My completely redeveloped layout in OO (from p.9)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ChrisWV10

My completely redeveloped layout in OO (from p.9)

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 am

Picked up a Hornby GWR Pullman digital set a couple of weeks ago after deciding to go OO instead of N. Space considerations mean it's unlikely to grow much beyond the trackmat size of 6'x4'. I might fit in an extra 2' on the end but I've seen some excellent layouts on here of a similar size so .....

Other than pasting the trackmat onto some sheets of hardboard, there's no scenic progress made yet other than a bargain accessory pack (fiver :) ) and the base needs securing to something a bit more rigid as it's curling up a bit at the ends rather like a BR cheese & onion sandwich :D

I've added an additional siding that runs parallel to the level crossing for some extra siding/shunting space. Incidentally, I'm using DCC (Dynamis) and the whole layout is powered by 2 wires from the controller. Just 2. no Bus. No solder. You might just make out the Hornby power track on the right edge of the trackmat pic with the 2 orange buttons to insert the power cable. Now I'm not pooh-poohing the idea that you must run a power bus and solder all your connections and it's probably a good idea for a larger layout but just wanted to reassure anyone thinking of adopting DCC for a small(ish) layout that it really can be as simple as this.

Anyway, here's what we've got so far.....

Most of the trackmat
trakmat-web.jpg
trakmat-web.jpg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 6892 times

IMG_0033-web.jpg
IMG_0033-web.jpg (52.27 KiB) Viewed 6860 times

IMG_0028-web.jpg
IMG_0028-web.jpg (78.81 KiB) Viewed 6850 times

IMG_0036-web.jpg
IMG_0036-web.jpg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 6856 times

Class 56 with sound. I just wanted something noisy and this is it :)
IMG_0032-web.jpg
IMG_0032-web.jpg (69.15 KiB) Viewed 6841 times

I'm pretty much going to follow the Trackmat plan with regards to buildings/scenery with some extras. Actually probably a lot of extras :D

Thanks for looking. :)
Last edited by ChrisWV10 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

bizzyd6405

Re: My Trackmat layout

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:49 pm

hay chris great start, looking good glad to see you've gone dcc, as good choice on the Dynamis, it's what i'm using and it works great and like you said dcc is really easy to achieve on layouts the size of ours, one thing is that a t9 i spot it the first picture in the top corner?

keep up the good work

darren

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:09 pm

bizzyd6405 wrote:.... is that a t9 i spot it the first picture in the top corner?

darren

Cheers Darren..... ummmm... yes.... it was a bargain you see.... £79 from Ian Allen in Birmingham DCC fitted. Cheapest I've seen elsewhere is Hattons @ £99. So had to get it really. :D

Food might be off the menu for the rest of the month tho' :?

IMG_0031-web.jpg
IMG_0031-web.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 6761 times

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Should also say that I tried an Elite that I got 2nd hand with a couple of accessory decoders from my local shop. I could only get 1of the decoders to work and the other gave up the 2nd time I powered everything up for a play..er.. test! I also had some difficulty getting it to accept which loco I wanted to control assigned to the 2 buttons so I took it back and got the Dynamis instead. Must say, it's a doddle to use compared to the Elite. Tho' to be fair, seems the Elite/decoders may have been faulty. Not had to program anything yet but have set names and symbols for my existing locos. I quite like that I can set the base unit up out the way at the other end of the table and have control from t'other end with no trailing wires. Well pleased with it. Just have to see how the battery life goes.

:)

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:34 pm

battery life should be good, mine seems to last for ages, like you said its great to have the freedom to move around without being stuck in one spot and just pressing one button for the function is so much simpler then having to press the couple of buttons that you have to on the hornby controllers.

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:35 pm

battery life should be good, mine seems to last for ages, like you said its great to have the freedom to move around without being stuck in one spot and just pressing one button for the function is so much simpler then having to press the couple of buttons that you have to on the hornby controllers.

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:28 am

Made up a couple of metcalfe kits this week....

I'd bought the railway workers cottages in N so thought I'd try those and see how I got on. Only made 1 so far and there's 4 in the pack with a little outhouse/shed.

cottage-web.jpg
cottage-web.jpg (69.1 KiB) Viewed 6566 times

Quite easy to construct and I was impressed with how they look so inspired by my (imho) success, I also bought the water tower & sandhouse pack and the church.

Here's the sandhouse. Water tower is still flat! :shock:

sandtower-web.jpg
sandtower-web.jpg (89.03 KiB) Viewed 6480 times

And finally the church. So many windows! And it's a bit bigger than I thought it would be (still thinking in N). No idea where the small buttresses go tho'. They don't appear in any pics on the packaging and the instructions only say how to construct them, not where to put them. Unless they're an optional extra or replacement for the long ones? :?

church2-web.jpg
church2-web.jpg (83.14 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

More to come when I decide where they're going....

Cheers

C.

frolly

Postby frolly » Sun May 10, 2009 7:10 pm

ChrisWV10 wrote:Made up a couple of metcalfe kits this week....

And finally the church. So many windows! And it's a bit bigger than I thought it would be (still thinking in N). No idea where the small buttresses go tho'. They don't appear in any pics on the packaging and the instructions only say how to construct them, not where to put them. Unless they're an optional extra or replacement for the long ones? :?

C.

the small buttresses go on the East wall, if you look at the plan at th top right of the first page of instructions it shows you there.
I have put mine on the corners at 45deg. that looks better IMHO. or you could leave them off as in the photo's on the pack

I spent days painting the windows with stained glass paint. i'll post a photo when i start my layout thread. I'm also looking for a small analog battery watch for the clock for the Church and Station..

By the way you have made a great job of the builings
Frolly from Derby

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:37 pm

the kits look really good you've done a good job, i had the same thing with the small buttresses i just left them off in the end.
i'm also rather tempted to get the metcalfe cottages myself now after seeing how good yours are, so it looks likei'll be stealing one of your ideas lol, so guess that makes us even.

keep up the good work

Darren

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I've found where it says stick the small buttresses on the east wall at the end of the Chancel. It's on the first page, but it tells you how to assemble them on page 3! :? I wonder why they don't show them attached in the photos? Because the large ones go on the tower, I thought they must go on the other corners but couldn't see how. Duh.... I'll stick them together and see how they look.

Frolly, the church must look amazing with coloured windows. Do you have lights in it? I considered colouring the windows very briefly but decided very quickly it would just be too much hassle. I take my hat off to you for having the patience to do it. I was getting fed up just assembling them all :? A small watch as the tower clock is an excellent idea!

Darren, the railway workers cottage come out really nice as it seems all Metcalfe kits do and they're very easy and reasonably quick to assemble.... well one of them at a time is! I'll let you have that idea as I don't think I'm going to do them in OO. I'm glad they were my first kit as I might have been put off if I'd done the church first. Not that it's come out badly, it just took a long time.

I was trying to think of a suitable churchey scene other than a wedding. Would it be too gruesome to do the scene from The Omen with the lightning conductor and the priest outside the church? :twisted: :D

frolly

Postby frolly » Sun May 10, 2009 10:18 pm

Beetlejuice climbing out of a grave would look good!

yes i have put lights in the church, i have not started to build the layout as yet, just making some models untill i'm over an operation i had.
But i'll start a layout under construction thread soon and see if i can get some photo's up

I have also built the coaching in, sand house etc, a signal box and part of the station. All Metcalf, Good looking models at a fair price
Frolly from Derby

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Sun May 10, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Chris,

Good to see the layout starting, and extra interesting to see what you can do with the trackmat plan?? I decided against it, but do wonder how versatile it can be so i'll watch with interest... :D

Buildings look good, I've built the Metcalfe Tarraced Houses and they do go together very well. I like what you've done with power to the track! I know my layout runs fine with just one feed but something has compelled me to fit a bus and droppers..why? I don't know. Does it work well at slow speeds, ie shunting?

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Cheers Grahame. Really pleased with the 2 wire solution. Just add 2 electro clips to the points and it all works. May not be suitable for larger layouts but for a trackmat it's fine. No problems with slow speeds other than the usual stalling over insulfrog points with the gwr tank. The 56 is excellent, creeps along.

I'm mostly following the trackmat plan (so far) tho' I've already decided against the small halt between the 2 loops. just doesn't look right to me and then extending the centre station with 2 curves. Not using all the Hornby kit buildings either.

Frolly, like the zombie idea! Perhaps I could rig up a small speaker in the church with some suitable gothic church organ music :D
Last edited by ChrisWV10 on Mon May 11, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Mon May 11, 2009 6:28 pm

This layout is coming together nicely. I see you'll need a single track level crossing so you can get cars out.

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:12 pm

You spotted the flaw in the plan! Yes, not sure whether a 3 track level crossing will look right tho'. But then, there's nowhere for traffic to go (other than over the edge and a painful plummet to the floor) so I'm not too worried about it.

So! here's a couple more pics.

I've gone for the wrought iron railings look round the church. I quite like it. Needs a bit of dressing up with some rough grass and need another pack of fencing to complete it but you get the idea.

church3-web.jpg
church3-web.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 6250 times

church4-web.jpg
church4-web.jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 6241 times

And the station so far. Added some peeps no doubt waiting for the delayed (again) 8.45 :roll:

Think I might add some canopies and maybe cover the edges of the platforms in some brick or stone edging? Or maybe just paint them a suitable brick colour? What do folks think? Also might paint the the luggage trolley and car. Looks a bit unfinished in black but no idea what it should look like. Need to try and find a suitable look a like for some inspiration.

stn1-web.jpg
stn1-web.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 6223 times

stn2-web.jpg
stn2-web.jpg (55.95 KiB) Viewed 6207 times

Cheers!

C. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”