Coegnant branch of the Blue line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
paulsrail

Re: Coegnant branch of the Blue line

Postby paulsrail » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi Geoff
I was merrily plodding along with my colliery layout when i was informed by Alan the owner of my local train shop that i will be showing the layout at a model railway show on august 1st. I,m hoping to have most of it done by then. Growing up in south wales i had first hand experiance of V bombers. Vulcans from ST Athan used to practice low level flying over or rather , up our valley (The Llynfi Valley) They flew so low you could see the pilots.
Paul
Paul

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Here are some more photos showing the base board with the buildings in position and progress on the headgears. Coegnant was unique in south wales in that the south pit headgears open truss girders were partly enclosed in concrete.

The open truss girders were constructed from plastruct girders for load bearing girders and card for the non load bearing girders. Load bearing in the model that is not load bearing in real.
The card version of the girders were cheap to make being printed onto card after drawing in Autocad, looked accurate but were quite weak. I will try to strengthen them using plastruct angle.
Paul

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:21 am

More photos of the headgears

The north upcast shaft is enclosed with the overwind access doors showing and the open truss girders made from plastruct to carry the weight of the top platform. The lower girders will hopefully be card.
The buildings under construction in the middle photo are the Lamp room and the old fan house
Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Paul,

Not only does your work space put neary all of us to shame by being just TOO tiday, the speed at which you're working is amazing ..... mind you it needs to be with that August 1st deadline !! Anyway so long as it isn't slowing the build please keep getting those photo's in, I'm certain it's the spur from this forum that's kept me working away at mine for so long. I was also persuaded to do a show and now I see my layout is listed in RM for the Sandy show 11 & 12 July, so little time so much to do.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 pm

made some more progress with the model
Paul

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Here are some photos of the old fan-house lamp room and screening plan of the colliery

Once the layout has been on exhibition on august 1st it will be installed into the garage layout
Paul

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:33 pm

gorgeous stuff! XD I absolutely love it :)

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Paul

I like your pumping station, good work.
what is it you use for you truss work below? This is more info For Mumbles as I know he needs something similar for a loco shed.

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 am

The truss work for the roof of the screening plant was made from lengths of 6mm x 2mm pine strip i had left over from the first planking of my model sailing ships. It is readily available from either Cauldercraft or The model-dockyard at truro in cornwall.
Paul

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks again for the info Paul

What have you used to cover the buildings? Plasticard? and how did you fix it to the frame work?

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi
The roof of the building was covered with South eastern finecast,s corrugated iron sheet clear FBS 410 I used PVA white glue to fix the sheets in place. they also do a plain white version, but the advantage with the clear version is that if left un painted it can be used to model corrugated glazing.
Paul
Paul

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:51 am

I,ve made some more progress with the south pit headgear, and have made a second base board for the colliery. One board will be used to display the buildings at exhibitions the other board is part of the garage layout.
Paul

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:03 am

I must say that looks utterly fantastic! I am going to keep a close eye on this layout - it just overflows with Yorkshireness!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 am

PeterH wrote: it just overflows with Yorkshireness!

I should probably say South Walesness... :oops:
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:36 pm

The colliery model has been transfered from the layout in the garage to another base board ready to exhibite at a model show on Aug 1st. Here are some photos of the latest progress. When the Colliery model is re-installed into the garage layout it will be facing the wall as that is the only way i could fit it in, so i may use some mirrors.
Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”