My dads N gauge layout!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ste234

Re: My dads N gauge layout!

Postby ste234 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:23 pm

smallman28 wrote:Still need to decide what to put on the top left hand side,

How about making it look like the countryside starts there? With like, maybe a dirt track with dry stone wall? sheep? cows :lol:
Up to you,
Cheers,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:52 am

smallman28 wrote:Finally got a gasometer off ebay :D it came today in the post along with the loco that my brother ordered from Hattons.
Also got a couple of cars from my LMS,its really frustrating going there though,I want so much stuff but they just dont have it :( and waiting for post does my head in :D
Still need to decide what to put on the top left hand side,put a few of my trees on the top section as well,look quite good I think.
Cameras charging,will post some pics in a bit.

Overall view.

Couple of cars.

Gasometer.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Couple more buildings :D
Two of the Scenecraft factory ones.

Made the little wall at the end out of a small piece of 3mm MDF.

Need to get some little "bits" now.
Got some oil drums to come off ebay,Bachmann are also bringing out a bike shed (at some point) that will go near the factory and some more vehicles of some type and people :D

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun May 17, 2009 12:48 am

I really am very impresed with this layout. In fact if you dont mind id like to have ago at the original track plan as a break from the main layout. What type of point motors have you used? also where did you get the retaining wall and how many sections do you think id need to cover about seven feet? again really impresed :)

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 am

THE CHIEF wrote:I really am very impresed with this layout. In fact if you dont mind id like to have ago at the original track plan as a break from the main layout. What type of point motors have you used? also where did you get the retaining wall and how many sections do you think id need to cover about seven feet? again really impresed :)

The point motors are Seep PM1s.
I got those ones as they have the switching facility on them that I needed for the LEDs on the control panel.
If you can though I would just use the regular version as it is a total pain trying to align the point motor so it is centred and operates the point correctly and also switches reliably.
The walling is the Peco stuff,NB41 (maybe) don't remember the exact model number,used that as it was a match to the tunnel mouths.
It comes in a pack of 4 and each piece is 127mm long if I remember correctly!
It has been painted different to the original dull grey it is supplied in.

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:16 am

This is coming on nicely. I really like the way you've created the street scene over the railway instead of at track level. I find it really difficult to think in 3 dimensions. (I should model a Dutch railway)

Keep the pics coming! :)

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm back!
Dont know exactly what happened to my old account but for some reason I wasn't able to sign in :(
I did contact the site admin but after a week or so when I never got a response I just made a new account :roll:
Quite a bit of progress has been made in the last week or so,a station has appeared along with some ballasting and another few bits and pieces :D

Some paving around the factory along with a few oil drums and some more cars.
I have also painted the grey board with a few coats of black wash to give it a much more random appearance.

This is were the remainder of the trees ended up,the grass here is a bit bright for my liking,hoping it might tone down a bit with time.

The platform is made out of a piece of 12mm MDF,maybe not quite to scale but it works.
My mate cut it out on his band saw and sanded it to shape for me as well.

Overall view showing everything that has been done.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon May 25, 2009 11:25 pm

Soooo cute :D

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Tue May 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Amazing for such a small area - well done mate!! 8)

Paul

Nevets

Postby Nevets » Tue May 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Well this had to be my second port of call after posting in the welcome section of the forum seeing as smallman28 has inspired me to build my own small n gauge layout, I think what you've managed to fit in such a small space really is amazing.
There is something so nice about these layouts, they are like a bonsai version of a model railway :lol: I love it :D :D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat May 30, 2009 2:07 pm

This is a splendid example of how you can make a really terrific layout in such a very small space. I think the key to this is that you haven't tried to cram too much in and, as a result, it looks that much more realistic 8) I like that you have enough room to do a bit of shunting and have another train serving the station even though you have so little space.

Should you ever chose to, I wondered if you might consider adding a further inch or two to the back (off-scene) of the board. I only ask because if you wanted to, you could add an off-scene siding along the back of the layout so you could run the passenger services on the loop and run the freight from the sidings off scene, thus you would have, effectively, an end-to-end trip-freight layout and circuitous layout all-in-one! I did this diagram to explain what I mean. I also added a spur so you can change engines of the freight trains 'off-scene':

Two layouts incorporated into one small layout! Now that would be truly impressive ;) I realise that it's a bit late what with having done a load of scenery now (bit late with my inspiration sadly, lol!) but if you find yourself remodelling it at anystage, it's a fairly easy addition to make but it would vastly increase the operating potential. Hell, it would do well at an exhibition, where I am always impressed at how much people can fit into 'mini'-layouts.

Seriously excellent stuff so far mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah I could do that,the track at the back is only glued and it wouldn't take much to pull it up,but I dont think I will :D
The point would have to be manual which I dont really want,I could fit a point motor but there is very little easy space in the control box for the wiring and whilst it is a great idea it is going backwards a bit as I only have about 4 weeks which consists of a couple of weekends and a few evenings before it has to be finished :shock:

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

i'm sure you are using the same account now when you started the thread. Well done on your layout, i guess it's nearly finished. :oops: oh i just remembered, a layout can never be finished when you think it's finished. :lol:

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Thunderbird

Postby Thunderbird » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:36 am

I love the little street scene it just fits so well. one thing that I would be a little worried about if I was an N gauge sized person would be getting to my N gauge horses to feed them etc, crossing those dangerous railway lines.

only joking, it look really great think your dad is going to love it.
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:43 am

Thunderbird wrote:I love the little street scene it just fits so well. one thing that I would be a little worried about if I was an N gauge sized person would be getting to my N gauge horses to feed them etc, crossing those dangerous railway lines.

only joking, it look really great think your dad is going to love it.

or you can put in an N gauge level crossing so the N gauge man can feed his N gauge horses :lol:
i guess it does need n gauge people.

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”