first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mark22c

Re: first layout

Postby mark22c » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:26 pm

allmost finished painting
Attachments
stationpaintedrear.JPG
stationpaintedrear.JPG (48.15 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
stationpaintedbasicfrt.JPG
stationpaintedbasicfrt.JPG (42.98 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:25 pm

That is lovely ! I must have a go at using plasticard instead of card one day.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:07 pm

thankyou,
those card kits are OK i just prefer the extra detail of the plastic kits. a little more expensive and harder to make but worth it i think.
i've done a little more painting/weathering with the station today, still not quite finished... allmost there so far im really pleased with it :D
i feel a little more confident to tackel a semi scratch build now and will be starting on a station foot bridge next... i will start with the scenery soon but need to get the station and footbridge made first
Attachments
almost done2.JPG
almost done2.JPG (47.59 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
almost done1.JPG
almost done1.JPG (49.02 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 pm

think its just about done :D
just need a station name plate and a few other small bits added... and a platform to sit on!
Attachments
shed.JPG
shed.JPG (56.05 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
completestation2.JPG
completestation2.JPG (55.32 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
completestation1.JPG
completestation1.JPG (57.65 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
complete stationbandw.JPG
complete stationbandw.JPG (35.9 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
blacknwhitestation.JPG
blacknwhitestation.JPG (49.45 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 pm

those kits look amazing, so realistic, it's making me think about replacing my station buildings.

cheers
Darren

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:56 pm

apologies for posting so many pics of the station... but i was pleased how well it turned out, a great little kit! any how i just had my mobile phone upgraded and it has a much better camera and can get in a little closer, the old one struggled a bit with the close ups but was all i had.
Attachments
seven.JPG
seven.JPG (59.15 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
three.JPG
three.JPG (64.62 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
two.JPG
two.JPG (58.82 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
one.JPG
one.JPG (55.11 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Last edited by mark22c on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi Mark,

Those buildings look fantastic, When you say "a bit harder to build" how much is a bit?

I'm a total modelling newbie but have built a metcalfe kit with no problems, plastic scares me due to bad Airfix experiences when i was a kid! They never seemed to fit together properly when i made them :oops:

I am considering trying an engine shed first, do they come with advice on painting or did you make that up/getadvice from elswhere (colours to use etc) and did you airbrush them or just brush paint?

Is there much difference between the "scenic" range and the "craftsman" range?

Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition but they have really caught my eye.

Excellent work, look forward to seeing the layout progress... :D

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:39 pm

hi graeme
the single engine shed would make a good intro to these kits. it took me a few weeks to pluck up the courage to start it but once i got going with it it wasnt as bad as i thought and took me about 8 hours to build. the main hassle is cutting out the main forms from the sheet material using the plans provided, its best to get them all cut out and ready first and get it over and done with i think, if you mess one or two up theres sometimes enough spare to make another part or you can buy spare sheet material in packs of 5 for about £2.70.
the station took a little longer at around 15 hours and it got a little teadious cutting out all the parts from the sheets provided but the end result is worth the effort.
if you can manage a card kit you should be ok with a plastic one. your only really swapping a scalpel for a razor saw and PVA/UHU for poly cemment. the plastic is easy to cut and file.
painting was done with brushes, matt black undercoat followed with dry brushed colour over until it looks right finishing with a light drybrushed white coat to give a little contrast with the black under coat allowed to show in the cracks/crevesses.
a few picks showing tools needed and what you get to work with in the kits including plans. the kits come with a handy booklet that explains working with the plastic and gives helpfull tips with what to use ect. try something simple and give one a go the single engine shed would ease you into it... before you know it you'll be scratch building your own kits :D
Attachments
trainandstationsmall.JPG
end result... nearly
trainandstationsmall.JPG (62.29 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
sprews and sheet.JPG
a few left over bits and spare sheet bought seperately
sprews and sheet.JPG (52.49 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
sheetandplan.JPG
mark out the sheet with a steel rule and compass useing plans and cut out. safer to cut oversize and sand/file down to fit
sheetandplan.JPG (62.92 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
tools.JPG
tools needed, tool on the drill bit box is a pin vice for hand drilling with fine drill bits
tools.JPG (70.05 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks for that Mark :D

Those plans do look a bit scary, but I guess nothing ventured...

Glad you mentioned tools, never occured to me that i'd need all that stuff, i feel a shopping spree coming on! :D :D

Many thanks

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:49 pm

just picked this up second hand but in new condition from my local shop for £50 :D has a problem with pipe work fowling the rear bogie though and a bit of pipe work was loose in the box and i have no idea where it came from? you can see the broken bit of pipe on the ground. has anyone else got one of these and could tell me where it goes please?
Attachments
southernspamcan.JPG
21C155 battle of britain class
southernspamcan.JPG (52.09 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
brokenpipe.JPG
you can see the mystery part lying on the ground next to the track?
brokenpipe.JPG (65.03 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
my loco's.JPG
thats four i have now... getting the bug i think
my loco's.JPG (61.93 KiB) Viewed 1788 times

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:19 pm

i had a look last night to see if the problem of pipework fowling the rear bogie could be fixed but was too tired to do anything about it. i did find out where the loose bit of pipe came from after spending a bit of time googling. anyway i had a look at it this morning after sleeping on it and could see what the problem was, the brass hanger was bent in and fittid badly causing the pipework to push up against the bogie when cornering. using a dremmel tool i managed to grind off the plastic rivit and remove and straighten it and re attatch the broken off section of pipe and now she runs fine :D
Attachments
benthanger.JPG
i dont know if you can see it in this pic but the pipe work is bent in quite a bit
benthanger.JPG (60.01 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
hangerremoved.JPG
hanger removed and straightened
hangerremoved.JPG (55.55 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
hangerfixed.JPG
repositioned hanger now straight and broken bit of pipe reattatched
hangerfixed.JPG (57.96 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
readytoroll.JPG
ready to rock and roll and good as new!
readytoroll.JPG (49.22 KiB) Viewed 1710 times

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:59 pm

managed to lower the bodywork of the engine to line up with the tender (it was about 2mm to high as can be seen in the pic above) by changing to location of the rear lug holes which after many hours investigating seemed to be the simplest way to do it.
changed the clip in plastic coal in the hopper as well which was just a case of popping the original out with a screwdriver and filling the newly exposed hopper with scenic coal and fixing. will add the detail parts later but really must start on some scenery. i've kind of been putting it off as i've never really done it before
Attachments
lowered bodywork.JPG
lowered bodywork.JPG (45.11 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
adjusted holes.JPG
adjusted holes.JPG (50.49 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
tendercoal.JPG
tendercoal.JPG (58.69 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 pm

looking good, i like the Battle of britain class and what a bargin.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Is that an Ocean wagon I see in the background? And a Flying Scotsman? A kindred spirit! I like both of these!

The wagon fetish is, I grant you, somewhat unconventional, but nevertheless... well, see for yourself:

Silliness aside, you've done an excellent job on that BoB. I've never had the courage to do the kind of major corrective surgery that a few of my locos could do with, so hats off to the bravery you demonstrated!

Cheers,
Gavin

mark22c

Postby mark22c » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:22 pm

hi Gavin,
dont know if its bravery lol... more like a case of OCD! those big yellow strips didnt help and it had to be fixed, sort of do or die mentality.
the flying scottsman is the railroad version and was a present from my partner. runs very nice but lacks detail, no windows, line work and other refinments. i had a go puting windows in the side and fitting an engineer and fireman but it still looks plain, the teak coaches that came with it are railroad as well and rather plain... but run nice.
the old ocean wagon lol thats been kicking around for a while, its the only one i have and is a bit bashed up with missig/broken buffers and worn out wheels. i use it to check the rail for bumps and errant bits off ballast stuck to the inside of rails after ballasting was a handy caddie for pins as well when laying the track.
nice layout by the way gavin.

cheers mark

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”