My Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BR125

Re: My Layout

Postby BR125 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Right small update chaps,still not moved so the layout is still on hold,hopefully we will move in the next month or so and then I can get on with it! :roll: :(

Bought myself this off of Ebay,there's a crack in the body but it's easily fixed and I plan on replacing it anyway in BR blue.......

and I got these from a model railway exhibition I went to in Sheffield recently,I saw them and just couldn't resist :D ......

Hopefully more updates soon.

Cheers
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

BR125

Postby BR125 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to move into the new house at the weekend and i've just been to have a look in the loft!
There's no flooring down so haven't had a good look round it,I did take some pics from the step ladders but what can I do with this space? There isn't a lot of room height,I would have to stoop if stood up and with the roof supports and chimney getting in the way it's going to make life difficult!
Floor size is roughly about 19' x 17',Suggestions welcome guy's....

Some interesting items left by the previous tenants,looks like a golf bag in the second pic!

Cheers
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

Road Stone

Postby Road Stone » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 am

Does that mean you are ripping up your layout?

Cheers, Jerry
I know Nothing!

BR125

Postby BR125 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Road Stone wrote:Does that mean you are ripping up your layout?

Cheers, Jerry

Hi Jerry,

No i'm not ripping up the layout,it wasn't attached to the board and so the track has been boxed and the baseboard taken down ready for moving. Hopefully if the loft is worth doing and with a few pointers from those that have converted lofts then I may just get a running layout soon........if not then i'll have to downsize to N gauge and maybe have a shelf layout! :|

Cheers
Daz

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:23 pm

if not then i'll have to downsize to N gauge and maybe have a shelf layout!

You make that sound bad :lol:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

tinman

Postby tinman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi Daz,

Good luck with the house move
As far as ggestions go, do you have a garage you could convert ? I can highly recommend it :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

BR125

Postby BR125 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the late reply,what with the house move,illness and christmas ect. I haven't had the time to do much of anything :roll: and unfortunately there is no garage to convert :( ,anyway a belated happy new year to one and all. :D
Right there are no new updates to the layout,there will be some work done soon but not to the loft as i'm awaiting permission to floorboard and I have an inspector coming around Wednesday to check out the loft due to constant leaks we keep having. The current layout will be built on small boards which will be joined together and put on the kitchen table for use,these boards will then be moved to the loft as and when I have permission and the floor laid.

Cheers
Daz

BR125

Postby BR125 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:21 pm

This is going to be our new layout,it's 6' x 4' and it's now going to be DCC,can anyone tell me the best way to wire this up for DCC please? I'll be using the Hornby select controller if that's any help! :?

Thanks
Daz :D

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:50 pm

You will need to add dropppers to track sections and attach them to a power bus (thick wires connected to controller). This will ensure that the track are always live.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

jamest

Postby jamest » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi,

I'm no expert - as a newbie I'm at the lower end of the modelling evolutionary tree!

I have a similar size layout and controller and I have used the clips that go into the points to prevent them isolating when you throw the point. I have heard some say that they have a dropper for every track section, and I can see why, but my soldering skills are not great and I prefer to keep my feeds hidden away at the back of the layout. I have two feeds to my oval and one to my upper level - and I have not encountered any problems. The main thing, in my experience with DCC, is too keep the track clean.

I would certainly solder the wires though - no one has 'made' a power connection better. And if you choose carefully where to solder you can hide it, if your soldering skills are as good as mine!

Good luck.
James

BR125

Postby BR125 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the info fellas,James it's nice to hear from someone with a similar sized layout and that I won't need to do as much soldering as I first feared :wink: ,good job too as although I can solder....it's been a while and my hands are not as steady as they used to be!

Thanks
Daz

BR125

Postby BR125 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Here's my Bachmann class 37 (37239) Coal Merchants Association of Scotland,i'm just running it in for a few hours! :shock: I was a bit surprised when I read I had to do it, but it was nice watching it all the same :wink: I have my wife to thank for this lovely bit of kit! :D

I've just bought all the track and ballast/underlay needed for the layout,so hopefully I can look forward to starting the layout next week.

Thanks
Daz

BR125

Postby BR125 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Hello All,here are a few pics of the start of the new layout!!!

Next job is ballast/underlay and then start of the scenery,hopefully more updates soon. :D

Cheers
Daz

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi BR125

Looking forward to seeing the new pictures,nice 37! :wink: :!:

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:47 pm

BR125 wrote:This is going to be our new layout,it's 6' x 4' and it's now going to be DCC,can anyone tell me the best way to wire this up for DCC please? I'll be using the Hornby select controller if that's any help! :?

Thanks
Daz :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO7noIk1_js

might be of some help

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”