Hamsend. the end. or is it the begenning?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Hammy

Hamsend. the end. or is it the begenning?

Postby Hammy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:58 pm

ive started work on a new project which is just a small 5' x 6" shunting layout, based on 'Riverside yard' but with a run around loop.
if anyone can see possible problems feel free to let me know.

the view is from a road bridge looking down toward the 'end of the line' (central track being the branch line to the end, left siding will be half covered with a warehouse/workshop for the wagons to be shunted into. the right siding is possibly another siding for the factory/warehouse with road access, and the bottom right is the headshunt/ fuelling point.

Image[*]
Last edited by Hammy on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 22 times in total.

ceejaydee

Re: End of the line. shunting plank

Postby ceejaydee » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Good start Hammy, will it be dc or dcc as originally mentioned?
Regards
Christopher D.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Interesting little track layout. Is the run around loop a bit short though? do the 2 closest crossover points need to be moved a little bit this way, so there is room for the stock you are running round with just enough for your longest loco/shunter on this end bit of track on the left?

Cheers
Michael

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am

That run-around is the same as the one on my plan. It's long enough for three mineral wagons, a ferry van with a brake van, or a mark 1 coach.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:47 pm

hi,

ive extended the run around to allow for my largest engine a class 47 and cut roughly the cork underlay and marked out for the holes to the points motors.

plan was to wire the boards this weekend,, but after my solder disappearing off the face of the planet it didnt get off to a good start.

turns out ive got electrofrog points so im having short circuits especially when i wired the head shunt,

ive asked for advice in the electronics section if anyone can shed some light on my dilemma.

ceejaydee wrote:Good start Hammy, will it be dc or dcc as originally mentioned?

at the moment im sticking with dc, as i have a spare hornby controller from a train set, and current fund situations cant allow the upgrade, but i plan to further down the track.

looks very confusing though so more research into wiring etc is definatly required!!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:55 am

hi,

End of the line is all wired now, with isolating sections. works perfectly at slow speeds, (thanks to flashbang for the help!)

Also the cork underlay has been cut to shape, with holes drilled in the baseboard ready for the point motors, just got to wait for a good payday before i can buy them.

ive fitted back boards an thrown a bit of paint at them just to get rid of the wood look! (eventually it will be covered in a backscene of warehouses etc)

finally ive started my first scratch built building, the half relief warehouse/workshop at the back but after seeing it in situ i think im going to make it twice the size so it covers all the track up to the end of the backboard.

ive ordered some wills brick and corrugated iron sheets, never used them before so not sure how it will turn out!!!

heres a couple of pics

overall shot

looking down the track from under the (what will be) the road over brigde

Last edited by Hammy on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:58 am

i see your using electro frog points, they are quite hard to wire as can cause short circuits easily
Last edited by hobby boy on Wed May 13, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:01 am

huh?!? that doesnt make sense?

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:18 am

Nice job, I like the half relief engine shed, very good idea that.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:09 pm

i spent a bit of time over the weekend working and 'testing' on the end of the line.

My plan was to make the engine shed/warehouse longer to fill up the rear of the base board, but as the left over 3mm mdf was running low i didnt have enough to make another same size building so i had a rethink.

i thought id start again but with card board instead as it will give a few mm more clearance,

so what am i to do with the spare building?

it fits right in a corner which i was worrying about how to maximise the space with the scenic break being an over road.

talking of the bridge idea, that has gone, as it seems a bit to common,

so, (you still reading?)

what do they say? a picture speaks a thousand words?

a lot easier to understand this:

excuse the blue tape t'was only thing to hand to hold the thin card whilst glue dried the gap in the middle is goin to be a raised bit, extra roof type ventilation bit, im planning on making the required joist/RSJ's in the roof with some custom lights that ive got planned.

not sure how im going to "Fill the gap" between the two warehouses any ideas?

plans now laid for the fiddle yard :D with a track leading through the warehouse

i wanted the 'end of the line' too come to an end in an industrial estate and i think that the two warehouses at the end really work

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:46 pm

What about some pipework between the 2 buildings. I've seen it done somewhere before on a mico layout. Looked very effective

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:22 pm

thinking bout pipes ive got some spare from the fuelling kit.
good thinking

also should i raise the level of the road at the front to the same hight as the track?

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:40 am

hi,
ive continued building the warehouses with wills building materials.

this is the first time ive used them, im planning on covering the joints with weathering of some sort, let me know what you think.

ive made a serious error with one of them though, so ill have to take it apart to rectify it!

the roof isnt finished as im in two minds weather to use the same cladding or corrugated plastic roofing :roll:

the edge of this building will be painted to match the edge of the layout (to give the impression the building carries on towards the viewer)

Hammy

(just been looking back through my pics, man i need some new rolling stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:04 am

Hammy wrote:also should i raise the level of the road at the front to the same hight as the track?

IMO, no :mrgreen:

I think it'd look too flat if you did, leaving the road slightly lower will give a better sense of the track being 'built up' :wink:

Excellent pics by the way, loving those detailed Artics 8)

Paul

Hammy

Re: End of the line. new pics!

Postby Hammy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 am

thanks

the cabs are packed with paperwork, ive got a driver in my paint box waiting to be finished as well. :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”