Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am

Nice to hear from you again Mike. Wordsworth is looking great, somehow you are managing to get more features in without it looking cramped, Obviously it was "bubbling under" all the while until you decided you had to start again. Great stuff
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi John,

That's exactly what I was hoping for, I loved my old layout but with this new version I've aimed at using less track work to give a more open feel. Once I can extend down off both sides of the base boards I think it really will give the layout the space it requires, trains will look like they are going somewhere rather than just round & round (Which is fun also, I still love watching one train even now chugging by)

So where am I at present, nice to say some more scenic work completed, also had some new fleet additions with a recent purchase of the Bachmann 2004 limited edition A2 Sir Walter Scott & class 40, both excellent runners, the new diesel depot will look great with the growing diesel fleet.

I love how quickly the layout changes its image just by adding some green stuff, all those idea's I've had bouncing round my head are starting to take shape nicely on the layout, those trains are going to look super as they pass by...LOL

Had a seep point motor fail Sunday, been great up until I ballasted that section, aint that always the case, took approx 1hr to finally find out what the problem was, the motor part was fine it was the frog switching part that had failed, so all the loco's kept stalling at the frog, because it had just been ballasted you automatically believe thats what the problem is......No after testing the motor off the layout & on the lay, traced the fault to an intermittent switch, that little disc that moves between the connection strips. New seep fitted & all fine again.

So they say pictures say more than words, lets have a look at the photo's.

Sir Walter Scott joins the Wordsworth fleet.

Also joing the fleet a second class 40, already had fun double heading with my other unit.

Crazy Joe found his way back onto the layout, taken up residence end of platform 2, Rail company not happy....LOL

Grassed area then continues round passed the working signals in the background.

A new paddock goes in for the farmers fields, some live stock & wheat field if it all goes well.

I've got the farmers tractor crosssing installed & all weathered down.

Then I thought about the farmers animals, they need drinking water so a small pond is being created.

I've added some trees to see how many I need before addding the grass & realistic water, also toned the stone wall down using the airbrush.

After all that work I thought a take away from the hotdog man would be good....LOL

So my task over the next few days will be seal the pond area with acrylic varnish, I can then addd the realsitic water just like I did round at the church pond.

Hope I've given you all some fun in this update & I'll catch you all again soon.
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Crazy Joe's ....... shouldn't it be Crazy Mike's ?
Always enjoy seeing what you've been up to, even if we have
to wait a month ...

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

manna

Postby manna » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:11 am

G'Day Gents

New ? layouts looking good, plenty on new features, Double headed class 40's, now there's something I've never seen, double 31's, 47's and even triple Deltic's, but never double headed 45/46's or 40's, now that would have been a sight to see.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Gents,

Well here we are again with yet another layout update, nothing massive I'm afraid but at least movement in the right direction. So this time work continues around the new animal paddock & corn field idea.

In the animal paddock I've used Woodland scenics realistic water for the watering hole, then the usual Woodland scenics scatter & clump foilage / underbrush. Then for the wall climbing shrubbery I've used Heki products as they look so realistic in my opinion to anything esle on the market.

For the hay field I'm testing out the old favourite of mine, teddy fur. Not sure if it will remain as I've got to tie this in with some WWS 2mm static hay which I've ordered along with some Preiser field workers (These have now arrived from my ebay order). If it all goes as I've envisaged I should end up with a very nice camemo piece.

I then can't come any further forward on the baseboards with the scenery until I complete the back baseboard section around the station / Rockware glasss buildings.

So it's photo time again.

Lets start with a Bachmann 08 passsing the area being worked upon.

Here's my hay field attempt with the farmers worst enemy, a 100 year old Oak tree slap back in his field.....LOL

Looking over the wall into the animal paddock with watering hole.

I've had an attempt at tractor tracks between the gates.

Found my farm buildings which my daughter & son-in-law purchased for my old layout, they just had to go back into the theme.

Here the herd starts to make it's way back after milking....Watch those trains girls.

Finally it's drinking time for the herd.

Well there we have it, hope you all enjoy these latest pictures, I know I do & when I need that pick me up during the day it's nice to have a quick peep.

Cheers Mike.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Mike the new Wordsworth has got a more open feel to it, I like it!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:55 am

Hi Gents,

Well after the last update I've not been back into the loft, I have been busy working on a new building for the layout instead. Whilst I was doing the scenic work around the farmers paddock & corn field I suddenly realised my Grand Station which was designed for my old layout didn't quick catch the feel I want for this new version of Worthworth.

Yes the station looks grand & impressive but when sat next to the extra long platforms on my new layout it some how feels very small, so I thought I need something bigger, as big as the Rockware / Factory building. So that was it I just needed to break away from the scenic work to test my theory.

It's taken a while but I've finally got the new look which I feel is better, now to turn the 2d plan into a full 3d building, so the test build has started & below is the main entrance, not fully finished but give the look I'm after. The only funny side to this building is I'll never see this view as this sits against by backscene, it's the platform side I'll get to view.... :? So why design something I'll never see ? I know it's there, but also I need this ection so I can upload to the kit site. Another modeller might have the station the opposite way round like I did at North Fangore where the platforms were behind the main fascia & the platforms were against the backscene.

Anyway here is a quick peek at the new Wordsworth Station Fascia.

The main entrance to the platform is via the lobby area.

Ive tried to give the lobby a nice look by not only having a tiled floor but a good looking ceiling.

This is the new station fascia access via some steps.

Main station fascia from a slight angle.

Well that's the end for this update, hopefully my next upload willl show the platform view along with the two side extensions.

Until then, keep on building
Mike.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”