Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Mike, nice to see progress at "New Wordswoth", and some old favourite kits making an appearance.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Happy New Year,

Well 2018 has closed & I thought this morning I do a year end picture post. It's been very slow going but progress is progress, plus it is only a hobby & not my day to day routine. I've a few more years before I retire & can make modelling my daily life....LOL

If I'm asked are you happy how this new layout looks I'd have to say yes 100%, if I was asked would I do anything different should I have to start again I would say only one thing, electro frog points with full polarity switching. Until I used them I thought they were far too complicated & made no difference to a layout, well I'm wrong since my swap over I've seen far better running & no loco stalling over the frogs, even my 0-6-0 models.

So where did we end up with the layout, 2018 saw most of the work taking place around the TMD & North Fangore high street, the look & feel is pulling the layout together. I have some base areas to glue down & I can then finish off the scenic grass & hedge rows. Once I complete this last little section I want to finish the TMD build by completing my 3x lane engine shed & finish the designing of the matching 2x lane engine shed.

Where do I go in 2019, my plan is to start building my Low relief bonded warehouse, finish the cattle dock area & I can then finish Wordsworth Station with the last few platform sections, for some reason I've really been putting off working in this section.

Once this section is done it gets really exciting as I can start work on the extension boards, this is the bit I want up & running so badly, to get those two main lines running all the way down the loft completing a nice long stretch where the big boy locos can excerise some speed. This also means I can then start running more than one loco per session which I've missed since old Wordsworth was torn up.

So time to see the photo's

So lets start at Saint Cuthberts church, the base section not glued down yet as still working on the scenics.

Now at the Railway Hotel, same again with the basse section, not glued down as I take this to my work bench to work on.

Still not finished my road work scene, but have made a Wordsworth skip & road signs for the area.

This is a little access road into the Church & Railway Hotel, it's a long way from finished but I have a crazy idea which will transform this view.

Main view looking down the high street of North Fangore, looks better now the scenic wall to the right put in.

No.1 TMD entrance, a second entrance has been made further down to the right.

Well that closes 2018, I'd like to wish everyone a very happy new year & lets hope 2019 willl see those base board extension finally going in.

Cheer Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Good morning everyone,

Well it's been a while since any posts regards my layout Wordsworth. Things have been very quite over the spring & summer but the last month or so has seen some movement on the build. I've managed to squeeze a hour here & there which it'snt a lot I know but it's moevement in the right direction.

The only thing I will say is I keep avoiding that area that is crying out to be finished & that's the area at the back of the baseboards on the south & east side. it's a pain to reach &means working layi across the front part of the boards. I'm reaching a point where I can't put this off for much longer.

We all love to model & do the scenery in those easy areas, you know what I mean, right at the front where you get yourself cosy on a chair & work at peace.

So like I said I've now reached that time wgere I can't finish the front of these boards until I finish those back area which I started years ago.

Lets have som photo's showing where I am right now, we all love photo's as it says more than works ever can.

Lets look at the east side baseboard

Now looking at the north side baseboard which includes North Fangore TMD

Now we look down the west side of the baseboards back towards Wordsworth Station

Finally we are on the south baseboard which Wordsworth station / Goods yard sits. & the area I've been avoiding for far too long.

Now lets have a closer in look at some of the areas I have been working on & carrying out some small detailing. I've been in my boxes with all my goodies & started to get them out, slowly the layout is coming more alive.

Those road works at North Fangore now have a little more action. I like how it's coming together.

Finally got my hedgerow glued down between the Railway Hotel & St Cuthberts Church, added some grown works around the church.

A change to the layout is where the farm house went, moved from the back of the south base board to the front at the opposite end, made a better place I think as the small farm area is together rather than split over the layout as I had it planned.

The entrance to Wordsworth Good shed coming along nicely, but it must stop at this stage until I finish the work behind it against the base board wall.

The country garage is now in place, it did move around at diffent angles, but finally settled on this look. Sometimes it does pay to be slow in your modelling. you can live with a look before your final choice.

A few more buses came out of storage & now the depot is starting to fill the bill nicely.

For that bit of fun, well it looks like the Doctor has brought something from our distant past into the present......LOL I think a bit of fun on a layout brings a smile on damp days like today.

Well I hope I've not bored everyone, and somewhere within these few pictures I've managed to bring a cheering smile.

Until next time keep building those card kits.

Mike.
End2end

Post by End2end »

All coming together very nicely Mike. :)
The triceritops made me giggle. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Ah Wordsworth country, where the Sun always seems to be shining, always cheers me up.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Ahh always a pleasure to see what's been happening on Wordsworth.
BUT Mike , Action at the road works ? rather extravagant, or at least
it would be based on our local road repair activity !!

Awkward corners and things we 'Put Off' something we can all empathize
with. I daren't check on how many part finished projects sit around my
loft .......

Geoff T.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Lovely layout Mike. The buses look like Samuel (Sammy) Ledgard. Are they?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

The buses are Sammy, I just love these models as the detailing is super.

Will have to get some close up shots so everyone can enjoy them.

Cheers Mike
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi Mike
When I lived in Leeds I travelled on Sammy Ledgard buses to and from Bramhope and Otley. When they were outside the Leeds area, they were the only bus company I knew that would pick you up or let you get off anywhere on route. You did not have to be at a bus stop. Great times.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Well I'm glad to say some progress on the layout & this time in the area I wanted to work on. I yanked out the platform sections so I could work right at the back of the layout on the right hand side of Wordsworth Station. I was never quite happy with the first attempt at the bus station, now I feel I've got the looks just right.

No this section is completed I can finish the scenery side by adding the foilage & grass working towards the front of the layout. Lrts have a look shall we....

And on cue here come the buses.

Only 3 bus stop places this time with the Taxi rank completely moved to a new location

Like magic, once one bus arrives we end up with a second.

Thre platform wall on platform 1 finally gets built.

Here we have a general overview for the right side area of the station.

Work can start on the platform 4 wall which will divide off the goods yard from the passenger side of things.

Meanwhile round on the turntable we have the lovely A4 Golden Eagle.

Then in the sidings we have A4 Sir Charles Newton.

Class 31 waits just off the turntable just behind the signal box.

Meanwhile in the TMD we have a lovely class 37.

Whilst I've been waiting from some glue to dry on the layout I started to upgrade two standard light fittings with some double 2foot daylight fittings. Certainly makes a nice chnage to the loft. I also decided to scrap my old Argyle Road layout as I now have new plans for a new Argyle Road on the loft extension. Thi will sit slightly elevated so the main track will run into tunnel portals & under Argyle Road. I hope to include two track that skirt round the front of Argyle Road and will be covered in arched retaining walls.

I'll try & get a plan created in railTrack so you can see what I have planned.

Well lets wrap up & I hope the buses please a few.

Cheers Mike.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Good Evening Modellers,

Well I've a small update for you this evening. Saturday I did a small YouTube video in my "Lets build a card Kit" series, this was a video showing an older kit the wmrTS49 low relief Terrace row built using 300gsm card stock. Afterwards I did a little more scenic work on the layout, just need a few more hours & the west side of the layout will be fully green.

Looking at the layout now gives me the sense that I'm finally getting somewhere. Just the east corner of the layout to complete & I'll be building my extension boards.

Before that happens lets have a quick peek how the scenic work looks.

Wordsworth Station & Goods sidings with farmers fields in the foreground.

Farmers pasture with livestock with the busy railway world in the background.

Class V2 drops of a RoyalMail carriage & then takes off back through the goods yard.

Some scenic work in the back gardens of the terraced houses next to St Michaels Church.

I'll pop back later with more photo's once I get those Terraces glued onto the layout & complete the scenic work bedding them in & complete the farm house area.

Catch you all later.
Mike.