Re: Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - cessation of services

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - Video and trees

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Both the pictures and video are very atmospheric.
You've caught the feel of the 'Southern' in the Home Counties very well there Chris :)

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 pm

wow, this layout is going from strength to strength Chris, well done. i envy your E4 it looks sooo good :D
keep up the good work!
kenny
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:36 pm

Agreed this layout has come on leaps and bounds over the last few weeks. The scenery looks stunning!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:18 pm

hi ya
im not into fox hunting i have always been against it but the pack of fox hunting riders with their hounds in the field looks very realistic
keep up the good work cant wait to see the next update which i hope ainty far away
peter

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Gosh isn't it all lovely!

If I might offer one slight correction: I have been told (after doing the same thing myself on Starlingford for goodness only knows how long) that branchline trains, if they combined goods wagons and coaches, had the coaches behind the engine and the wagons at the rear of the train. There are various videos of mine on Youtube which demonstrate me getting this wrong in fine style, which is why someone told me about it!

That piece of needless pernickitiness aside - excellent work, sir! I love the ever-increasing foliage. Bring on the next update!

Gavin
Last edited by Black-Marlin on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 pm

I can imagine why easily enough. A train pulls into the station, decouples and moves into the loop to the back of the train, decouples the wagons from the coaches which are parked at the platform, and can then shunt them back into the sidings. If the wagons come in first then you will have a hell of a time trying to get them behind the coaches to get them in the sidings!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

auricom

Postby auricom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 pm

How have I missed this? Wonderful layout, just wonderful, must say I rather enjoyed the picture of the Q1 on p3/4 as thats my favourite loco.
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Durseytu wrote:I can imagine why easily enough. A train pulls into the station, decouples and moves into the loop to the back of the train, decouples the wagons from the coaches which are parked at the platform, and can then shunt them back into the sidings. If the wagons come in first then you will have a hell of a time trying to get them behind the coaches to get them in the sidings!

Cheers,

Stuart

Not quite.

Coaches require continuous brake system, whereas most wagons do not carry this. In BR days the Bauxite livery wagons/vans with XP on the side were allowed to run infront of coaching stock as they were fitted with brakes that could be controlled by the locomotive. An example of this in a photo above is the Milk Tank in front of a set of Maunsells. Common practice as the Milk Tank is a fitted vehicle.

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Ahh cheers Tom, that does make a lot of sense! :D

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:32 am

tom92240 wrote:Coaches require continuous brake system, whereas most wagons do not carry this. In BR days the Bauxite livery wagons/vans with XP on the side were allowed to run infront of coaching stock as they were fitted with brakes that could be controlled by the locomotive. An example of this in a photo above is the Milk Tank in front of a set of Maunsells. Common practice as the Milk Tank is a fitted vehicle.

And of course on freight trains they'd try to get the vacuum fitted wagons on the front end of the train, so as to maximise the full braking potential that the train had.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 am

*Wanders off, weeping quietly as he searches in vain for a railway-related topic that isn't made hideously complicated by the sheer numbers of exceptions to every possible rule...*

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:*Wanders off, weeping quietly as he searches in vain for a railway-related topic that isn't made hideously complicated by the sheer numbers of exceptions to every possible rule...*

You're the one that wanders off weeping? There I was thinking that I was getting to grips with railway dynamics, but remind that I'm still an amateur! :lol:

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Mighty wrote:Updates:

I've managed to finish off my trees with an extra dusting of scatter, sealed with cheap hairspray. I also purchased a Noch ready made one, just to see what the quality was like, but I was so disappointed with it when it arrived, I'll be selling it on ebay I think! My versions seem to have come out far better, and cheaper too, so I planted some of them in and around the layout, in particular to hide where the lane disappears into the backscene. Here's a few general shots.

Clearly the lane surface needs some work, and I'm going to try and replicate a chalky country lane. Whether this works out or not is another matter, but I'll post an update once I've had a go at it.

All best,

Chris

Love the scenery dude, how do you make your trees?? because I struggling to get em looking this good :P

George

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 am

Yep, I'm struggling to get scenery to look this good too.

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi there... Just stumbled across your thread and have read it from beginning to the end. Have to say squire, it's looking very good so far. Loving the greenery, makes it feel so much more realistic.
Excellent work so far, carry on and keep posting...
Jas.... :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”