NSE southern layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Grayum

NSE southern layout

Postby Grayum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Hey all,

Maybe abit early to start my post as I am not actually starting building until the start of April, but I am planning a OO layout based in the early 90's on NSE. It is set in the southern region (3rd rail) in a London suburb. Just thought I might start my thread incase anyone was interested or had any tips before I start work.

Over the last 6 months I have decided to start my OO collection again (ditching alot of old Lima, Hornby and Bachamann models I have collected over the years, will probably ebay most off during the summer). So far I have built up a good rake of Engineers wagons (Hornby Clams, Rudds, Topes and the odd Seacow) and brought a Hornby class 31 (BR blue 31111), Heljan Crompton (33201 Dutch) and a Kerlow Thumper in NSE.
Bit about me...Previously I have had 2 layouts (now both dismantelled) so I would say I am an 'intermediate' modeller. My ideal aim is to create an exhibition layout; my baseboard design reflects this.. modular baseboards on legs meauring 1x0.5 meters which can be fixed together, although am along way off from even thinking about exhibiting yet! Anyway enough about me and back to the layout. Over last 2 years I have been drawing plans and i think I have (finaly) come up with the final :)
I have atempted to draw the layout plan in paint..
http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bestp.jpg

Thanks for reading :D
Last edited by Grayum on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SouthernBoy

Re: New finescale NSE southern layout

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Grayum wrote: ... southern region (3rd rail) in a London suburb. Just thought I might start my thread incase anyone was interested or had any tips before I start work ...

I'm interested in anything suburban, London, and third rail, although I model in N gauge :)
Out of curiosity what do you mean by finescale 00? Handmade track?

Your plan looks nice. Do the tracks go to a fiddle yard on left ?

Grayum

Postby Grayum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Hey,
Thanks, by fine scale I mean using Peco code 75 and only using fine detailed models, nothing triang standard :lol:
I haven't decided yet about what will go either end, probably a small fiddle yard just to return the trains to and fro.

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Why not before you jump into peco finescale track try your hand at a SMP point kit http://www.smpscaleway.com their about a fiver & good fun to make. I built one with little to no knowledge of point building & made a really good effort & if you manage to build a point kit then go for SMP track it makes a finescale model look the part with proper spaced track & not giving it that toy look. I would never use peco again apart from fiddle yards etc it is worth a try before you splash out on peco points. The thing with SMP points is that their cheap & cost effective although point motors for hand made points can cost a bit more. The plan of the layout looks really good & with the stock you have mentioned should make for a good looking layout.
Looking forward to seeing it being built.

Simon.

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:44 am

Yeah Peco code 75 isn't generally regarded as finescale (although I don't think there's any 100% official definition), so some people might get a bit snobby if you refer to it as that :lol: (I'm not referring to anyone here!)

Finescale is usually taken to mean the sleeper spacing is 00 rather than H0. It isn't entirely logical because 00 is a mix of 4mm and 3.5mm scales (Standard Peco track is straight H0, but the gauge of finescale is in 3.5mm scale and the sleeper spacing is 4mm scale).

I agree with Simon that a SMP point kit might be worth a try if you're prone to going for accuracy, however these do use bullhead rail rather than flatbottom, which might not fit perfectly with your model (I do think it does slightly reduce the effect of 00 gauge track looking too narrow though - every little helps!)

Also the ranges from C & L and Marcway might be worth a look.

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Marcways now own the SMP brand & they do kits for flat bottom rail which is great if you use it with exactoscale concrete fast track bases the details are fantastic. I will upload a few photos tonight of the fast track bases to show you how accurate the sleeper spacers are. Another really good idea is if you dont fancy using hand crafted points you can always use code 75 peco points with SMP or C&L flexi track or a mix of them with fast track bases to give yourself a very nice looking PW. You,ll see many of the feature layouts in the model press using this combo & it does work a treat although i am a sucker for correct trackwork & enjoy the crafting of the rails.

Simon.

Grayum

Re: New NSE southern layout - Pics

Postby Grayum » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:52 pm

A few pics of the layout progress.. Going to try and update this thread a bit more in future!

Looking down to the yet unbuilt station. 3rd rail laying is still in progress...

Need a few more...

Scalescenes freebie. There will be a backboard behind this and around the back of the layout when I get round to it.

Another shot. Its completely built out of Plasticard with all the printed stuff being glued to it on standard 80gsm paper. A coloured
laser printer was used to print the kit.

Scalescenes back relief terraced house. Once again completely built from plasticard with pinted sheets glued on. Just need to redo part the roof capping on the end as its to short! Oh and the chimney pots are still needing to be fitted

Another shot

Ready for some gardens

Shot of the back with holes for LEDs to be placed through at a later date.

Finally another shot of the Compton next the the 47

And a Video of the layout, just me rambling on (made before I built the house kit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-7vX9CT2A

Thanks for perusing :D

SouthernBoy

Re: New NSE southern layout

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Nice to see the third rail there - concrete posts/fencing look neat too.
The backboard will be good when you get round to it - currently I see very heavy snow flakes coming down :)

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:35 pm

That’s some very nice looking track-work you have there. I think its worthwhile putting in the time and effort to get ballasting looking right. The third rail, fences, weeds and concrete cable covers add another little touch of realism. Are there plans to extend the third rail to the crossover? If so I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

champion

Postby champion » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:18 am

yes top marks there and more progress shots welcome.NSE on my layout was 2nd choice as it was a nice livery but hard to get in n gauge now.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Grayum,

Another NSE themed layout 8) :D

Top marks on your progress so far looking good.

Keep up the good work and updates

Many thanks Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Grayum

Postby Grayum » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi Thanks for comments :) Yes the plan is to 3rd rail all the track (apart from the sidings) including finishing off the crossover. Been shopping today and picked up the lovely limited edition modelzone NSE BG which I've been wanting for awhile. Wish bachmann would hurry up and produce another batch of NSE mk2 TSOs, the only place that seems to sell them at the moment is antics for a silly RRP price! Also picked up garden stuff and some paint to redo the concrete loading area... shots coming soon!

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Grayum very nice another NSE themed layout.Will you be having any premier NSE power on your layout?
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Great progress on this layout.
Top Marks

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

Grayum

Postby Grayum » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:59 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Hi Grayum very nice another NSE themed layout.Will you be having any premier NSE power on your layout?
Ian

Hi, Yes I plan to get the new hornby VEP in NSE when its released, I also have a Kernow thumper on order in NSE. Im also slowly building up a Mk2 rake as well!

Finished the gardens and the 3rd rail fairys been gain :D ..will try and get some photos up this weekend :)

Just found this photo which was taken Easter 2009!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”