Lordsbridge MK3 a new beginning

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bizzyd6405

Re: Lordsbridge

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:24 pm

trainsandco wrote:wow Darren, that weathering really does improve them!! :shock:

well done!!!

Ben

cheers Ben i think they look a million times better after being weathered.

moving onto rolling stock i have been trying to work out a sort of list as for which loco's i'm interested in and it seems to be getting longer by the day i currently have my eye on a Vi Trains Class 47 in Intercity Swallow livery which is only £52 on hattons at the mo anyone got one of these if so are they any good? as i have a couple of hornby mk3's in intercity which are used on my HST but i thought they would look good behind it, i'm also tempted to get the new hornby intercity DVT when they are released thou i'm pretty sure they where never used with a class 47 but i think it would look rather good.

what you guys think?

cheers

Darren

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 am

Excellent weathering Darren. I like the bargain prices of Hornby's railroad wagons but they do look a bit 'toy' like compared to their umm... expensive ones! Seeing your results I might have a go at it. (more for the shopping list :? :| )

As for the DVT, Wrexham and Shropshire use one with a 67 so I don't see any reason why you can't have one with a 47 at t'other end?

:)

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:39 pm

ChrisWV10 wrote:Excellent weathering Darren. I like the bargain prices of Hornby's railroad wagons but they do look a bit 'toy' like compared to their umm... expensive ones! Seeing your results I might have a go at it. (more for the shopping list :? :| )

As for the DVT, Wrexham and Shropshire use one with a 67 so I don't see any reason why you can't have one with a 47 at t'other end?

:)

yeah go for the railroad ones they aren't too bad plus i found i'd rather pratice my weathering on the cheaper rolling stock first, plus when my hattons order arrives i'll have another two which will take the rake up to five and it will look good behind the new loco thats on its way too :D

been having a play around with my old hornby railroad range class 08 "thomas 1" i got it as a test loco when i first got the train set that set off the construction of Lordsbridge but recently it has just sat in a box under the layout so i decided to try and improve it and have it fit in with the new era of late 1980's to mid 1990's i though it could be used at the civil engineers yard so here's a couple of pics of it after its first coat of paint.

was tempted to give it the dutch livery but not sure if any 08's where painted in that livery, i still need to redo the roof, get some transfers and then add a decorder but like i said it's still as work in progress.

Cheers

Darren

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Darren

Yes some 08s were painted in Dutch livery so you could repaint it into Dutch :wink:
The old hornby models are nothing compared to the bachmann product :)

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:53 pm

yeah i agree Lewis the hornby one is no where near as good as the bachmann one as you can see in the last pic i have a bachmann one in NSE and its a great little model and thanx for the tip regarding the dutch livery i might have a go this evening.

cheers

Darren

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi

The NEW hornby is far superior to the bachmann offering of which the tolling is now 10 years old!!
I cant wait for the sound 08 to come out this year as I may buy one :)

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Guys

my Hattons order arrived today so i'm proud to introduce the newest member of the Lordsbridge loco fleet and it is a Vi Trains
Class 37 in Railfreight Petroleum sub-sector livery and a bargin as well at £39.

first impressions are good thou there is a lot of extra detail that need to be added something i'll probably do tomorrow when i have some time overal thou i'm pleased with it it looks stunning :D and it's perfect to pull my newly formed oil train.

more pics tomorrow.

cheers

Darren

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:32 pm

bizzyd6405 wrote:Hi Gavin the figures are from the bachmann scenecraft i have used three set's on the station they are
1. station passengers sitting
2. station passengers standing
3.Businessmen

i think the scenecraft are probably the best 00 gauge figures i've found definatley much better then the rubbish hornby ones.

also i have spent the day weathering some more rolling stock mainly my hornby shell oil tankers, not the best model in the world but on hattons there only £3.50 so i can make a decent rake of them ratherly cheaply so i like them :lol:
...Darren

Thanks for the info, Darren, I may have to invest in some!

As far as the Railroad wagons are concerned... I love the Railroad NE vans, since they provide me with a proper LNER freight rake for very cheap indeed (it seems we are of one mind concerning the value of these things!), but one thing I have found that improves them immeasurably is replacing the horrible plastic wheels they come with with metal Hornby replacements. As a result, my 13-van rake is now one of the free-est -running groupings I have, and it's less likely to dirty up my tracks! A ten-axle pack of wheels costs about the same as one Railroad wagon, and I would urge you to make the replacement. You won't believe how much of a difference to the running it makes.

Regards,
Gavin

(Love the 37, btw!)

trainsandco

Re: Lordsbridge- welcomes a new arrival

Postby trainsandco » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm

that 37 looks lovely and beautiful but it doesn't fit in with those oil wagons......its too clean!!!!! :lol: :lol: I'm sure you'll make it fit it very well when ever that is ;) any how I am loving that '37' I would love a Class 37/0 spilt head in BR green, small warning panels and weathered.....ooooo.......lurvelyyy!!! oh well for the time being I will have to watch with envy your 37 ;) ;)

Keep up the good work :)

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:12 pm

yeah i will need to pluck up the courage to have a go at weathering it at some point.

i have installed the decoder to the class 37 and have been running it in and i have to say i'm rather impressed with it, it runs good and looks good so i'm rather impressed with my bargin and before i got it i wasn't a fan of the class 37 but i think i'm having my head turned now :D so seen as i'm impressed with the Vitrains loco i see that hattons have a class 47 in intercity livery for £52 so i'm tempted to get it anyone got one are they any good and i'm thinking of adding a hornby class 153 in regional railways livery into my loco roster

here's a few pictures from todays running session.

Class 37 on a oil train passes the class 73 in the civil engineers siding while it collects it's grampus wagons to be transfered to Hoo junction.
The class 37 comes through Lordsbridge station as a class 108 dmu from Strood pulls into the station to collect passengers
The class 37 coming under Lordsbridges roadbridge

Also i'm not totally happy with the TMD at the moment so i'm going to remove the security fencing and theoffice and just leave the shed and fueling point then see what i can do, i think i might put some oil storage tank in there, as well as having a freshen up of Lordsbridge high street i'm thinking of replacing on of the cottages with a shop.

so lots to keep me busy

Cheers

Darren

P.S.
planning is under way for Lordsbridge first birthday :D

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:29 pm

who are those extra big passengers on the far right of the 2nd photograph?
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:23 am

Hi Darren

You are gathering a very nice fleet of loco's, love that 37 8) it blends in so well at Lordsbridge it looks at home, and what a great price you paid for it :D

Keep up the good work and updates

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:05 pm

trainsandco wrote:who are those extra big passengers on the far right of the 2nd photograph?

those passengers are my other half and her brother, how both have no interest in trains lol

NSE DAZ wrote:Hi Darren

You are gathering a very nice fleet of loco's, love that 37 8) it blends in so well at Lordsbridge it looks at home, and what a great price you paid for it :D

Keep up the good work and updates

Darren NSE DAZ

Thank you Darren, yeah Lordsbridge is starting to gain a decent fleet of loco's i still have a couple more on my wish lis including

1. Hornby Networker in NSE livery
2. A class 47 in intercity livery, i have a choice between vitrains and bachmann
3. Hornby DVT in intercity livery
4. Hornby 4 Vep

so looks like it may be an expensive few months ahead lol, i've also been thinking about getting the bachmann BR Mk1 GUV vans in Rail Express Systems
which can be seen on hattons here

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21984

there cheap and i'm thinking about have ago at converting one of them into a Propelling Control Vehicle, which can be seen here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/NAA_94335_at_Plymouth.JPG
looks like it should be possible.

cheers

Darren

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Some really nice locos you have there!

Speshully liking the 37 and the 08s!

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
bizzyd6405 wrote:
Thanks for the info, Darren, I may have to invest in some!

As far as the Railroad wagons are concerned... I love the Railroad NE vans, since they provide me with a proper LNER freight rake for very cheap indeed (it seems we are of one mind concerning the value of these things!), but one thing I have found that improves them immeasurably is replacing the horrible plastic wheels they come with with metal Hornby replacements. As a result, my 13-van rake is now one of the free-est -running groupings I have, and it's less likely to dirty up my tracks! A ten-axle pack of wheels costs about the same as one Railroad wagon, and I would urge you to make the replacement. You won't believe how much of a difference to the running it makes.

Regards,
Gavin

(Love the 37, btw!)

Thanx for the advice Gavin i seemed to missed your post before sorry :oops: anyway i'm going to order the replacement wheels in the next week so i'll let you know how it goes.
As for the class 37 i think i might have become a bit of a fan so much so i might add another one to my loco fleet at some point this year maybe the vitrain regional railway one as its cheap on hattons at the mo.

cheers

Darren

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”