Marks Large Attic Conversion Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:28 pm

Mark, thats a great plan 8) i envy your space :)

Raider

Postby Raider » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:35 pm

Nothing wrong with Hornby or big layouts.

Remind me what the dimensions of the available space if you could.

Blue_Dalek

Postby Blue_Dalek » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:21 pm

Never meant to come across as negative.. was just curious if you had a plan for the layout.. such as for example..

'frieght trains start here, stop here and finish their trip here, then reverse..'

that kinda thing.

heinz

Postby heinz » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:43 am

mycerbera wrote:Whats wrong with hornby and a BIG layout?!

Such negative vibs recently on here :(

Merely suggestions my friend. I like it either way. :D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:44 pm

Love the set up. It seems uncannily similar in look and feel to my dad's old layout at my grand parents when I was a lad. Excellent stuff! Wish I had the room indoors for that sort of set up (That's why I'm banished to the garden :wink:)

I shall be watching this one with nostalgic interest (though not curiosity 'cos that might kill me...)

Tim
(aka Infront Cat)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:06 pm

Thanks for your comments positive or not...

Do Layouts HAVE to have a POINT?!

Enjoyment in designing, building and operating trains on them is the main thing surely? Well it is for me!

I guess the POINT of my layout is to run long HSTs, at decent speeds, through lovely country side, with lots to see on the way (just like the real thing) and then have some areas to shunt and run slower steam engines etc.

I have a large loft to play with, the current layout being 16 foot by 5 foot for the main line section and then having the two 15 foot by 2 and a half foot sections for the current Main terminus and Goods yard/Turntable areas.

But i may increase the size to the full attic dimensions in my new layout plan seen on the previous page of this posting which is about another 5 foot to be added to each of the 2 side sections and then join then up with another narrow 15 foot section at the back of the loft to create the 3 large HST running loops.

It keeps me busy and interested, and with our 1st baby on the way (3mth scan yesterday) i'm not sure how much longer i can keep it up, so i'm making the most of my time and money while i still can!!!

Whatnothomas

Postby Whatnothomas » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:43 pm

Congrats on the news of the baby, Maybe best not to restart completly at the moment but to add to existing layout.

only about 2 years before you can build a thomas layout for the child :)

Best wishes

Andrew

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:44 pm

Great news about the baby! :D Model railways dont need to have a purpose that is shared by all. I think your idea of running HSTs in long loops is great! Reminds me of a heated debate in Railway Modeller about the point of model railways, arguing that everything should be prototypical and to scale, with no fiddle yards. No-one should try and impose a purpose on every model railway, as each layout caters for different needs and wants. So go ahead with your layout! It's a great plan and I can't wait to see some pictures. :)

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:58 pm

mycerbera wrote:But i may increase the size to the full attic dimensions in my new layout plan

I first boarded out the first 6 feet of my loft but since then I have extended it twice but it still doesn’t encompass the whole space. I am currently re-designing my boards and your post has set me off thinking again (especially as the wife is off on a short holiday with her sister very soon) perhaps I should go for the full shooting match

Lofty

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm in the "bit too busy" camp. I think it's the loops at the top. However I think it's fair to say that given a certain amount of space we'd all come up with a different "favourite" design. It's your layout and you'll be the one using it, so go with what makes you happy. I very much look forward to seeing how it progresses.

If I'm going to say it's too busy I may as well say what I'd do. I'd have 4 Loops with a large station at the top and a station down either side. Possibly a branch line to a colliery in the middle bit.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 pm

Mark,

Go for it :D You've got the money, get the track down and see how you go. If there's bits you don't like you can change it when the tracks down.

heinz

Postby heinz » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:35 am

dr5euss wrote:Mark,

Go for it :D You've got the money, get the track down and see how you go. If there's bits you don't like you can change it when the tracks down.

seconding :D

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:28 pm

I shall do my best to make it not to busy but busy enough for me :P

waz

Postby waz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:37 pm

Go for it my son!! That is a great layout that will keep you busy for many a year and that's how it should be. You should never get fedup with the same thing, there will be so much going on. I envy you. When the baby arrives (congratulations) you will still make some time to do a little. That way it becomes a long term project to last for years.

Well done and keep at it but there is no rush. Enjoy your work.

Best Regards

Bill.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”