my first layout.no name yet

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ste234

Re: my first layout.no name yet

Postby ste234 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Martyn,
It looks a good idea to move the level crossing to where the pen is, i say go for it :D
As for the station, you say you are not sure if to put it on the inside or outside, how about putting it on both? then you may also be able to fit steps in.
I like that mountain! :D
Hope this helps,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 pm

im back again. over the last couple of weeks i havent got a lot done to the layout as ive been looking after my wife.last night i set about changing a couple of bits of my track plan and come up with this plan not finnished but you get the idea.

the new inner loop uses 1st radius curves witch i know big locos wont run on so i was going to use a shunter to ferry wagons to the goods yard from the fiddle yard.

i have also started to lay my hanging baket liner on the mountain area so this shouldnt take to long to finish off.ive also bought the metcalfe bus station kit witch will be used as factorys and warehousing and ive picked up some other bits for scenery andd a fewbits of roling stock. its comming along slowly but suerley

some new lima 3 axle lubricating oil storage tankers i got 6 of these for £30.00

id like to hear other peoples views and on how this looks heres a few pics of the layout as it stands
thanks for looking

martyn

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 pm

im back again. over the last couple of weeks i havent got a lot done to the layout as ive been looking after my wife.last night i set about changing a couple of bits of my track plan and come up with this plan not finnished but you get the idea.

the new inner loop uses 1st radius curves witch i know big locos wont run on so i was going to use a shunter to ferry wagons to the goods yard from the fiddle yard.

i have also started to lay my hanging baket liner on the mountain area so this shouldnt take to long to finish off.ive also bought the metcalfe bus station kit witch will be used as factorys and warehousing and ive picked up some other bits for scenery andd a fewbits of roling stock. its comming along slowly but suerley

some new lima 3 axle lubricating oil storage tankers i got 6 of these for £30.00

id like to hear other peoples views and on how this looks heres a few pics of the layout as it stands
thanks for looking

martyn

IrishRail

Postby IrishRail » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:57 am

Great progress so far very nice layout!

MJ
It's time to take the train..

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:26 am

wow it is a great layout! You can do loads of things on there is it was dcc. Oh and for the track plan, i recommend using XrkCAD as it's free and easy to use. If your interested it's under "Railway Software"

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:44 pm

C'mon Martyn00,
It's about time you had a name for this .... I like the ladder sidings, gives room to store many different short trains. Also like 37's ...
It's not a race so work away as time allows and I'm certain the scenery side will become easier as you fix what you want in your mind. Often it's a path that you don't know where it'll lead, but one completed section will suddenly open the door to your next step, let it grow organically.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:53 am

Can I suggest:

Abbots By Kiths Holy

An interesting name in its own right but an anagram which might take some working out! Four words!

Looks great btw!

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:50 pm

geoff t.ive tried thinking about a name and im still stuck.to be honest i havent realy been able to focus on the layout as my wife is back in hospital and i seem to spend a lot of my time there visiting twice a day daily.im hoping she will be home early next week then ill have more time.i have built my first ever model its the metcalfe bus station im quite pleased with the way its turned out.ive also bought a peco lk80 train shed and some ratio security fencing plus i was given quite a few bags of scatter and ballast today some of it will come in handy.could some one point me in the direction of some modern industrial buildings i dont mind kit form or ready made.

thanks

martyn

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi Martyn00

I cheated with very few buildings on my layout so can't be of much help there, I used a few Metcalfe and found them quite acceptable and fun to make, but their range of Industrial stuff is very limited.
Sorry to hear your wife's back in hospital and although I've never had to cope in such circumstances I do remember Mother being is hospital and the disruption visiting every day caused in other household/work areas. I wish you both well.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 pm

Nice layout... the number of diesels is quickly increasing I notice.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 pm

The hanging basket liner looks great, really love the stuff... If you havent already, try sprinkling a small amount of 'fine turf' over it... Spray it with some watered down PVA first.

Its all looking great, I bet the trains look fantastic going through the cutting.

Keep it up ! :D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Martyn,

Been thinking about names ......
Your mountains are, well, only about half a mountain ... so what about Tain Hills, with the railway in Tain Cutting.
Now ranges of hill tend to have rivers running through a valley, so have a River Mar in the Marr valley.
At the base of the hills there is a small old town Innby, the 'by' giving a hint of a Viking past. It also covers being in by the wife/fire or whatever.
In the local dialect 't' tends to mean 'and'
So the layout sidings will become Martins Yard which serves the Marr valley and the town with agricultural and/or industrial products. The hills offer stone quarrying and perhaps mining. Being in a valley that runs to the coast you can have Saturday Specials going through to the seaside.
And best of all being Martins Yard you can do what you want !!!!

Geoff T.

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 pm

firstly thanks for the replys.not a lot as been happening on the layout for a while now but im hoping to get cracking with it soon.ive also been thinking of a name and all i can think of is.. ynysmartyn freight yard its not brilliant but it will do.
as i havent had a lot of time to work on my layout ive been buying a few bits and pieces and started to build a peco engine shed.i went out this morning hoping to get some moden ish wagons but come home with another class 37 and big bag of lichen and another 49 2-3 inch tree armatures.im going to be putting all my wagons on ebay in the next couple of days as im after some modern ones.hopefully i can get a bit done in the comming week and get some pics up

thanks

martyn

`

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 pm

small update if anybody is intrested.i managed to get nearly all my rails painted today plus ive finnished the peco engine shed witch i found realy enjoyable to build.but im not sure the engine shed will look ok with my older type buildings so im now on the hunt for modern warehouse/factory type buildings or ill have to rethink the multiple factorys idea and go for one industry.does any body know any manufactures of moden industrial buildings ive tried peco wills ratio metcalfe superquick but theres not alot available.and im not confident at trying out scratch building.anyhow heres a couple of pics i took today after i finnished

the tankers in the pics where put on ebay tonight but i cant find them on there any where lol

martyn
Last edited by martyn00 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:16 pm

They can take an hour to appear in searches.

Click "My Ebay" then "Selling"

They looked good on your layout!?!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”