BomBaDillic's new 00 layout - Lodge Valley

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
71/4Nick

Re: BomBaDillic's new 00 layout - Lodge Valley

Postby 71/4Nick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Loving the hills n embankments good inspiration for wen i get round to mine

Nice little layout m8 wish id done that with my old 6 x 4 board

Nick

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Hello there,

There has been a lot of progress in Lodge Valley this weekend, mainly due to the arrival of the Skaledale Road Over Bridge which meant I could complete a lot more landscaping. I haven’t got too much more landscaping to do now so hopefully you won’t have to look at pictures of paper mache for much longer. :)

Anyway, here are this weekend’s happenings….

‘Springbok’ comes into view through the new addition to Lodge Valley.

[Image

A Rolls Royce heads over the bridge with t’ pub in the background, hope he isn’t drink driving. :roll:

More polystyrene and cardboard!!! :evil: This will create the road leading to the bridge.

When the cutting is complete….a look back at progress. ‘Springbok’ is on the main branch line passing some sidings.

A close up of one of the sidings. My wife was feeling creative and decided to make some coal from polystyrene. :)

‘Springbok’ passes the signal box and proceeds under the bridge.

An overall look at the progress at the other side of the layout. The cutting leading to the tunnel is now complete.

A close up of the cutting, part of it has been painted green ‘for effect’.

And I think that will do for your fix this weekend, I took hundreds of photos, mainly of the same thing but thought it best not the post them all! Save your eyes. :wink:

Hope to complete landscaping this weekend so nearly at the stage of…..NO MORE PAPER MACHE!!!! Then I’ll start ballasting and track weathering, wooo! :D

Well, thank you for looking, please leave your thoughts and comments and goodnight!!!

BomBaDillic
Last edited by bombadillic on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm

I can't think where your missus could have got so much polystyrene from???? :D :D :wink:

I got some catching up to do now! :mrgreen: Even now my track is laid i dion't think my modelling skills will let me move forward very fast!

Looking really good, i like the bridge a lot, i had to do a "double take" on the first pic, looks like you've been away taking pics on a preserved line for the weekend.. :wink:

Very nice.

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 am

Graymee wrote:I can't think where your missus could have got so much polystyrene from???? :D :D :wink:

I got some catching up to do now! :mrgreen: Even now my track is laid i dion't think my modelling skills will let me move forward very fast!

Looking really good, i like the bridge a lot, i had to do a "double take" on the first pic, looks like you've been away taking pics on a preserved line for the weekend.. :wink:

Very nice.

Cheers

Graeme

I'm sure you'll pick it up as you go along, thats mostly what I did :D The wife likes that first picture too :wink: I do admit the lighting at that particular time was pretty good, just hope I can recapture it in future when I progress further on the layout!

BomBaDillic

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 pm

I've been following this thread for a while now and I really like what I see! It's been useful for me, as all the stuff you're currently doing is all the stuff I've been putting off on my own layout - cuttings, tunnel mouths, church planting...all these have yet to develop on Starlingford, because...err...I keep chickening out. So thanks for all the pictures - it's great to have such a visual guide. Cheers!

Regards,
Gavin

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:58 am

Black-Marlin wrote:I've been following this thread for a while now and I really like what I see! It's been useful for me, as all the stuff you're currently doing is all the stuff I've been putting off on my own layout - cuttings, tunnel mouths, church planting...all these have yet to develop on Starlingford, because...err...I keep chickening out. So thanks for all the pictures - it's great to have such a visual guide. Cheers!

Regards,
Gavin

Thanks for the comments Gavin, I understand what you mean about chickening out believe me! Personally, I thought if I do it first at least it's out of the way and I can move on and always tinker with it at later stages :) I've visited Starlingford a few times in the past and have been very impressed with what I've seen. :D

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:59 pm

hay thanx for the welcome, like the layout it's progreesing well, the tunnel looks especial good, i'm seriously thinking of adding one to my layout now as yours looks really effective.

cheers
Darren

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 am

bombadillic wrote:

‘Springbok’ comes into view through the new addition to Lodge Valley.

Thanks Tom, you've done it again...

I've been thinking about a road overbridge for some time. I'd almost decided to go for the Peco version, but the detailing evident in this photo has decided me otherwise. So now mine is on its way via Ebay...and I blame you...! :lol: Of course, I'm now also reconsidering my track layout to fit around it, so this could turn out to be a far more 'intriguing' purchase and redesign programme... :?

Gavin

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 am

Black-Marlin wrote:Thanks Tom, you've done it again...

Of course, I'm now also reconsidering my track layout to fit around it, so this could turn out to be a far more 'intriguing' purchase and redesign programme... :?

Gavin

Hi Gavin :)

I accept no responsibility for any redesign and any problems arising from the redesign :P

The detailing on the bridge is excellent I must admit. I was blown away by how good it actually looks, the picture on the Hornby website does it no justice.

eBay, a railway moddlers second home :lol:

I only have some minuscule updates for Lodge Valley over the weekend, yet more paper mache and landscaping. However, the end is in site. I will post some pictures either today or tomorrow :P

Ah well, time for workies!

Cheerio!!!

Tom

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:43 pm

A question.....It's payday for me on Friday and I'm buying some Railmatch Sleeper Grime to weather my track. Am I best using Sleeper Grime acrylic or enamel? I've never ventured this far into model railways before so thought I best check before making an impulse buy.

Thanks for your answers!

EDIT: Oh, and am I best going for 1 pot, 2 pots or more?

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:50 pm

bombadillic wrote:A question.....It's payday for me on Friday and I'm buying some Railmatch Sleeper Grime to weather my track. Am I best using Sleeper Grime acrylic or enamel? I've never ventured this far into model railways before so thought I best check before making an impulse buy.

Thanks for your answers!

EDIT: Oh, and am I best going for 1 pot, 2 pots or more?

Acrylic definately as the sleepers are plastic. I'd go for 2 pots aswell because you've got a fair amount of track and it's always good to have some spare :)

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Evening!

Had a delivery from the post lady on Saturday, Railmatch Sleeper Grime so I’ve had a play on a piece of tester track and thought I’d share the results.

Phase 1: Bought Sleeper Grime

Phase 2: Before: Black, shiny track attached to some spare MDF.

Phase 3: After: Coated with Sleeper Grime

Phase 4: Added some ballast

Phase 5: Glued the ballast via the usual method, spray of water followed by a 50/50 mix of PVA/water and a drop of black paint.

Phase 6: Sat around waiting for it to dry

Phase 7: Weathered the track and the ballast some more

Phase 8: Enjoyed the results 8)

Now I’ve just got to do this on the whole layout! :twisted: Let me know what you think. Any improvements or changes you would make?

Progress on the layout as a whole as slowed slightly this week, mainly due to gardening but I’ll post some pictures during the week.

BomBaDillic
Last edited by bombadillic on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:34 pm

Realy good job :wink: where do you get the grime from?
That grass in the last pic looks very realistic :lol:
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:38 pm

ste234 wrote:Realy good job :wink: where do you get the grime from?
Ste.

I bought it online from Howes Models and it was next day delivery so I was happy :)

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Great stuff. Just one observation... What type of ballast is that ? The stones look rather big.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”