Crayholt

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bigbob

Re: Crayholt

Postby bigbob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Looking sweet mate and yes it is playing!! Boys never grow up, they just get called Men! :lol: :lol:

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello Rich,
Looking forward to more on your Lay-out. How long before you return to "Sea-sick Duty"??? :mrgreen: :P :D ,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Still got another 6 weeks Mike and I don't get sea sick!!

Been making up some more of the Scalescenes stuff and had a pop at making the railway station, bearing in mind the weather has been really crap lately so it was quite nice just to do something.

Here are some pictures of the finished article, I had a go at weathering the model using artists pastels to make it look really grubby, I need to get some matt spray varnish to seal it though.

Because rules are rules. Where would we be without rules, that's right FRANCE!

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:28 pm

hello

the Scalescenes railway station looks great you've done a good job with it especialy the weathering makes it looked more lived in and that's it's had a hard life and been used for a while keep up the good work.

cheers

Darren

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Hello Rich,
That is a very nice model you've made, it looks almost funereal in appearence. What is the era of your Lay-out?,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
PS: Are you currently a crew-member of a RFA vessel or are you about to "join" one at the end of the six(6) weeks

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Started making up the Scalescenes platforms the beauty of the Scalescene kit is you can make it any size you like.

The platform sides anf the structural frames were PVA'd into place on the layout.

Half the platform was laid I used the flagstones and the tarmac laid into each other to look like a cheap tarmac repair, reminiscent of many town stations that had their maintenance fall behind. The platform was made a little dirty where the station is too.

Still need to to the other half of the platform its cut out but needs to be covered with paving and glued down.

On the other side I bought some ballast and having never done it before had a go with some old track on a scrap of baseboard.

I used a spoon to lay it onto the track and then pushed it into place using a small paintbrush so it was even and below the sleepers. It was then sprayed with water with a drop of washing up liquid to make the water wetter, and finally a pva glue mixture was dropped in using an eye dropper bought from a chemist for about 80p.

When it was dry I used a dust grey/earth brown colour wash to weather it a bit, I'm still experimenting with colours to make the track look suitable dirty (I'm not a fan of orange rails!!)

Just to reiterate the layout is based around the late 70's to early 80's BR corporate blue locos reflecting the decay of the railway system at the time, everything all grubby and hanging on by its fingernails.

For the record I'm a serving Systems Engineering Officer in the RFA have been for the last 8 years and I'm currently on leave.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:50 pm

I must say that looks kike a good first attempt at ballasting to me.
I hope my first attempt will look as good!
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Nice work.

What's the (pre-weathering colour) of the brick in your small station buildings? TX24 Dark brown?

Sharing the experience of something I've noticed/learned with printing Scalescenes kits and colour on an inkjet, which may or may not bother you, is that the slate roof colours often distort when printed to turn out with a noticeably blue hue rather than distinctly grey per the image on Scalescenes website. Unless I'm mistaken, it's happened on yours? This might help if it's an issue.

Experimenting, I discovered that when using dye inks, ink quality makes a significant difference. When I print using Epson original cartridges (infrequently) or Inktec (dye ink) bulk ink to refill my CIS', grey is...well..er....grey. Using inexpensive generics, be it cartridge or bulk ink, grey becomes a blue-grey. Experimenting with paper type I found it makes little difference in colour hue, but a significant one in resultant colour saturation, and provided one's printer is up to the job as any contemporary 6 colour cartridge ones are, finessed detail at the resolution and thus overall finish. IME spraying with matt fixer doesn't actually alter or improve the finish or perception of 3D. It just seals the inks and the weathering. I use a comprehensive colour set of (Made in Germany) Staedtler artist's water colour pencils for weathering, either directly applied or brushed on and dusted off on shavings. Works well, with the desired subtlety.

BTW, I also bought the station platform kit along with the footbridge on the weekend. Haven't put one together yet though. Yours is looking good. Coming together nicely. I look forward to seeing pics of it finished. Cheers.

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Hello Rich,
The paving-work on the platform looks really good. I was considering how the platform would look if laid in larger stone-slabs(say 2' x 4's). That ballasting is excellent, also. I'll be much happier when I get the garden-shed delivered and built and commence Table-building.
What are the Commission-periods now, Rich, the Army were 9 years, and then were reduced to 6?
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

sapper_k

Postby sapper_k » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:37 pm

i signed for 4 years, you have to give 12 months notice to leave, you can hand notice to terminate in at 3 year point,
so you serve your 4.
if you want to serve longer you dont have to sign anything you just keep serving to your 22 year point ( 24 year point if you take the new V-ENG )
the army always seem to be allowed to change there minds when they want if we want to stand up for ourselves we get AGAI 67 action taken lol

just thought i would jump in on that one

just to let you know i have 9 months left till im out

kye
CONGRESS CAN MAKE GENERALS....ONLY COMMUNICATIONS CAN MAKE A COMMANDER

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 pm

For me its a job, I applied got in, I'll work until I either find something else or I retire. If I want to quit its just 3 months notice. No return of service required.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:14 pm

the station platform is crying out for detailing ,smashing layout in the making :D
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Track looks great :) Nice job edging the ballast.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Had a go at the ballasting after my practice attempt. I've done the part by the station platform and the DCC programming siding. It takes time to push all the ballast between the sleepers and trying to get the edge square. When its dry I run the hoover over it to pick up all the loose bits and also, annoyingly any bits I've failed to glue down, but just ease in some bits of ballast and then reglue it down. It goes rock hard when dried I don't think that track is going to come up and survive if I ever change my mind in the future!!

Anyway here are the pics.

Also when I'm running locos over the ballasted areas the train makes a lovely whooshing noise as it passes compared to the rumble where it is just pinned to the baseboard.

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:23 pm

Hello Rich,
Excellent work on the ballasting. The Lay-out is looking really good. So what's next on the agenda?,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”