Llandublo, a North Wales layout in OO gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
live-frog

Postby live-frog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:19 pm

engineer dave wrote:....and I forgot to mention.... "llandublo" an inspired choice for a name

Well , the thought pattern was very simple Dave - has to be for me !!
Nearly llandudno in OO :- Llan-double-O ; Llan dublo !!
--- and I forget to mention Dave ---thanks for dragging my thread up from the depths of page 5 !!

Regards
Ron

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:06 pm

exelent layout,i hist want to why is it called Llandublo and not Llandudno? :? :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

deltatango

Postby deltatango » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 am

Great Job nice work, this is what keeps very one on there toes, and
by looking at other layouts you can copy a little here and there.

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm

deltatango wrote:Great Job nice work, this is what keeps very one on there toes, and
by looking at other layouts you can copy a little here and there.

Kind words indeed Terry , thank you.
I don't have an update as such at the moment as ballasting about 50 yards of track is the main job on the go at the moment - exciting Heh ? !!.
I've done about 10 up to now ! I'll post a couple of pics when I think the work's made a noticeable difference.
Thanks again
Ron

02_tank_buff

Re: Llandublo "OO & OO9" gauges

Postby 02_tank_buff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Very nice-I like the mixed gauges and the photos are excellent!!!

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:00 pm

After a 'dormant' summer on the modelling front and a steady downward spiral to page 4 !! , I've now started on a major revision on the "back strait".
The first comment is that I've abandoned the 009/00 diarama of Blaenau Ffestiniog for the moment. I may return to it in the future as a separate project.

Here's the plan :-

The changes will be as follows : 1) New upper level station based on Holyhead with scratch-built platform canopy
2) Bangor Yard with cement unloading installation and goods warehouse - to be scratch built.
3) Penmaenmawr Quarry with loading facility - to be scratch built.

The first change was the re-laying of the centre tracks of the former hidden passing loop area to gain access to an upper level.
This involved cutting out the 6 mm ply and wedging risers underneath to allow the outer tracks to be cleared.

My major decision at this stage is whether to put a removable top over the 5 outer tracks or to leave it open and ballast - what does the team think ?
My view is that covering would be more prototypical but that it may lose some effect if closed in.

Which brings me to the next bit. I needed to find a virtually sheer-face prototype to background the shed and yard. I eventually found Machynlleth which served quite well as a reference point with the added bonus that it is in Wales !
The construction is of plaster of Paris layed on polystyrene slabs fixed to hardboard.
AND an opportunity to show off some of my recent acquisitions : Super D - 49395 flanked by Royal Scot - 46140 & Rebodied Peak class 45 No. D67.

Next comes the Penmaenmawr quarry siding (s) just one at the moment but will expand to two or at a squeeze 3.
I couldn't help noticing that my Ffestiniog 'rock' looked a bit like Penmaenhead so I've rescued that from the meltdown !!

The Holyhead station & Bangor yard set-up is by far and away the biggest amount of work and cost as it will involve something like an extra dozen points & motors plus half a box of flex !! - this will take some time to fund :

Here's the general area which will have an additional 1.2 meter baseboard added at the left hand side to accommodate the station building :-
And finally , an overview shot of the whole of this section :-

Wakey-wakey at the back !!!
Cheers
Ron

Infrontcat

Re: Llandublo, a North Wales layout in OO gauge

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:38 pm

Flippin' 'eck Ron, you been on the energy pills or somat? ;)

What an expansion! If you're working on Holyhead by the way, and yer fed up with it at any stage, you can always pop in to my mum's for a cuppa :D Great idea though mate: wuite fond of Holyhead Station. It was the first time I saw the Network Rail 'Flying Banana' for starters :) and I love the journey along the north coast very much.

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:23 pm

Wow! Have just found this layout, and have read all of it. Amazing job...amazing.

And no, I'm not at all jealous at having found someone else with a 5m x 3m layout with a castle. :roll: - so much for my individuality! As the motivational poster of the snowflake says: "Remember, you are unique. Just like everybody else."

Seriously, though, this is cracking stuff. :D Looking forward to seeing the ballasted magnificence to come...

Gavin

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Ron,

Nice to see work progressing on Llandublo. I'll be following this thread with interest as I'm keen to see how you do Penmaenmwr quarry. I've not started on my quarry section yet, hopefully you'll be able to provide some pointers and inspiration!

Bangor station should be good to model too, as its a great scene in istelf, with the tunnels at each end. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

All the best

Dave

PS, if there's ever a comp for on this board for the best named layout, Llandublo should win hands down!

Iechyd da!
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Ron,

I love that view in the final photo 8)

Is the square building on the top of the bank scratch built :?:

Lofty

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:07 pm

live-frog wrote:

I couldn't help noticing that my Ffestiniog 'rock' looked a bit like Penmaenhead so I've rescued that from the meltdown !!

Wakey-wakey at the back !!!
Cheers
Ron

Always good to view this layout Ron ....I really like that backscene.
For the benefit of anyone who has been "asleep" at the back .... :P :wink:
I first saw this layout on this forum a week after retuning from a holiday in Conwy,North Wales ...it was one those layouts on which I recognised and placed the location straight away ....Brilliant as always Ron ...keep up the good work.

best regards
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

kevin

Postby kevin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:36 pm

great modeling ron .keep up the good work.

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:13 am

Sorry for the late response guys but I couldn't get onto the forum all day yesterday.
Thanks for the encouragement !! much appreciated.
Tim , As I'm sure you'll know , Holyhead is huge, so my version will be just a snippet ! We may have a few days at Beaumaris next Spring so tell your mum to get the kettle on !!
Gavin , your castle is also unique just like mine and everyone elses' :D
Engineer Dave , I've rather crammed Penmaenmawr in , as you do !! I was originally thinking of a working conveyer but I think that may be wishful thinking. I was thinking of Bangor station before I started Llandudno junction but now I just can't fit it in.
Lofty Dave , do you mean the small single story affair ? If so , yes , it's based on an old signing-on cabin at Llandudno Junction.
Terry , good to hear from you , as an aside - do you know of a repair man who could do up an old Airfix 4F ?
Kevin , cheers and thanks for the kind comments.

Thanks again boys and just to show my appreciation , I'll indulge myself with a small video in the next few days !!
Regards
Ron

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:22 am

Ron,

Maybe you could find space on your layout for a model of InfrontCat's Mum's house. Complete with 'live steam' kettle! :)
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:58 am

live-frog wrote: Terry , good to hear from you , as an aside - do you know of a repair man who could do up an old Airfix 4F ?

Hi Ron ...I cant personally recomend anyone from experience,but I think if I was trying to get my 4F running ...the first place I'd ask would be my local [Sheffield] model shops ....if I got no joy there,I'd be likely to try contacting "Son of Triangman" to see if he could help....[does SoTM use this forum?,if not,maybe you could catch him on the Hornby forum]
Having bought that model myself .... secondhand and as a "non-runner" from one of my said local model shops maybe my first suggestion is'nt such a good idea after all. :oops: :wink:
Although mine would'nt run at all when I bought it,I have managed to make a runner of it ...but being tender drive,having such a lightweight body with the pick-ups in the loco body and using traction tyres its far from what I'd call a "good loco" ....the construction,although nicely detailed,leaves a lot to be desired too,its very tricky to dismantle and re-assemble,and having two wires going from the loco to the tender does nothing for it's "realism".
Sorry to sound so "negative" ....but tbh,although my 4F is a runner,it does'nt get used too often on my layout.

best regards
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”