Springfield, 'N' 6x3 Modern Era DCC

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ste234

Springfield, 'N' 6x3 Modern Era DCC

Postby ste234 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi everyone,
As you may have already seen, i do have a small layout, but i am now making a bigger one, on a 6x3 board, the original plan for it is below, and the updated on the second page. I have now started its construction, on page 3.
I'm hoping to make it look like a mainline used to run through, with a 4 coach GNER service and a few DMU's and freight.
Its not realy set in any location im just running what i like, i have running stock form a few different areas :lol:
Any ideas/critisisms welcome :)
Thanks.
Ste. :D

Last edited by ste234 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 13 times in total.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Sprintex

Re: N gauge 6x3 layout planning

Postby Sprintex » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Looks OK but there appears to be no connection between the inner and outer loops? :wink:

Paul

ste234

Postby ste234 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:08 pm

aha, yes theres ment to be, just on the right hand corner before the station to link to the frieght/engine shed bit. woop i missed that :lol:

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:05 pm

If anyone can think of any more ideas for this, it would be greatly appreciated However i am trying to keep the number of points down, as this is being built off pocket money, and although i continue to buy loco's, i am trying to stop and buy track :lol:
Thanks,
Ste.

leopard

Postby leopard » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:16 pm

if you have a soldering iron, and are not afraid to use it, have a go at hand made points, seriously they are a lot easier than they look, even if you only do the odd one or two, and use the likes of peco for plain ones you can save some wonga, its cheaper to make and fit a motorised hand made one typically than a manual peco one, though it is close.

plus you get points where you want them so they fit correctly.

worth considering on a tight budget

ste234

Postby ste234 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks Leopard, i know i am on a tight budget but im not great with soldering irons (i made a right mess with one at school once) and im not great at handmaking stuff,
Thanks anyway,
Ste.

leopard

Postby leopard » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:39 pm

in that case def shop around for points ;-)

ste234

Postby ste234 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:48 pm

i think ebay might be my best option :P
Thanks,
Ste.

leopard

Postby leopard » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

possibly, my local model place had peco 'large' E/F points at around £13 each, can get them mail order cheaper, including postage, but I only ever got two and wanted them "now" so paid a bit more.

are you using finescale C55 or the 'normal' C80 stuff? asking since the cost is basically the same but the C55 does look better.

personally never used ebay, mostly due to paypal 'issues' in the past, but many find it fine.

you will be amazed how far cash actually goes, though it may not seem it, in N gauge

e.g. a full Class 225 rake costs maybe £90 for the loco & DVT, the coaches maybe a tenner each, so the full rake is under £200. in OO the locos are a lot cheaper, the stock a lot more.

track is about the same, but the plan you have won't be that expensive, plus build it in stages :-)

btw there is no harm in replacing points with plain track, then later lifting it to put the point in, e.g. adding the fiddle yard bits later saves a bit of cash until you actually need the space.

but for a tight budget (which I've worked to before) the most important thing is planning what you need and when, then sticking to it ;-)

ste234

Postby ste234 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks Leopard,
I will be using code 80 or the "normal" stuff, as i already have a few boxes of old code 80 flexitrack :)
Also i understand what you mean about the cost of like a HSt or similar, i have a GNER with 4 coaches and i looked at hornby OO ones to compare prices, and it was much more expensive!
Stickin to N gauge me :wink:
Cheers,
Ste.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 pm

My 2 pence on points... I bought three or four medium Code 80 points off Ebay and got a good price for them too.. But the track is older and some of the blades have risen. They work ok but if I had my time again I'd buy new ones.

All my other medium radius points were £7 each from my local (and rather large) model shop and I'm very happy with them. Worth the extra cost if you can save up for a bit longer.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 pm

I have a bit of a dillema (is that spelt right :oops: ). I want this new layout to be a modern era, but my dad wants it to be a steam era. any idea on how we could combine the two with same dimensions and similar trackplan?
Thanks,
Ste.
Last edited by ste234 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

trains!

Postby trains! » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 pm

With some miner alterations you can make it a preserved railway?
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 pm

ste234 wrote:I have a bit of a dillema (is that spelt right :oops: ).

d - i - l - e - m - m - a :wink:

Almost any layout can be either period really, the things that usually mark out the era is the rolling stock and things like vehicles and signs. Of course locos, coaches and wagons are easily swapped, but then so are cars if they're not fixed down. Careful choice of buildings and signs could easily apply to late steam or early diesel so think about it before deciding on particular items of scenery and you could both be happy :mrgreen:

Paul

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks trains!
We have thought of that idea, it is one of the possibilities, i just need to figure out how to do it,

Sprintex, that is a good idea! to have it so that the buildings match both periods.... never thought of that :lol:
Thanks,
Ste.

P.S. i just thought what about signals :lol: :P

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”