Crayholt

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User avatar
richrailway
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Crayholt

Postby richrailway » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Since thinking about building a railway since last year, I haven't had the chance due to work and pesky deployments so now I'm in a position to start.

I've used the layout Bredon from the peco set track plans book as detailed in the under construction thread and I'm building it in the era of late 70's corporate blue BR under the layout name of Crayholt.

I started on the construction of the baseboard, it's a softwood timber frame with a 44mm square beam running in a cruciform in the middle with a glued cross halving joint to give the frame strength. The baseboard top is constructed in sundeala, I know a lot of people hate it but I've used it before and I quite like it as long as its well supported and adequately screwed down. I also give it 2 coats of emulsion to seal it. Also the layout is in a room in my house so won't be subjected to extremes of temperature or humidity.

Image

Image

With the baseboard prepared the track has been laid but not pinned into place, the layout is a mixture of my old track that was taken from a layout I had 20 years ago and some new stuff that was bought recently. The contrast between the new track and the old track is quite obvious so I'm thinking of applying a paint wash on the rail sides to tone the new stuff down to match the older rail.

Image

So that brings me up to today, I've spent today soldering tails onto the point motors, of which I also had left from the old layout too.

Image

I also made a template out of aluminium sheet for the hole I need to cut to fit the point motor in a baseboard, the template also has two holes in it that allow me to drill holes in the baseboard so I can solder copper dropwire directly to the underside of the track so they will be hidden whent he track is ballasted down later. Since I'll be going for a DCC system I need a few dropwires to cover the whole layout.

Image
Because rules are rules. Where would we be without rules, that's right FRANCE!

Sprintex
Posts: 737
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: No longer here
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby Sprintex » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 pm

Only just started and the HST is out on track already - good man!! :wink:


Paul

User avatar
ste234
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Teeside

Re: Crayholt

Postby ste234 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Sprintex wrote:Only just started and the HST is out on track already - good man!! :wink:


Paul

:roll: how typical of you Paul eh... :wink: :lol:
Its not in your colours though is it :lol:
Richrailway nice start there, looks like a decent run of track :)
Cheers,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

User avatar
Infrontcat
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Southend-on-Sea
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:47 am

Sprintex wrote:Only just started and the HST is out on track already - good man!! :wink:

I must admit, it's a mandatory requirement in my household. If the 125 don't like it, it's history :)

Good to see another Corp Blue layout on here and I look forward to seeing it develop. Got any ideas as to the scenery you're gonna add or is it very much a case of 'cross that bridge when we come to it' for now?

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

User avatar
hobby boy
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby hobby boy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:36 am

richrailway wrote:With the baseboard prepared the track has been laid but not pinned into place, the layout is a mixture of my old track that was taken from a layout I had 20 years ago and some new stuff that was bought recently. The contrast between the new track and the old track is quite obvious so I'm thinking of applying a paint wash on the rail sides to tone the new stuff down to match the older rail.

Image

Could we have a trackplan available so we can see a birds eye view of all the track?

Hobby boy

(EDIT - quote cut down as Raider doesn't like me having quotes not relevant)
Last edited by hobby boy on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

User avatar
iankemp
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Long Eaton, Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby iankemp » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:04 pm

richrailway wrote:
Image


just a thought on this instead of cutting a hole for the point motor, just cut a slot big enough for the point rod to slide through so it moves side to side. All you would need to do it mark out where the point slide is going to be located and then drill a small hold then cut a slot. Just a thought that is! i think it is so much easier than cutting a hole for the motor.

User avatar
hobby boy
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby hobby boy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:08 pm

iankemp wrote:
richrailway wrote:
Image


just a thought on this instead of cutting a hole for the point motor, just cut a slot big enough for the point rod to slide through so it moves side to side. All you would need to do it mark out where the point slide is going to be located and then drill a small hold then cut a slot. Just a thought that is! i think it is so much easier than cutting a hole for the motor.

I think he is going to cut that hole out in the board because he is to have the point motors directly attached to the point.

Hobby Boy
Last edited by hobby boy on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

User avatar
richrailway
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby richrailway » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Because rules are rules. Where would we be without rules, that's right FRANCE!

User avatar
richrailway
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby richrailway » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 pm

I had a box of Peco Point motors salvaged from another layout, bearing in mind they would have cost me about £40 to buy new ones with the longer pin it made sense to reuse the ones I had. They mount directly to the underside of the point and require a card shim to be mounted between the point and the motor to stop the ballast material from falling down the hole.

Image

Image

I've fitted all the motors on the mainlines all 10 of them and all I need to fit is the 3 for the sidings.

I also fitted the drop wires for the the DCC bus so all parts of the layout is powered at all times I probably overdid it slightly but I'm aiming for a degree of reliability, something that comes with my job or it would if I was in charge, instead we get the cheapest stuff at the highest price!!

Image

I soldered solid copper wire on the underside of the track so when the track is ballasted the wires will not be seen.

I'll be spending the next few days finishing off the installation of the point motors and wiring up the DCC bus under the layout. Also I'll be bringing all the point motor wires back to the front of the layout. I have an old computer desk which I scrapped and I've made a frame to hold the keyboard drawer so that it can be pushed under the layout when not in use and thus out of the way.

There is a scene break to be fitted at the back of the layout to hide the run around loop, when fitted I wont be able to see what is going on so I have a small colour TV camera I acquired years ago and a 5" LCD monitor I've got so I'll be able to see what is going on, I could use a mirror but I'm flash.
Because rules are rules. Where would we be without rules, that's right FRANCE!

User avatar
hobby boy
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby hobby boy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:32 am

richrailway wrote:I had a box of Peco Point motors salvaged from another layout, bearing in mind they would have cost me about £40 to buy new ones with the longer pin it made sense to reuse the ones I had. They mount directly to the underside of the point and require a card shim to be mounted between the point and the motor to stop the ballast material from falling down the hole.

Image

Image

I've fitted all the motors on the mainlines all 10 of them and all I need to fit is the 3 for the sidings.

I also fitted the drop wires for the the DCC bus so all parts of the layout is powered at all times I probably overdid it slightly but I'm aiming for a degree of reliability, something that comes with my job or it would if I was in charge, instead we get the cheapest stuff at the highest price!!

Image

I soldered solid copper wire on the underside of the track so when the track is ballasted the wires will not be seen.

I'll be spending the next few days finishing off the installation of the point motors and wiring up the DCC bus under the layout. Also I'll be bringing all the point motor wires back to the front of the layout. I have an old computer desk which I scrapped and I've made a frame to hold the keyboard drawer so that it can be pushed under the layout when not in use and thus out of the way.

There is a scene break to be fitted at the back of the layout to hide the run around loop, when fitted I wont be able to see what is going on so I have a small colour TV camera I acquired years ago and a 5" LCD monitor I've got so I'll be able to see what is going on, I could use a mirror but I'm flash.

Point motors attached directly to the point is much more reliable than when it has an extended pin.
Great idea with the cctv camera, i'll put one in my tunnel (when it's built)

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

bsa77
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: Crayholt

Postby bsa77 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:36 am

hobby boy wrote:Point motors attached directly to the point is much more reliable than when it has an extended pin.
Great idea with the cctv camera, i'll put one in my tunnel (when it's built)

Hobby Boy


I disagree with this having used both methods in OO and the extended pin (seep motor) method in N. I found that the extended pin type tend to be a lot more reliable when the layout is ballasted and a damn sight easier to replace if they do die.

Each to their own I guess!

User avatar
hobby boy
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby hobby boy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:55 pm

bsa77 wrote:
hobby boy wrote:Point motors attached directly to the point is much more reliable than when it has an extended pin.
Great idea with the cctv camera, i'll put one in my tunnel (when it's built)

Hobby Boy


I disagree with this having used both methods in OO and the extended pin (seep motor) method in N. I found that the extended pin type tend to be a lot more reliable when the layout is ballasted and a damn sight easier to replace if they do die.

Each to their own I guess!

depends what every one is used to. I have used both methods and they are as reliable as each other.

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

bigbob
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:21 pm
Location: Chester

Re: Crayholt

Postby bigbob » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:01 pm

"Point motors attached directly to the point is much more reliable than when it has an extended pin."

"depends what every one is used to. I have used both methods and they are as reliable as each other."


Make your mind up Nobby Boy :roll:
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!


ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

bsa77
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: Crayholt

Postby bsa77 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:07 pm

From the great Prophet, Mr Homer Simpson - Doh...

:roll:

User avatar
hobby boy
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Crayholt

Postby hobby boy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:08 pm

bigbob wrote:"Point motors attached directly to the point is much more reliable than when it has an extended pin."

"depends what every one is used to. I have used both methods and they are as reliable as each other."


Make your mind up Nobby Boy :roll:

well it is a bit more reliable than the extended pin as you cut a big hole. I got my extended pin motor more reliable by getting it better in line (it was hard!!!!!)
But all together at the end of the day when their working they are just as reliable as each other.

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15


Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests