Rob's layout Mk3...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RAF

Rob's layout Mk3...

Postby RAF » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:19 am

Basically I came into this hobby with very little knowledge, and compared to most of you on here I am still probably somewhat lacking, but I decided to re-do my layout with some more realism...

The first layout I did was simply two loops with one passing point to run trains round and round. Then added to this was a third loop that went up a gradient and down again... this simple layout can be seen in the link in my sig.

My second layout was a folded over figure of 8 which allowed longer running, yet took too much space when I considered the scenic values of it and meant the trains ran badly up gradients.

My third layout is similar to the first but with better level baseboards, two large toops which will be joined together and a shunting yard. I hope the scenery in my third layout although nowhere near the high standards of some of the members efforts here, will be a vast improvement of what I've done in the past.

In two weeks I stripped the current layout and started again, two main loops, a shunting yard, more points needed to connect everything together but much better scenery.

More to come...

RAF

Re: Rob's layout Mk3...

Postby RAF » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:24 am

The problem I have now is that I have two long straights about 4-5ft long with no idea how to scenic scenic them... Any ideas would be helpful, I already have a village, ruined castle and large station.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 am

Got a picture of the section so we can see how wide it is etc. I`ve just had the same dilema with mine. Mine is a big L layout. One end has 2 double engine sheds with refueling etc, then i have a small station, hills then a quarry. The far end has an oil refinery then on the other leg of the L i have a main station with 5 platforms.
This left a section of about 3ft in the middle with nothing. I was going to put industrial estate but decided it would look too busy so i`ve built some hills with fields just to break it all up a bit.

Don`t make it too busy, sometimes less is more and a break can split it all up.

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 pm

A couple of ideas come to mind - perhaps making an embankment of sorts or a large copse of trees. Another is a river with a railway bridge over it. Perhaps some inspiration from te 'Westford' layout. Apparently the layout is 59feet long :shock: The gallery is pretty good and may help

The Westford layout link - Click Here!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Yep already ahead of you there, the embankment of trees was a plan for one side, I figured that out today when some nicely shaped polystyrene from some BBQ packaging that was already the right shape became waste... And I was depating cutting the baseboard on the opposite straight and modelling maybe a viaduct or bridge of some sort.

Here is the trackplan anyway... The main station is where the points for the shunting yard begin. There is a smaler station on the opposite end of the board where the red crossing points are. The track pieces marked in red are track yet to be laid. The corssing points from the outer to inner circuit due to a lack of points and the lengthened shunting yard because I need to lay another board to make that section wider. The straights on the left is where I planned the embankment of trees. The blanker straight on the right is where I considered a bridge of some sort.

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:25 pm

I also hope to DCC this layout at some point, maybe after Xmas when more funds are available. The idea being that shunting and re-arranging trains would be a lot easier. I am assuming that to DCC the above layout I would simply have to connect each rail to the controller, inculding the shunting lines for a bit of a boost. Some of the points are insulfrogs so I understand they will require the clips adding to make them electro. Other than that and chipping the loco's is there anything else I would need to do? Some sites are mentioning about needing a section of track that is insulated from the rest in order to program the loco???

RAF

Postby RAF » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:53 am

I do also apologise that this layout has not progressed at a rate I would have hoped. I have got all the track I have down in less than two weeks and got it clean and runnable. There are sections of scenery I have completed, but given the UK heatwave the temperature in my loft has reaches in excess of 110 degress. So I do think about doing some more, climb up the ladder and then promtly climb down again thinking, "Sod that!" I work all day in temps of about 100 degrees, so the last thing I want at the end of the day is to spend more time in such intense heat! Hence little has been done in the last week.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:34 am

RAF wrote:I also hope to DCC this layout at some point, maybe after Xmas when more funds are available. The idea being that shunting and re-arranging trains would be a lot easier. I am assuming that to DCC the above layout I would simply have to connect each rail to the controller, inculding the shunting lines for a bit of a boost. Some of the points are insulfrogs so I understand they will require the clips adding to make them electro. Other than that and chipping the loco's is there anything else I would need to do? Some sites are mentioning about needing a section of track that is insulated from the rest in order to program the loco???

My layout that I have just started is DCC controlled, and I know that my Bachmann will need this type of arrangement, I just hope to put what looks like an old disused section of line down with the point system missing what should have connected to the main line, then install a double pole double throw switch to swap the power feed from the main track to this programming track.

I like the photo showing the layout, just keep going at your own pace.

Layout should be a labour of love not a forced march.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Space for scenes ?? well how about a small lake with reeds and trees in places around the outside. You could have people walking with dog, fishing, sunbathing, camping, any one of a hundred outdoor sports/passtimes.
This can be slow to build up, but can be very creative, endless possibilities. Look forward to seeing what you do.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

RAF

Postby RAF » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses, I hope to get some new piccies up over the next two days... although the camera is playing up a bit and can be a bit tempremental over wether it wants to work or not. :roll:

RAF

Postby RAF » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 am

My apologies that there have been no more photos of my layout. Mondays are pretty much the only day of the week I can get anythging done. I did saw away a large chunk of the baseboard to turn it into a bridge and aquired a large quantity of polystyrene to make a cutting on the other side of the board. (these are still taking residence in my car!)

Here's a pic of County of Carnarvon with shine from my loft bullb. Bear in mind the scenics for this section of board are far from complete...

This layout has, for the first time become a labour of scenic love, but one that is taking time... Which is hugely frustrating for a person who has a) No time and b) No patience and a tendency to want to get things done there and then. I think that is my one major shortcoming with regards to modelling/model rail or anything else artistic is that I expect results in a short space of time. I paint watercolours now and again but I get so frustrated with waiting for the basic colours to dry, rather than paint the detail in watercolour also, I just get out the hair dryer and complete the work in pen and inks... Fair enough I've created my own style doing it, but it's out of my own comprimise because of my personality more than anything else. I think when I get into my 30's I might hopefully slow down a bit and take more time to do things without getting all "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!" about it.

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:26 am

Scenics look OK to me so far 8)

Know the feeling of wanting to get everything done now, reminds me of being 10 years old and completing an Airfix kit including paint and transfers in about an hour - BADLY!!! :lol:

Take your time and it'll all come together. As said it's meant to be a hobby, something to occupy your 'spare' time, not a race to the finish :wink:

Paul

RAF

Postby RAF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Another pic, apologies for the rather bizarre cliff section. Other sections have yet to be completed including this one that hasn't been finished completely.

Spent about 1/2 an hour today painting the cliff faces I'd made for underneath the bridge I have made. I used a combination of Polystyrene and expanding foam. But again they are only about 25% complete and I need to build up the structure of the bridge yet, but my father helped out by giving me some thick card to model with.

RAF

Postby RAF » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Over the last week I have cut the baseboard to make a bridge. Since then I have spend time building up the business underneath the bridge...

As you can see below my little shunter towing some trucks over said bridge... The above structure is the next job, i.e. the girders in order to make it a girder bridge. Plus some more greenery ect to make it look more realistic i.e. more SEAFOAM!

The next image is the new location of the main station, next to the villiage, which makes sense and shows Lima Class 47 pulling into the station. This loco, bought second hand on this very site, is a very good runner considering its age.

My apologies again for the poor quality of the photos as stated before my camera is on its last legs.

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:53 am

A 47 you say? I think your finger slipped lol

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”