kit box for years & with the aid of a **** tail stick gently removed the items.

The brass name plates I glued onto the smoke deflectors using Uhu & the numbers are water slide transfers, not down this type of thing for years but the finished results are impressive.

Here are a few photo's.

Here's my starting point, donor loco & new plates.

First to go were those cab side numbers.

Next up were the smoke deflector names

Next job to tackle that missing hand rail

Hand rail constructed & a nice coat of black acrylic paint applied.

Next we fix the brass name plates.

Then go on the cab side water slide numbers.

I've run out of pictures at this stage but I'll show you my finished work with the loco sat on my layout.

I do have a few other things to report but I feel I've waffled on for far too long as it is, maybe this evening I'll have another bash at finishing the update.

Until that point happy building
Mike

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 am

A nice little project, looking forward to seeing the end result.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Mike,

Looking very nice. Always worth the wait for your postings.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Nice work Mike. Great to see you online again. I appologise for our paranoid profanity checker that serves no purpose but to emphasise embedded four letter words. One day I'll find its exceptions list. :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

Hi Gents,

My second attempt at posting this morning, my first one disappeared before I'd completed it, didn't go into draft, didn't post, just gone. So I'll try again.

I'm still surprised how popular Wordsworth is even though my posts & updates are so far and few nowadays, one day I hope to get the balance been modelling and work balanced as more modelling & less work means less stress.

So lets get back to my Bachmann A1 project ( :wink: ) so you can see my final results. But before we get there can I stress when instructions tell you to do something it's for a reason. Model Masters said once you glue the Brass name plates in place, leave the model flat for 24hrs to avoid any slippage. This is what could happen if you don't follow advice.

Once glued I put my model back onto the tracks, I even run the model, but going back into the loft much later they've dropped slightly

Still she does look good sat at Platform 2 waiting for her duty shift to start, plus once I have a go at weathering her those plates might not look as bad.

This is the area of the layout I've just finished the ballast work, east side of the station

A pair of class 40's parked up in Wordsworth sidings along with some 16ton mineral wagons & behind them some MGR wagons.

I've got a few more bits to show but that's in my next post.

Cheers Mike.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Looks smart

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Mike,

I thought You'd been around long enough to believe in the popular saying
"If all else fails read the instructions"
Shame, but doesn't show up too much in the photos.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”