Loxley Lane, 6x4, OO layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Graymee

Re: First ever build, size is an issue!

Postby Graymee » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Quick update ( due to not taking long to report nothing much!) I won some track on e-bay today :D got my eye on some other bits tomorrow. Hope to get that before the weekend in time for the baseboard being finished.
Support frame for baseboard is all cut, holes drilled to allow wires to be routed etc. part way thru assembly, hope to be done by friday.

I have just tried winrail and couldn't get on with it, anyrail seems so much simpler. I'm gonna have a muddle for a while when new track arrives but i've got a clearer pic in my head of what i want to do layout wise now. How feasable(sp?) is an incline on a 6x4? i think gradients may have to be too steep due to restricted space but not sure?

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 am

Graymee wrote:How feasable(sp?) is an incline on a 6x4? i think gradients may have to be too steep due to restricted space but not sure?

With 6' x 4', if a gradient (both up and down) made up most of a loop, then if I've worked it out correctly, you should be able to get a maximum elevation of 1 and a half inches at a gradient of 1 in 40 (pretty much the steepest recommended for steam locos due to lack of traction). You probably won't want a gradient over the entire length, so an inch or half an inch would probably be more practical.

So you could have a noticeable gradient, but anything like the height needed to cross over the top of another track is pretty much impossible (without serious restrictions on what you can run).

It's probably easier to give the layout some...umm... 'height interest' by use of hills and cuttings, road bridges, etc.

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 am

That's what i thought Ade, not really worth it for the amount of elevation possible. that's probably a good thing cos i think i'm being a bit ambitious anyway :lol:

Feet on the ground Graeme (and the track :wink: )

Cheers

Graeme
Loxley Lane
My trackplan thread

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Ok bit of an update.

Baseboard is built and i have laid some track on it. :D Final build is 6x4 12mm ply on a 2x1 (or metric equiv) frame of 15inch grid. holes drilled troughought frame to allow wiring etc to be routed and all supported on a couple of plastic trestle legs from b&q about 20quid the pair.

I've laid the track from my Western Spirit set and as can be seen from the pics, i have received my first batch of ebay track today and should be getting another batch tomorrow. Still not really got a track plan yet although i know that i want a double oval with a platform/station and a goods yard in the middle. I can't get my head around the trackplanning software. Anyrail seems to be most user friendly, but even that is doing my head in! If anyone is feeling generous enough to knock me up a quick idea or two i would be very greatful but i WILL NOT DO KISSING :lol:

I think i want to aim for around 1950-1960 era but steam only.

Anyway here are some rather uninteresting pics:

in all it's glory!
new track pt1

not much at present, but great oaks from little...

Cheers

Graeme
Loxley Lane
My trackplan thread

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:03 am

Hello there,

I'll be watching your layout with great interest too. Surely, your photographs aren't uninteresting to us lot here and getting your first lot of the track down is sometimes the most exciting because your plans become real :)

I've built a small incline, I haven't got an exact measurement in height to hand but I'll let you know. I've run a few of my steam locos up it too and they don't seem to be having too much trouble (at the moment) :lol:

My face is green with envy on how tidy your room is. At the moment, the loft is a bomb site of wood chippings, polystryene and pretty much everything else that hasn't been sorted out after the move!

Ah well, time to get ready for the wedding, I'll be back later with more updates on mine.

Talk to you later

BomBaDillic
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:55 pm

hey, ive got a 6 x 4, based on the track mat but i added a bit more track ~(then took it away.)

i like the idea of it as it covers an otherwise bare baseboard untill you fill it in!!

check it out in my sig! :D

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:56 am

Mine's also 6x4, at least the track area (I added a small extension so I could include more scenic detail to give a sense of purpose. Like you, I've limited access around two sides. Check out the link in my sig to see what I've done with the available space.

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Hammy and Geoff, after many hours of hair pulling in front of Anyrail, i am really struggling to get something that works. I was considering using the trackmat layoutbut looking at it I can't work out where the third oval dissapears to and why. On the photo in the handbook which came with my set it only goes as a three oval track for about two thirds? I really don't understand why? Looking at yours Geoff it seems like you have completed a third oval as a kind of "local line"? this would suit me cos i'm looking to by another couple of "mainline" type locos but still want to use the little 0-4-0 that came with my set as a sort of local branch line train.
I want to run two mainline locos at once in opposite directions and just have thru stations.

other than that i just want a bit of a storage yard and a couple of random sidings. but i still want to have plenty of room for scenery/modelling and also a 2 platform station. Not much then :wink:
I've kind of got a trackplan or two on anyrail but can't get it onto photobucket to put on here, any help you can offer would be appreciated.
:? it has just occured to me that i have really started this thread in the wrong place as i am now asking for layout help in the under construction section :? If anyone wants me to start another thread in another section please just tell me, I figure i'd like to keep this all together though, so that when i eventually have a layout built and i know what im doing I can look back and laugh at just what a dumbass i really was. :oops:

I'm thinking of going DCC now as i think it may be easier to run and I will prob go that way in the future so why not now?

Off to read some reviews on hair replacement clinics!!! :lol: :shock:
Loxley Lane
My trackplan thread

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:02 am

It'll all be worth it in the end Graymee!

I've removed the incline on my layout now but still have a tunnel as a scenic break, there are some new pics on my thread if you want to have a gander. Be warned for future, polystyrene is like the plauge and spreads everywhere!

I don't have experience with Anyrail so I'm not too much help I'm afriad, I am making progress with Winrail though :)

Looking forward to more updates

BomBaDillic

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:40 pm

Ok, it's now 11:30 pm and my eyes are hurting, i've come up with a couple of trackplans using anyrail. I'm not really sure what they are trying to achieve but i would welcome your feedback. I have just ordered one of those cd roms off ebay which claims to have all of the answers but....still it has to be worth a £2.50 punt? I've also ordered a book from the library which i think is a Cyril J Freezer but my head isn't working right at the minute. :shock:

Being impatient though i can't wait for them to arrive so i've had a bash...

this was a bit of an amalgamation of some others i'd stumbled accross but i don't fully understand how it would work, especially the station part?

this seems a lot simpler in design and would leave more room on the board for scenics... think i need to add another turnout to switch from inner to outer oval though. I did want to try and bring another siding or poss little bracnh to a "halt" off the right hand side but couldn't manage to fit the turnouts into the bend :?

Please feel free to tear them apart as you see fit..

Cheers

Graeme
Loxley Lane
My trackplan thread

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:53 am

Hello Graymee,

These designs are looking great, very profressional. I do like the look of the first one, should certainly have some interest to it when it comes to operating. You should have a side scope for scenery too. Possibly a tunnel or a higher scenic area with hosting a small village?

I'll be popping back here too quite frequently I think now we're both without inclines :wink:

The postie sort of failed me again yesterday, my item was delivered but was recorded delivery so back it went to the sorting off in the middle of town which closes by 12.30pm and my lunch break isn't till 1pm :(

BTW, does your layout have a name yet Graymee?

Look forward to more updates.

All the best

BomBaDillic

JamesH30

Postby JamesH30 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Hello Graymee

I think the second plan works a lot better. Sometimes less is more.

You will have more of an opportunity to add some raised scenery which will give the impression of a railway being built around the land rather than the other way round. Also it will help break the layout up which I think on a 6' x 4' layout is important.

I look forward to seeing your layout progress.

Cheers James

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm

bombadillic wrote:BTW, does your layout have a name yet Graymee?

Not yet, I'm waiting for some inspiration. I'm just about to get the single malt out though so maybe it will come tonight! :wink:

I'm kinda leaning towards the second plan, it's simpler in both design and operation and would give me more scope for modelling. I've modified it a little:

I've added another couple of turnouts to switch between tracks and also extended the length of the storage/maint yard. Just a quick trip upstairs and i realised that my little 0-4-0 and three small carriages fills a length of 601 so thought it would be better if they were a bit longer.
I'm not sure how i'm gonna fit a two platform station in though, maybe i should flip the storage yard upside down and have it coming off just before the switchover at the top? :? It might look a bit cluttered with all of the points in close proximity but it would free up the whole bottom for a nice big station and lots of pretty stuff.....

I also have to keep reminding myself that this is my first layout and is really just a tester it will be expanded/revamped/ripped up and started again at some point when i move it out to the garage so maybe i keep it simple get some practice in with the modelling, learn how to play trains properly with my little storage yard and make all the mistakes before then.
Off to do some more fiddling!

Thanks for the support again.

Cheers
Graeme
Loxley Lane
My trackplan thread

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 pm

didn't take long!
ok here it is switched around a bit and also some rough idea of a station area and residential area.

I've realised i've nowhere to put in a level crossing so if i'm gonna have some kind of road in my housing area i'm thinking of running an inclined road up the right hand side and bending it over a bridge at the top right. This again though throws up the problem of the top end of the plan being cluttered. I would rather have a tunnel than just a standalone bridge but the cutting would have to go round the bend and be cut very short to allow access to yard area and it might look abit odd!!! :roll:

Ok i'm gonna stop now, i'm off to Midland Railway Centre tomorrow so i'll get to see some real choo choo's and maybe learn a bit too :shock:

Now then where's that bottle of Balvenie :wink:

cheers again

Graeme
Last edited by Graymee on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loxley Lane
My trackplan thread

bombadillic

Postby bombadillic » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 am

Graymee wrote:Now then where's that bottle of Balvenie :wink:
Graeme

Maybe you could call the layout Balvenie :wink:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”