Re: Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - cessation of services

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Re: Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - Video and trees

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Mighty, Mighty, wherefore art thou, Mighty?
Yonder lies an N-class mogul
Yet thy silence means the mind doth boggle
A Southern loco for thou to ogle -
Thou sayest naught? Art thou alrighty?

Mine Kindliest Regards,
G

Garethp8873

Postby Garethp8873 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:44 pm

The scenery on this layout is certainly outstanding. This is looking more impressive as we see each new photo.

Garethp8873.
[IMG]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7691/38723965n03.jpg[/IMG]

[size=3][url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/[/url][/size]

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:30 pm

I haven't looked at this thread for a while, and remembering what the layout looked like last time I saw it all those months ago, the progress is outstanding, keep up the good work Chris. :)
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Mighty, Mighty, wherefore art thou, Mighty?
Yonder lies an N-class mogul
Yet thy silence means the mind doth boggle
A Southern loco for thou to ogle -
Thou sayest naught? Art thou alrighty?

Mine Kindliest Regards,
G

Gavin, I appreciate the effort but that is truly *awful* poetry! Still, at least the pics of your rather nice N class in southern green were good eye candy. Thanks for the kind comments as always everyone, but this thread must have been languishing on page 14 or something to be dredged up!

Unfortunately I have some news that won't exactly be welcome to everyone but it is good news in a way. About a month ago I moved house for the first time into my very own abode, which is very nice for me and my lovely girlfriend, however it does mean that any updates to this thread will be somewhat spartan in the near future. It also hasn't helped that I've had shoulder surgery as my right arm was hanging off (not literally, but it feels like it) and so I'll be unable to do stuff with it for a few months.

So, my un-named loft layout will pretty much remain as it is for a while as it's back in my parents house. The good news is that they only live a 15 min cycle ride away, but how often I'll be able to get back is another matter. I did manage to do a little bit of work to the layout since my last post, and at some point I'll update you all with tales of noch laser cut plants (a waste of money in my opinion), relaying points and failing to get a chalky path quite right.

I will ensure that it runs though as Dad quite enjoys pottering around up there! I have to say I've learnt a lot from doing this over the last couple of years. The main one is that in future I'll make sure that I have level baseboards, as my old warped ones with all their ridges and bumps made derailments a regular occurance. Also, I've come such a long way with playing around with scenery that I will quite enjoy starting again in my new home with a blank canvass and a (level) playing field!

I've already begun to plan my next layout, one that I think will take at least six months in the gestation as frankly, the house has priority and I don't have the money to afford baseboards when the guttering, insulation and carpets all need attention! However the next layout will still be based on the Southern in the 1930s and I will hopefully aim to be a bit more realistic, trying to take a real life place and re-create it as best I can. I have my eye on West Hoathly, the demolished station on the Bluebell line that had a large brickworks with its own siding, significant goods traffic with a large goods yard and one that had a fair amount of passenger traffic too. As the Sheffield Park buildings by Bachmann are identical to the ones at West Hoathly (I've checked), that should help too, with a bit of re-painting and weathering!

I'll probably start a new thread in the next couple of months showing some of the research and plans so you can all comment there, but I'll keep this one going, though I'll have to rename it as I have planning permission from the other half for another loft layout...!

I leave you with one of my favourite shots, my ex LBSCR E4 simmering in the station platform...

Keep in touch, and I promise I'll keep posting

Cheers

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Good luck in your new home Chris and hope your shoulder gets better soon!

Look forward to future posts on your inspiration and plans once you've got the house sorted out :)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:49 am

Mighty wrote:
Gavin, I appreciate the effort but that is truly *awful* poetry! Still, at least the pics of your rather nice N class in southern green were good eye candy. Thanks for the kind comments as always everyone, but this thread must have been languishing on page 14 or something to be dredged up!

...at some point I'll update you all with tales of noch laser cut plants (a waste of money in my opinion), relaying points and failing to get a chalky path quite right.

Keep in touch, and I promise I'll keep posting

Cheers

Chris

What d'you mean, 'awful', you unalphabetic illiterate Visigoth? How can you not appreciate the genius of rhyming 'mogul' with 'ogle'? :lol: :lol:

Regarding laser-cut plants - they can be good if there is some way to draw the eye to them (I used the rhubarb in my allotments), but if they're just there for background greenery I quite agree - there are other, equally effective but far cheaper ways to accomplish the same effect.

Good news on the potential for a new loft layout - I have no doubt I speak for many of us when I say I will be watching with great interest! Also, congrats on the house move and the setting up of some kind of cosy domesticity, but a word of advice: if you want roses climbing over the door, don't use the Noch ones, they're a bit on the small side and very expensive!

Regards,
Gavin

Garethp8873

Postby Garethp8873 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Southern N Classes are one of the best models I have seen Bachmann do in a long time. This is because it is a pre-grouping design (SECR) and they possess such a charm about them. All I need now is Modelzone's N Class in Southern Black and I will have what I want of the N class. I find it a shame that there isn't many Southern locos available in Southern Black :( . I only have a Z Class and Terrier in this livery and I just hope to see Bachmann and Hornby do more SR locos in this livery in the future. And also I hope to see them do more pre-grouping models in the future as well.

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Gareth

You can pick up an LSWR/SR T9 Greyhound in Southern Railway Black, and next year Bachmann are bringing out their SECR/SR Wainwright C Class, also in Southern Black. Kernow Model Rail are doing two limited edition OO Gauge Southern models, also in black - they are the Adams LSWR/SR O2 class, and the Beattie Well Tank. The latter is pretty confined to just three prototype models, but there's a fair amount out there in SR Black if you want it. If you really want to shell out some money, OO Works may still have a limited run of SR H class, but they are pricey at £200. Check out Golden Arrow Models on the web as well. They do some very simple resin kits that require little work to get them up to scratch and use a proprietry chassis from Hornby. Using some Halfords black spray and lettering shouldn't be too difficult - check out the Bluebell Model Railway (mattmay of this parish) to see what is possible - he did an O1, very similar to the C Class, but another loco nonetheless, and Matt did a superb job. I'd love to have a go, and may well now that the layout is on the backburner. From memory, they also do a Z, W G16, D/E1 class and several other models as well - see here: http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm

There's plenty of stuff other there if you look, and are prepared to do some work. I've got an O2 on order, and am barely stopping myself purchasing a Beattie Well Tank solely because they were confined to Cornwall and were never seen anywhere near the ex-LBSCR lines!

All the best,

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Garethp8873

Postby Garethp8873 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Ah yes Mighty I forgot the T9 which I have as well in Southern Black and I have pre-ordered the Beattie Well Tank. I intend on pre-ordering the O2 when I get the Beattie. I do already a SR Z Class and she is a beauty.

Garethp8873.

Kaledmutant

Postby Kaledmutant » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello Mighty,

Have just read the thread from beginning to end and have to say I am "Mighty-ly" impressed (worse than the poetry I expect as puns go) with the layout and the progress you made. From the earlier parts of the thread you seem to be someone I can relate to in the rather large rolling stock collection you were building up. I, too, suffer from the "I want one of those" syndrome and am still building a huge stock list despite not having a place to build the intended layout (see my threads in "Planning" about The Waterbelle Line and - for photos of some of the stock - Train Tryout Loop).

Is the three way point (near the station) a Peco one? If so it could solve a problem at Alresford Park on my Waterbelle Line layout plan as I could do away with a number of Y-Points and replace them with one of the three way ones!

Will have to look out for the new thread regarding the newer layout you are hoping to build at your new home.

Here's hoping that one day I can get to build a layout which is even half as good as yours! An inspiring layout indeed! :)

Cheers, Phil.
All change! All change! This train terminates here.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Kaledmutant wrote:Have just read the thread from beginning to end

Wow :!:

Can you write a quick summery for the rest of us :lol:

Kaledmutant

Postby Kaledmutant » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 pm

He's building a layout!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that a good summary :?:
All change! All change! This train terminates here.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”