Rob's layout Mk3...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RAF

Re: Rob's layout Mk3...

Postby RAF » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Bit of work done...

Moved the sidings as close to the corner as possible so I can make the sidings long without having to take them round a bend. Then I've added another track that's basically an L-shape that goes along just two sides of the board. This run is for a small class 06 or 0-4-0ST to go back and forth with maybe just one truck going from say, a mine or something to a small goods shed. Not finalised the details yet but the track has been fitted and wired up with an automatic shuttle so it just runs back and forth in the background with a timer that can be set I think up to two minutes before it goes again.

Sorry for the poor quality pic in paint, but the bits in light blue are newly laid.

No new photo's yet I'm afraid.

RAF

Postby RAF » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:16 am

Added two new boards to add length to the layout... pics to follow when some more scenery is done and it looks a bit more respectable... also I haven't sorted out the sidings yet.

RAF

Re: Rob's layout Mk3...NEW PICS PAGE 3!

Postby RAF » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Ok, here's the new layout plan after adding two new boards.

The layout is now about 8ft by 8ft. The sidings are temporary at the moment just for storage until I finalise something more permanent like a passing point somewhere. Points are still the issue, will have to try and aquire some from somewhere.

Oh and yes, I know I have still yet to connect the outer loop to the inner loop. Again points needed. The other reason is that there's no point connecting the two until I have sidings big enough to actually store the mainline passanger loco that generally runs on the outer loop.

Hornby Diesel Hydraulic Class 52 Western Courier joined the ranks today, thanks to 'Trainsandco' who swapped it for another loco. Good service and quick postage so thanks to him. :)

No more scenery has been completed mainly due to laziness and time restrictions (and everytime I go up in the attic I end up spending more time just running the trains rather than actually doing any work! ;) )

Maybe some more pics later.

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 pm

Some pics...

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:06 pm

couple more:

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:08 pm

And YES! I know the grass needs trimming, but my groundsman is on vacation (or I haven't got sharp enough scissors!)

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I love that last picture. The stone wall in your loft really does give a flavour of the Cornish Riviera to the Western hauled train.

RAF

Postby RAF » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:15 am

GROTLAND wrote:I love that last picture. The stone wall in your loft really does give a flavour of the Cornish Riviera to the Western hauled train.

I agree it looks great... I took a pic into work and people were aksing "what did you do the wall with?" err. it's just my wall.

Unfortunately the whole house is built that way, so you try mounting things like pictures, mirrors, kitchen units etc in a wall that is pretty much made out of rubble! It really is a nightmare, and damp is a problem too, so when I moved in the first thing I had to do in the downstairs of the house was dry wall and plasterboard to create a barrier from the damp. It's terrible to drill into for mounting things... you either hit the rubble between the stones and you're just trying to mount things into pure dust, or you hit rock and drilling into that is a nightmare. Then again I only paid £45k for the 3 bedroom terraced property in 2003/4 so a bargain in my reckoning considering it's worth is about double what I paid for it. ;)

A 27 year old man who owns his own property who is not subrime and is in positive equity. I think that's a rarity these days. And no, I've not been daft an borrowed against the equity of the house, so I'm sitting tight at the moment.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 pm

My house was worth about £225000 two years ago. It is currently worth 47 pence I think. I, also, am sitting tight.

:)

RAF

Postby RAF » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:54 am

Zanziba wrote:My house was worth about £225000 two years ago. It is currently worth 47 pence I think. I, also, am sitting tight.

:)

What's it made out of, effin' gold?

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:09 am

LOL - No bricks n Mortar.

That grass does look very very good, saw it on another layout this week on here. I think I may have to get some of that. It looks nice and brambly if you know what I mean, ideal for embankments which can always look a little too neat and tidy on a layout.

RAF

Postby RAF » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Dismantled all the track on the new boards so I could paint the grey underneath the tracks today. Also re-did the sidings for what must be the 100th time, they are pretty much where they were on the previous plan at the top of this page. I've also filled in some of the gaps in the baseboard to hide the fact that my woodwork skills leave a lot to be desired (not helped by the fact that my house is not square so neither is my loft!)

Anyway, the paint dried pretty quick so I was running trains pretty soon. I also bought a nice big long plank of wood to cut in half to make my own platforms so I can have a more realistic length that a full rake of my coaches can fit into. Not finished these yet though, so no pics yet as they are just painted gray.

RAF

Postby RAF » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:31 pm

All loco's running well tonight, although there are points on the track that do need a bit of a clean. Track maintainence has taken a back burner whilst sorting out the plan which changes almost on a daily basis. :roll: But at the moment nothing is derailing even though no track has been pinned down yet, so that's a good sign.

The missus has been wondering why my car is full of polystyrene. :lol: I aquired another lot from work whilst setting up another water feature that was packed so well it made the box twice as big as the contents. :) I daren't bring stuff like that into the house unless it goes straight into the loft. I had so much I had to fold the seats down in the car. One thing is certain... if I ever ditch the car into a river, it'll float. :D

RAF

Postby RAF » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Been a while and some progress has been made...

Here's a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zieWvp9I29U

RAF

Postby RAF » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 pm

I know I still need more points to join all the track loops together and passing points ect... that will probably come after Xmas.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”