Andrew's garage layout - Hookstoke Junction

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mattmay05

Re: hobby boys layout - Hookstoke Junction

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:34 am

yes its a good plan to get all the motors and track down, then ballast before any scenery is applied, cause it just goes everywhere.

If you have any grass on your layout, i recomend Hanging basket liner its very cheap and i think you can get more out of it, you can pick them up in various sizes, to what you can afford so its very handy and looks good!

keep up the good work!

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:40 pm

just a small update.
The pocket money problem should end in a week (yay!!!!) :D :D
And i've decided to make my own tunnel portals as 1) they are expensive (£10!!!!) and 2) They don't do the right size.
My tunnel will be 3 tracks and i need to make tunnel portals. What is the best material to make them with??

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Bit of wood i would say, cut what you want, use the brick pattern from this website, and use some card for the stones on the top.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:23 pm

mattmay05 wrote:Bit of wood i would say, cut what you want, use the brick pattern from this website, and use some card for the stones on the top.

could i use plastic sheeting? Also, i think Doctor Who may come when the tunnel is finished :D

Hobby Boy
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:05 pm

hi all.

i was going to buy a goods shed in modelzone (in basingstoke) this weekend but because of an accident with the car (my dad reversed into a branch and the back window broke with me next to it :x ) i couldn't get one :( :cry: . The window would be fixed tommorow but i may be able to go on the train to basingstoke (tommorow) to get it.

Hobby Boy

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:20 pm

hobby boy wrote:could i use plastic sheeting? Also, i think Doctor Who may come when the tunnel is finished :D

Hobby Boy

Aha, is Dr Who arriving in the Skaledale police box?

Also, for tunnel entrance type things, take a look at Andrew's thread (Andrew's Layout, I think is the title. Alternatively search for GROTLAND or Leith Baltic). Set aside an hour and read your way through it. It's excellent, really superb. Also, he has a discussion on one of his pages about scratch-building tunnel entrances.
Of course, if you don't want to go down that route, you could stagger the tunnel entrances so that instead of needing a three-track mouth you could use a single and a double. Javis make the ones I used on both Starlingford and Marlbrook. They're not that expensive - certainly, they're considerably cheaper than the Skaledale versions. And, of course, Ratio (and possibly Wills?) make thin plastic ones that are easy to cut up and modify - although if you're thinking you'll need a lot of modification, the Metcalfe ones are cardboard and therefore easiest of all to cut up...

Hope this helps,
Gavin.

PS Just out of curiousity (and I know I should know better than to ask the question, but I just can't help myself), why are you so eternally fascinated with point motors? What is so exciting about them? (In an effort to blow your mind, I will now tell you that Starlingford has something like 22 sets of points, with no motors at all!) :D

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:16 pm

well i like having point motors. It makes me feel i'm in the signal box with the hornby type switches. :D I don't have a CDU though but should i get one?

Hobby Boy

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:I will now tell you that Starlingford has something like 22 sets of points, with no motors at all! :D

I am not the best person to ask when it comes to determining point-motor-related needs.. :?

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:PS Just out of curiousity (and I know I should know better than to ask the question, but I just can't help myself), why are you so eternally fascinated with point motors? What is so exciting about them? (In an effort to blow your mind, I will now tell you that Starlingford has something like 22 sets of points, with no motors at all!) :D

I am sorry to disagree... my layout has 18 points on it, all of them electrically operated. It makes operation a lot easier than going round have to flick them all yourself and I will definitely say that it is worth it in the long run!

If you would like to have a look at my thread I have posted lots of pictures on how to fit them:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9260&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90#p181149

And also one on my control panel:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9260&p=222556#p222556

I hope this is of inspiration to you, you seem to have got the knack of fitting the points motors already though! :)

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Update Time!!!!!
Nothing has been going on this last month until today
I was given this box of railway products to use on my model railway layout and this includes card kits, airfix model railway plastic building kits, on on switches, the old type of the 612 + 613 points, track and a new train!!!!!
I'm just setting it up at the moment and in the next few weeks i'll try and build them (i have still got an hms victory to finish!!!! :shock: ) when i'm finished i'll put a picture of what it will look like. After this, i'll try to do a tunnel.
Pictures of the new things coming soon!!!

Hobby Boy

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi
Here are the new buildings i just put in yesterday. The station has a hornby platform and a kit building.
Enjoy!

Full Station

Station Building

Engine and Goods Shed

Hobby Boy

hobby boy

Re: hobby boy's garage layout - Hookstoke Junction

Postby hobby boy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:03 am

Has anyone got any comments about this layout?
Yesterday i tried that new train and found out it's a tri-ang R150, i had to oil it and now it works well :D So thats why i was given some tri-ang track as well.

Hobby Boy

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:46 pm

hobby boy wrote:Has anyone got any comments about this layout?

Obviously not!

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:16 pm

UPDATE
I have now finished the footbridge and soon going to start making the houses! Also i am hoping to install another point motor.

Hobby Boy

Teleman

Postby Teleman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:51 pm

8) how about some more pictures I would like to see the footbridge
If i ever bought an electric car , can i fit a sound chip ? ,,, to make it sound like a class 47 :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”