Hamsend. the end. or is it the begenning?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Hammy

Re: End of the line. update pg4!

Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:I really like the crowded platforms... Definately gives a good sense of atmosphere.

Also weathering is great. Any plans to have a crack on your freight stock and/or locos ?

Gareth

mmmm i really want too but i dont want to ruin them!!!
id like to get an airbrush eventually so i think ill save my stock for then!!!

Geoff, thanks for the ballast advice,

Woodlands scenics.... i have been looking in that direction, is the size of the ballast to scale?

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Get an airbrush! You wont regret it ! I had one last xmas and it didnt take long to get the hang of it... its seriously addictive !

If you do get one... you'll save lots of money in the long run if you get an air compressor... probably about £80... but the cans of air dont last 5 minutes and they can be upto £8 a throw.

But seriously, your weathering on the buildings looks fantastic, it wont hurt to have a go at some wagons! I hardly think you'd ruin them.... and after all.... ruining them is the effect your going for !! :D

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:20 pm

right, ive done one!!

i had a go at weathering one of my scrap wagons, all went well apart from the rust patches. they just dont cut it :cry:
the dark rust colour is more like ews maroon?! i think powders will have to go on my every increasing shopping list.

also finished and fitted a driver to my dmu but after spending hours painting him, he's hardly visable!!!!

small bit of detailing work to both the 37 and 33

doesnt the shunter look far too shiny!!!

obligatory night time shot

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Hammy,

Back to the message I lost on Saturday when the connection failed.

Your scrap wagon looks fine in the photograph, it may look slightly different viewed by eye. I certainly don't think you need to re-paint. The next one will look different again which is exactly what you want ...... looking roughly similar, but different enough to have their own character.
I also love the small cameo scenes you portray - Just waiting for that ballast to go down !!

Am I seeing things or have you taken the dirty wall weathering right up the factory wall now ?

Keep up the good work.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:26 am

i dug out my only train set which i put away when my trackmat went, but as i need more traction on my layout i thought id put up with the fact that its not the most detailed version in the world.

so heres my first attempt at weathering an engine, its not as good as i thought it mightve looked but one has to start somewhere!
whilst stripped down i gave it a good service and bu**er me it runs superbly at slow speeds which is just what i wanted!! i aslo gave a couple of wagons a thin coating of grime.

theres also a little video. please excuse the few mistakes, more practice needed when video is concerned as its not as forgiving as plain photo's!!!!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 am

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Hammy,

Back to the message I lost on Saturday when the connection failed.

Your scrap wagon looks fine in the photograph, it may look slightly different viewed by eye. I certainly don't think you need to re-paint. The next one will look different again which is exactly what you want ...... looking roughly similar, but different enough to have their own character.
I also love the small cameo scenes you portray - Just waiting for that ballast to go down !!

Am I seeing things or have you taken the dirty wall weathering right up the factory wall now ?

Keep up the good work.

Geoff T.

hi Geoff,

no your not seeing things, i did extend the filth up to the eves!

as for the ballasting, i cant wait to get it done so i can get on with other things but i need to get point motors first as its still hand of god operated!!

DrStroganoff

Re: End of the line. more pics p5 and a short vid

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:09 am

Scrap wagon looks great... as Dad-1 said, the next one will look slightly different again, and thats what you want really! good stuff.

Theres an interesting article on doing rust patches on wagons in this months Hornby magazine.... a method they say is used by military modellers, but I hadnt heard of it ... this method involved using salt mixed with water. I'll go into detail if you want... but its worth picking up the magazine if you havent.. I'm gonna have a crack at it I think!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi Hammy,

Yes I'd agree that the loco's weathering leaves something to be desired ...... what paint did you use ? By that I mean acrylic or enamel. What you have is a distinct line where your brush laid the paint. With Enamel I wait until a coat like you have on that 47 is becoming quite sticky, to the point of being well on the way to being dry. Then using a touch of white spirit on a clean brush tease the edge, regularly washing out the brush and taking most of the spirit out on a rag/kitchen roll before you work the edge. That way you can fade the painted sections hard edge.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:23 pm

hi

the paint im using is watered down railmatch acrylic, Frame dirt and sleeper grime with a little brake dust on the bogies.

one thing i will say is the colour differences in the sleeper grime and frame dirt is minimal to say the least!

i stripped all the paint off for a second attempt, the underframe im happy with the roof im happy with (just need some black for exhaust stains) but the body is naff!

i still cant get the paint to blend in without the difinative line. it looks too thick and splodged even though its watered down layers!

ive been looking at pictures of a dirty 47 trying to recreate its thousands of miles work, not just slapping paint over which it looks like!!

so night 3 im back to this

just gotta finish removing the dodgy paint on the yellow front panel!

Geoff, i did try waiting until the paint was almost dry then trying to fade out with water as per your method but once the acrylic was almost dry and i added water it pulled great chunks of paint off, hence i tryed watered down layers.

any more ideas that might help? (apart from an airbrush !)

hammy

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Hammy,

I can't help with Acrylics as I don't use them.

Have a look at some of my wagon weathering in the last postings to Two Short Planks - these were done with Humbrol enamels 29 Dark Earth, 113 Rust, mixed in with a quantity of 49 Matt Clear Varnish. The coal wagons you can't see, but they were again Matt Clear Varnish with 33 Matt Black, the black was highly diluted with the varnish and a touch of additional white spirit thinners.

Geoff T.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:48 pm

ive managed to have a good old play tonight and got the camera out for a bit :

the concrete pillars are rather overbearing on the platform so im going to make some different ones to sit between the tracks

trouble at rush hour!!!

:D

Merv

Postby Merv » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:00 am

Hi
I like the use of photo back scenes, especially inside the warehouse, It works very well. This is a nice little layout and shows that small scenes can work really well.

Merv
Currently Armchair Modelling

Not at all Fluffy

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Hammy,

Just waiting for that ballast to go down !!

Geoff T.

me too!

but i need to by the point motors first, well actually i need to go on a shopping spree for loads of bits!

once the ballasts down i can crack on with other things!!!! like grasses etc ive got loads left from my other layout and thats quite a fun bit for me!!

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:24 am

Hammy wrote:Image

You use the same SuperQuick sheets on your platforms that I do. Cool. I found mine in a market, quite by accident.

"Mind the gap" doesn't quite cut it here. Passengers stumbling from the platform won't have to worry about trains, at least. (-:

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:53 am

hammy,

This new project is really showing all the lessons and skills you learned on you trackmat setup. Without wanting to demean your earlier efforts (after all I've only been modelling a very short time) this layout looks much neater, your attention to detail is much better and it shows in the photos.

Your weathering on the locos and stock is really good - the rust patches on the wagon looks fine to me and the end effect you achieved on that blue diesel was well worth all the experimenting to get it right. It looks like a time served engine that's had the paintwork kept relatively clean, I'm going to try the technique on our 4MT so cheers for the inspiration!

kind regards

Steve

as I mentioned to Dad-1 the other day theres a site with diesel sound effects http://www.brdw.co.uk/main.html that might be handy, background sounds on an mp3 player maybe or effects for your future videos.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”