Rob's layout Mk3...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RAF

Re: Rob's layout Mk3...

Postby RAF » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Geo6606 wrote:A 47 you say? I think your finger slipped lol

Indeed, it was quite late. :oops:

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 pm

I think its safe to say everyone has done it at some point :D

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi RAF

You seem to be making good progress - so stop apologising for everything! :D I know what you mean about wanting to get it all done. If you're anything like me you will make some progress and then grind to a halt for a while. I've had the same problem with the heat in the loft. My advice is just to take your time, progress at your own pace, and make the most of the time you manage to get in the loft.
Did you sort the DCC questions you had? Sorry but I didn't spot your thread earlier. If you still have any questions, I will try and help, although I'm no expert.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

RAF

Postby RAF » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Rammy wrote:Hi RAF

You seem to be making good progress - so stop apologising for everything! :D I know what you mean about wanting to get it all done. If you're anything like me you will make some progress and then grind to a halt for a while. I've had the same problem with the heat in the loft. My advice is just to take your time, progress at your own pace, and make the most of the time you manage to get in the loft.
Did you sort the DCC questions you had? Sorry but I didn't spot your thread earlier. If you still have any questions, I will try and help, although I'm no expert.

Dave

Thanks for your supportive response. I seem to apologise because my efforts with regards to modelling are kinda rookie-like. I haven't got the skill or the patience to do this, or research things accurately, so to actually take time and make something relatively scenic is a big big ask for me. Hence why I tend to find the easiest solutions and not over complicate things like I have tried in the past and failed. If I was a millionaire and could pay someone massive bucks to have someone come in and do the whole job for me I would, but I'm not and I'm also saving up for our holiday this year so I'm trying to be creative in making something kinda respectable for basically ZERO money. Since I re-started this project I think I must have spent about £10 on aerosol cans and that's about it.

When you compare the pics in this thread, to the video in my sig, which was I think my second attempt with basically a grey board with loops on it, I hope it's an improvement. :)

RAF

Postby RAF » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:20 pm

Some more progress. As you saw in a previous pic I decided to add a bridge by cutting the baseboard and then adding a lower layer. I have no idea what possesed me to make the lower baseboard so deep, meaning that you would have two almost vertical drops facing each other. As you can see from the pic it looked shite... So I scrapped that idea by building up some polystyrene to a more sensible level, making some gradual slopes either side and then covering them with PVA mix and paper. You may see in the pic below the raised area and the girder bridge face I've scratch built for the bridge. You might also be able to make out the lower area that will duly be covered up with a suitably shaped peice of card. Apologies for the awful quality of the pic, as stated before, the camera has broke and this has been taken on a mobile...

RAF

Postby RAF » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Also I'm hoping to widen the board at two points in order to make space for a grander station and make the shunting yard longer for when I convert to DCC and also when I join the two loops together I wan't to be able to fit the coaches into the yard...

RAF

Postby RAF » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Finally got hold of a cheap digital camera, you have to be aware that this cheap camera will make the colours a lot than they actually are but it's the first decent pic of my bridge...

I've done the scenery below it but only done one side of the bridge so far... Like I say the blue looks a lot lighter than it actually is because of the flash on the camera. The Loco is an old Thomas Loco from a cheap set where Thomas is strangely a modified 0-4-0. The face has been removed, been painted black and weathered quite badly by me. I intend to improve this. But it is one of the better running 0-4-0's that I have since because of the big body Hornby made for this model and it's quite high, there was lots of room to add loads of metal to make it super heavy for it's size, so it's quite suprising what it can pull.

You can also see in this pic the wagons that I based the modification of the little Annie and Clarabel type carriages on. It's clearly not accurate but on a long train it's not as obvious to me.

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Couple more pics so far...

LMS Y9 Pug and the Ex-Thomas re-painted black tank engine pulling freight whilst County of Carnarvon (it annoys me that it's spelt wrong) leaves the main station. LMS Y9 pug tried pulling this freight train but could not manage alone, although Ex-Thomas could becuase of the masses of weight I've added inside the boxy body.

Right in the background of the upper pic you can just make out the ruined castle I made out of polystyrene pieces and Plasticote Stone effect spray paint (which is on offer now at Homebase at the moment as they are changing range!)

Bear in mind that the SeaMoss headging is temprary to hide the gap where the hanging basket liner ends... I've decided, when I find a suitable grade aggregate to replace this with stone walling using a method using Green Scouring pads used by another member on here which looked much more effective.

Also, the white bit on the second bit is because scenery is messy business, so I didn't want to show the mess I'd made online. :D

Comments welcome...

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:06 pm

You're certainly making fast progress.
I hope you can keep it up!
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:25 pm

like I said before I tend do F-all for a couple of weeks and then BANG, I do a big chunk in one day...

Although I do tend to run trains every night and have fun doing shunting...

RAF

Postby RAF » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:22 pm

County of Carnarvon leaving the main station.... or what is the main station, I intend to insert another board with a bigger station...

RAF

Postby RAF » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:08 am

Some new pics, not much progress, but some nice pics...

Class 37 pulling pullmans out of the station...

Class 37 stationary with freight whilst County of Carnarfon speeds past...

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:33 am

Thats a nice second shot there with the pullmans blurred behind

RAF

Postby RAF » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:27 am

First video of the new layout, ignore some of the scenic items that may be out of place, like the branch line waiting station and an out of place signal and some bits on the board ect... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtx9WAbzg8

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:42 am

The layouts coming on, and I too love to mix old loco's with new. You just need to be careful what you buy, I've had some great loco's over 20 years old work great once I've fitted a decoder into them and given a clean/oil & then there are those that will become static models on the layout or used as scrap loco's next to the engine shed which fitters will come along and rob for spare parts (they just refuse to work on DCC but on DC they run sweet as a nut).

Just keep rolling as I can't see anything wrong with the layout.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”