My Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BR125

Re: My Layout

Postby BR125 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Small Update......

I have managed to get some more work done,I've scratch built a bridge and laid some more track! :)
Work to do today (hopefully),use track risers to raise the track,fit bridge and then ballast track.
Photo's to come later! :wink:

Track work still to do.... Lay another loop of track and the sidings.

Cheers
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:15 pm

hay just been catching up with this thread, you've made a good start so far, i'm looking forward to seeing how you attack the multi level layout, i think that it has a lot of potential i was tempted to try that on my layout when i was planning it but i chickened out :oops:
so i'll keep checking back to see how your progressing

keep up the good work

cheers

Darren

BR125

Postby BR125 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Cheers Darren,I had expected to have more done but i've been ill,here's where i've got too....

Scratch built bridge,not the best job but it will do for now.....

Here's a couple of pics of the raised sections and the second set of track.....

Close ups of raised track.....

The second loop will be slightly shorter than it currently is and will allow for better hill landscaping. Next job will be ballasting the raised track,then making the sides and hills and
hopefully within the next couple of weeks I should have the 3rd loop laid,sidings laid and ballasted.....depending on health! :roll: :wink:

Cheers
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:26 pm

well done on the raised track, it looks quite good and the bridge is ok. Just thinking, what is the baseboard made out of?
I've used the peco foam underlay and it does look quite good and it does dampen out vibrations.
Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

BR125

Postby BR125 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Cheers Hobby boy,the baseboard is chipboard and as for the foam underlay,I won't be using it as i've decided to use the woodland scenics ballast instead! :wink: I've laid some track out to see how the sidings will look and I think it's got potential.......

Here's a plan of how the sidings should look.....

Cheers
Daz

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:02 pm

i'm sure my layout is chipboard but your board looks different.
Are you sure about those sidings???????? (circled)
Attachments
BR125Layout005.jpg
BR125Layout005.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:22 pm

the track looks good starting to come along nicely, looks like you've got lots of sidings so plenty off room for loco's and rolling stock :D

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 am

hobby boy wrote:i'm sure my layout is chipboard but your board looks different.

The board on this layout looks to be OSB (oriented strand board), which does often get referred to as chipboard or woodchip board (there might be some international differences in the commonly used terms?)

Yes, it's different to the fine particle chipboard which I'm guessing is used on your layout (which is what I would usually think of if someone said chipboard).

I haven't read anything about its pros and cons for use as a model railway baseboard, although normal chipboard is generally regarded as being somewhat less than ideal due to being very heavy for any given strength (although could be okay in a 100% static layout), and still rather prone to moisture damage.

I'd imagine that OSB is closer to plywood in its properties.
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

BR125

Postby BR125 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:34 pm

Hobby boy,yes i'm sure about the sidings,they obviously won't be as long as in the plan and will look more like the photo's of the sidings! :wink:

thanks Bizzyd6405,I think there should be enough to keep my daughter and I interested! :D

Hi Dead Man's Handle,not sure if it is this OSB you mention,the tag in B&Q said chipboard and so I took it for being that. :?

Not sure how much more of the layout will get done now,as I may be moving soon,the council are knocking down my estate and i'm in the next phase which is starting soon! I've just had my letter to say it's due to be declared soon and to book an appointment for getting re-housed........now if I can only get a house with a big loft or a cellar! :lol: :wink:

Cheers
Daz

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:37 pm

BR125 wrote:Hi Dead Man's Handle,not sure if it is this OSB you mention,the tag in B&Q said chipboard and so I took it for being that. :?

Maybe the guy who puts the tags on had a bad day :D B&Q would seem to refer to it as OSB here

Still, I think it's probably a better material than chipboard, so no harm done :)
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

BR125

Postby BR125 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Dead Man's Handle wrote:
BR125 wrote:Hi Dead Man's Handle,not sure if it is this OSB you mention,the tag in B&Q said chipboard and so I took it for being that. :?

Maybe the guy who puts the tags on had a bad day :D B&Q would seem to refer to it as OSB here

Still, I think it's probably a better material than chipboard, so no harm done :)

It seems you are correct sir! :D Maybe they were having an off day, :roll: but as you say it does seem like a better choice anyway and so i'm happy with that. :wink: :D

Cheers
Daz

BR125

Postby BR125 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:17 pm

Right folks,i've decided that when I move i'm going to add a colliery to my layout,i've decided to do Birley East Colliery,i have a reasonable idea of how it looked and the track layout from old photo's,maps ect. Apparently the Sheffield Coal Company bought 0-4-0 & 0-6-0ST's which were,Birley no.1 an 0-6-0 st from Manning Wardle 1881,Belsize originally named Leighswood was an 0-6-0 1878 (don't know manufacturer),Orient 0-6-0 ST from Hudswell Clarke of Leeds 1890,Birley no.3 was a class W4 ST Peckett & Sons of Bristol 1903 and WDG ( William Dun Gainsford) 0-6-0 ST Peckett & Sons 1927.

Right history lesson over :lol: ,what I need is models of this type of loco,unfortunately I only have a photo of orient to work with and haven't found one that matches,does anyone have pics of these other loco's or is there a standard 0-4-0,0-6-0 I could use/modify?

All help greatly appreciated
Daz

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:23 pm

How'd you find the rail between the risers? Mine dips when a loco goes between them which is a slight problem. I am thinking of putting extra supports in and glueing wooden strips under the track to give it strength.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 am

BR125 wrote:Right history lesson over :lol: ,what I need is models of this type of loco,unfortunately I only have a photo of orient to work with and haven't found one that matches,does anyone have pics of these other loco's or is there a standard 0-4-0,0-6-0 I could use/modify?

Hi Daz

Hornby do a number of 0-6-0ST like this one, does that help?

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Hello Daz,
Excellent progress with the Lay-out. Perhaps you could suggest to the Council they build you a shed, say 20' x 16' :lol: :P :lol: Are you looking forward to moving house? Your idea of a Mining/Pit area sounds really good. Looking forward to more on this Lay-out. Take Care,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”