Crayholt

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ste234

Re: Crayholt

Postby ste234 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:18 pm

hobby boy wrote:
bigbob wrote:"Point motors attached directly to the point is much more reliable than when it has an extended pin."

"depends what every one is used to. I have used both methods and they are as reliable as each other."

Make your mind up Nobby Boy :roll:

well it is a bit more reliable than the extended pin as you cut a big hole. I got my extended pin motor more reliable by getting it better in line (it was hard!!!!!)
But all together at the end of the day when their working they are just as reliable as each other.

Hobby Boy

Eh :shock: you start by saying "well it is a bit more reliable" then say "they are just as reliable as each other"
Please make up your mind :roll:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Remember that track from 20 years ago may be steel and could rust, especially if cleaning it with abrasives.

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:29 pm

First of all if you want to argue which point motor is best create a new thread don't use mine..

The 20 year old track is Peco set track which is also nickel not steel, thanks for pointing that out, I think I would have noticed.

Back to MY layout.

Bought a Hornby Class 08 on Ebay its a brand new never been run 1981 model, the brushes barely had any wear on them but still it had to stripped down completely and cleaned and rebuilt.

It was stuttering around the track but after a good service it ran like new, then it was converted to DCC and I had a go at running it around the track with my new Hornby Elite controller. I only played with it for 5 mins or so and need to set it up properly so the acceleration/de-acceleration of the 08 is prototypical.

I got back to the wiring and connected all the drop wires together, here's a tip use automotive thin wall wire. Its fairly lightweight but can handle quite a lot of current, also metre for metre its much cheaper and better quality than the wire that can be bought from Maplins and I had loads left from the Kit Car I built. I used 15A wire for the dropwires and linked them all back to one point where the controller will be mounted, also a siding has been isolated from the layout and will be used for the programming of the loco's. a DPDT switch will be added so I can swap between DCC and programming from the (to be built) control panel.

The points were also wired up and all the wiring was brought back to a central point, the return wires for the point motors were common'd together to reduce the amount of wires being taken back to the control panel. The wires were routed away from the DCC wires to prevent any interference. they were finally wrapped in cable wrap and all the cable ends were identified and labelled according to a mimic drawing I made.

Because rules are rules. Where would we be without rules, that's right FRANCE!

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:44 am

wow it does look tidy under there!(much tidier than my baseboard)
so on your layout, do you have 13 point motors on?

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:04 pm

hobby boy wrote:wow it does look tidy under there!(much tidier than my baseboard)
so on your layout, do you have 13 point motors on?

Hobby Boy

QUIT IT you pest!

On a lighter note, I didn't realise that about the track, thanks for informing me. I have to say thats a very neat job you've done with the wiring too, looks very professional.

Ryan

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 pm

hmmm, where do you mount that pesky controller? Do you have it on the baseboard ruining the look or do you mount it on a table that you have to climb over every time you want to get around the layout?

Or, do you use an old computer desk and mount the keyboard drawer under the layout?

Thats what I have done and now I can pull out the drawer to have a play and then push it back out of the way when I'm finished, of course you need an old computer desk to butcher for bits...

No more stupid questions Hobby Boy, okay!

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 am

I have only just found this, it certainly looks well thought out and excellently constructed.

Well done on the comment to keep arguments out of the thread.

Dave

sapper_k

Postby sapper_k » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm

hi

ive just noticed this thread, your layout is really neat and tidy, i wish any of my little areas were that tidy i have STUFF everywhere
your wiring looks neat and i like the keyboard draw idea

keep up the good work

i will keep an eye on this one

kye
CONGRESS CAN MAKE GENERALS....ONLY COMMUNICATIONS CAN MAKE A COMMANDER

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 pm

I'm of the mindset that if it is to be done it has to be done properly or if I can't I'll find a way to do it within my abilities. A bit like "hobby boy" should engage his brain before typing a reply (just an observation).

This is just a slow time project to keep me amused when on leave so I'll drop off the radar for time to time when I'm off on deployment, albeit I'm on leave until the end of September. Although I did only have 3 weeks off in 10 months whilst working 7 days a week think I deserve it. Did get to see Turkey though which was going great until the RM had a fight with the RN, result Police, tear gas and shots fired in the air. Was really good fun to watch from a local bar terrace until the tear gas wafted our way, certainly cleared the sinuses...

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Good tidy work so far, some nicely thought out ideas 8)

Ignore the argument re HB - not just your thread it's happened in I'm afraid as he's been annoying people all over the place with stupid questions, telling people what they SHOULD do or have on their layouts, and seemingly unable to reply without using the quote button!!! :roll: Ignore him and he might go away :wink:

Anyway, keep up the quality of the work, quantity doesn't matter. It IS a hobby after all and is meant to occupy your 'spare' time.

Paul

Loconut

Postby Loconut » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi Richrailway

Just caught up with this thread and I am really impressed with the buid quality of your baseboard. Not only that but your pics showing what is going on under the boards is great - good reference info!

I have an old Peco video that features Bredon and it looked very impressive - Looking forward to seeing how this develops :-)

Cheers
Loconut
I need more space !

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Been making a control box for the points, simple construction of plywood, need to make a aluminium front for it.

Just tried it out on the keyboard shelf along with the monitor for the camera which will be mounted behind the back scene so I can see what is going on. The plan is to get the track and points operational before I even go anywhere near ballasting, seems a sensible idea.

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 pm

That's my next job :lol:

One point about electrics before ballasting - wouldn't that involve more of a risk of getting errant glue in motor mechanisms when you do ballast??? Not saying it's wrong like, but I opted to ballast first on the basis that if all the points work OK manually after ballasting, then it's just a case of making sure the point motors are lined up correctly and they WILL work :wink:

Be interesting to find out which way round others have done it. Whatever happens good luck with it :)

Paul

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Tried but didn't really start anything, BT Vision/On Demand TV can really suck up a day!! Been messing on the PC and figuring out how to control the points.

I decided as there is quite a lot of points on a small layout and in a bid to keep things interesting I'm using a points switching system that will fire points in a preset mimic. This will not only allow easy operation of multiple locos where i don't have to think about what points to set to prevent a derail but also make me think about shunting in a logical sequence.

This is the Mimic which I have printed on transparency film that will be sandwiched between a layer of clear plastic and the aluminium front panel. The numbers represent the switch numbers.

The points will be controlled by push button switches on a matrix system. The circuit also includes a CDU to give the necessary jolt to switch multiple points at once. The diodes are required as the same points are fired by different switches and this is to prevent a back feed from activating the points in the wrong sequence. Not shown on the diagram is the common return for the point motors but this connects to the lower rail on the CDU.

Off on holiday the day after tomorrow so won't be starting anything big so will spend my time producing a PEC layout for the above circuit diagram and when I get back it will be time to dig out the PCB etching stuff.

The software I used for the schematic and PEC layout is called Express PCB and is totally free and is a pretty good CAD software package http://www.expresspcb.com/

richrailway

Postby richrailway » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Haven't been up to much lately, had my holiday and when I got back I had to have the two lower wisdom teeth removed. So not really felt like doing much to the railway but will do soon.

In the meantime acquired 2 new locos, both ebay finds, both needed overhauling and both run great. One is a Hornby and runs well and the other is a Lima and could quite happily pull a car along!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”