my first layout.no name yet

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
martyn00

my first layout.no name yet

Postby martyn00 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:57 pm

well after many weeks trying to decide on a layout plan i finaly started to lay the track.ive completed the both outer loops but need to get the rest of the track for fiddle yard/diesel maintenece area and fueling point.im hoping to get the track at a show tommorow.then i can decide on where things like the tunnel and station can go

the layout is 8x4 it will be dc operated by 3 separate controllers no paticular era.i was thinking about a industral area and countryside with a small station and village and a tunnel.and some kind of mountain area.my knowledge of trains and modeling is minimal so this could take a long time i will keep the thread updated with pics as i go along. any tips/advice/ideas will all be taken onboard

layout plan

pics to come later

martyn00

Re: my first layout.no name yet

Postby martyn00 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:54 pm

heres a few pics of the layout and lack of trains

my rather noisey class 37

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 pm

May not have a name yet, but you've made a start at least :wink:

A couple of things:-

1. I'd either make the loops slightly shorter, or put some wood along that edge, otherwise sooner or later one of your trains is sure to take a nosedive off a scale 200+ foot drop!!

2. You have an HST - therefore this layout is BOUND to be good :mrgreen:

3. While you were taking the photos someone appears to have wandered into your house and is using your PC - they didn't even stop to take their coat off :lol:

Seriously, looks a good interesting trackplan and you've avoided the 'too many parallel sidings' problem, nice one 8)

Paul

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Eeep, Facebook as well! There's no going back!

It's a lovely start, everything I wanted from OO but never had the room for. I'll keep tuned on this and wish you all the best with it's development.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:02 pm

beerandpies wrote:Eeep, Facebook as well! There's no going back!

Wouldn't know what it was on the PC - never been on MyFace or any of those type of sites, and NEVER will !!! :lol:

Paul

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:46 am

Hit the 50 piece limit with Anyrail trial did ya? :lol:

As one nub to 'nuther, coupla' suggestions.

Nice work on the baseboard, but I second what Sprintex said in his suggestion #1. 3rd radius curve or not, put a barrier on the ends of your baseboard or it'll end in tears. I speak still smarting from the emotional scarring of watching my own new DMU emulate a Saturn 5's trajectory on mislaunch before crunching heavily onto the carpet.

Also, grab yourself a copy of the PECO and Hornby layout plan books. Standard British Geometry track and -self-promotional as much Skaledale et al product placement as possible notwithstanding- they feature layouts suited to the KISS principle, practical budgets and available space for implementation in the average home. Quite a few are 8x4, and with lots of suggestions/ideas/alternatives for a layout that size.

Albeit with a slightly larger with a 10'6"x 6"6" layout, I've started out KISS myself so I'll quickly realise a tangible operational reality rather than regretting a "will it ever be finished?!!!" risk of biting off more than I'm sure I can chew.

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:48 pm

firstly thanks for all the replies its nice to know people are intrested in what im doing.now thats my daughter on the pc wearing her coat as she had just got home and was straight on facebook kids huh.

i will be fitting boards to both ends and the back of the layout later in the week after ive relayed the track theres a few joins im not happy with and i need to fit my level crossing.

ive also made a slight change to the fiddle yard and maintenence area it will give me more room for my tunnel/mountain type thing lol

and yip i ran out of bits on anyrail but it will do for now.

i met my farther in cardiff city centre early this morning as we where going to the lord and butler model railway exebition at the pumping station on penarth road.there where some realy good layouts in action and this when i realised the amount of work and attention to detail thats needed to make a layout look good.after a look around without buying anything as im a tight git thinking the prices where a bit high.so we headed back to the city centre where my farther said he new for a shop in a arcade that might sell some model railway items.when we got to the shop we found a couple of class 37 locos lurking behind some books in the window.into the shop we go down the stairs where we bumped into the shop keeper.it turns out my farther new the owner very well from his trading days.to cut the story a bit short after 10 mins i walked out of the shop £70.00 lighter.now theres one thing i do know about model railways is you wont get alot for £70.00.put it this way ive decided to go back on monday to get another 4 locos

pics of what i bought today and a pic of the tweaked layout

all the items i bought where as near new as you could get

thanks

martyn

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:21 am

You might be interested to read this if you haven't already? I found it helpful. You might too :?:

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:32 pm

after reading the above link ive realised im trying to get to much onto my board scenics wise and i cant see the hst looking good stopping at the station i bought yesterday it just looks wrong.

so im going to sell the station and platforms ive bought and will be and getting the plastic hornby type station.i think i will sell my hst aswell and get a couple of 2 car sprinter style trains as the hst looks to long for the layout.

i will be running a few class 37s with different liveries pulling coal hoppers and other freight wagons and hopefully a couple of shunters.as for the layout there will be a nice long tunnel going through a mountain a small station and road crossing and a few industrial buildings and if theres any room a few houses

i could make this layout alot bigger but im not sure if we will need to move house due to my wifes illness.so this is basically a test board to see if i can get to grips with model railways

a question..are lima locos any good i bought one yesterday for £20.00 its not been run much and is in excelent condition and ive ben offered another 4 class 37s different liveies in the same condition for £100.00
and ive just been given a hornby r246 45 ton steel carrier saa it must be close to 30 years old

im hoping these ideas will work :D

martyn

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:00 pm

still no progress on the layout but i will be starting soon.today i tried a little ballsting with some old track does the ballst look to big the ballast is javis fine granite chippings ref no jfgst.can anybody suggest a decent scale ballast that i could use

martyn

B McG

Postby B McG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:42 pm

A possibility could be Skale scenics extra fine which may fit the bill for you. Just got some recently, will be giving it a try shortly....

Hope that helps,
Bryant

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:08 am

Personally I'd say it was overscale, ideally looking at the real thing you need a ballast where 4 or 5 'stones' will fit in a line between the sleepers if that makes sense?

Have a look towards the bottom of THIS PAGE of my layout thread. It's N gauge so the ballast size would be no good for you, but that's pretty much the scale compared to the track as observed on the real rail network generally. See what I mean about 5 stones' width between each sleeper now? :wink:

Hopefully someone doing OO will be able to advise on specific products to suit.

Paul

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:26 pm

my daughter just got home with a bag of woodland scenics fine light gray ballast for me and its gone from one extreme to another this stuff is like powder.i would open it and give it a go but i dont think its going to be any good and i cant keep spending money on stuff im not able to use.and im also haveing problems getting my track to line up correctly some of the joins wont close up properly.ive had a gut full of it now so the layout is on hold indefinatley.i was actually looking forward to getting the ballasting done but i cant even join the track correctly.im realy peed of with it now.so its best if i leave it for a while

martyn

martyn00

Postby martyn00 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:53 pm

ok thats my rant over with.i started from scratch again ive laid the track roughly where i want them.now before i pin it all down does anybody think its ok as it is or could it be made a bit better with some extra track.ive ditched the tunnel/mountain/village scenes as theres not enough room.the layout is going to be a industral themed layout with a mixed goods/freight yard diesel maintenence depot a disel fueling point and a few industrial buildings.ive also been thnking about a name only come up with SIX ROAD YARD im not sure if that sounds ok.ive also tried the bag of fine ballast my daughter bought and it looks perfect.before i start ballsting the track will there be any way i can get the track back up if i decide to do a bigger layout

heres some pics of where im at

i was thinking about putting a small station by the level crossing im not sure if this will look ok
please let me know what you think any ideas appreciated

thanks

martyn

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Was there anything interesting in Lord and Butler?

I live in West Wales and have got to go to Cardiff on Monday to swap out a dead PC for work. I'm planning on finishing ASAP and popping in to have a look.

Tidy layout BTW. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”