The Loop Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
boyofbears

Re: The Loop Line

Postby boyofbears » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

Hi,

Really like this layout, did you make the trees? and if so how?

Oak
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am

thanks for the kind comments all,

boyofbears wrote:Hi,

Really like this layout, did you make the trees? and if so how?

Oak

We scratchbuilt the trees using the armature and foliage method. (see http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5015&highlight=grove and http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8600&hilit=tree+making+masterclass and http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23011

The first attempts were done with twisted wire, the second batch with bits of carefully chosen stick. Foliage is a mixture of our homemade scatter and sponge crumb applied with LOADS of hairspray

lost track

Postby lost track » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Hello Steve,
I have been reading through this thread over the last couple of evenings and enjoying it very much. I think that first video is brilliant for a first effort. I have to say that I think you are far to modest :D I look forward to more posts from you with regard to further progress...cheers,

Shaun

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks shaun :D

The video was fun so I'll have another go soon, the stock will look better as its mostly weathered up now.

I look at the excellent layouts on here and rmweb for inspiration and gauge my efforts by those standards, which is why I always know theres loads better out there and I can try that much harder to get things looking good.

Over the past couple of nights I've done a fence with concrete posts;

The posts were cut from mountboard and reinforced with CA to allow me to sand the rounded top. Tiny holes drilled with the lidl rotary tool (which for £13 in Jan 09 has been indispensable), stuck on a drawing pin, painted and then fishing line for the wire.

the fence inspector giving them the once over

I could swear that telegraph pole was straight!

our next project will be a bottle kiln and pot bank buildings...

Last edited by Steve with the Hat on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Wow.......
this thread just keeps getting better & better,

awesome weathering,
awesome fences

what next? :D :lol:

T&C
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi Steve, tiz looking fantastic m8.. those painted people are nothing short of amazing. Also the tunnel entrances, I need 9 or maybe 10... fancy making them? lol... only joking but I am now determined to have a go at that.
I also like the trees,, if your better half got involved ask her if she will marry me if you get divorced :D

I too built a layout for my lad and me, it grew and grew and now is massive and fills the loft. My son is now 18 and into females, Muse, playing drums, playing guitar but mainly females lol.

So as I retire next month I have taken over the layout as Mine and am on relaying a lot of track and new points also changing it over to DCC. I will be watching your thread to pick up lots of tips.

Great stuff

Greets from Slackers and the land of the prince bishops (Durham)
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:09 pm

hi slackers,

DAS clay has been a real discovery for me, along with mountboard scraps from a framing shop it lends itself really well to structures. I plan on replacing all our metcalfe stuff with scratchbuilt buildings eventually.

Its mainly me that does the fine modelling as pretty soon I realised to get a good standard 'daddy will do that bit' but there are plenty of things that I let him loose on, drilling, holding solder for me and getting covered in pva and hbl being some.
Hopefully I can ween my lad off it b4 he's 18! Does your son never want to show the girls his train set? :D

good luck with the trackwork - have you get a layout thread on here I can't find it?

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Well the work on the potbank is progressing with the kiln all marked up now ready for scribing and a small workshop building underway.

also on the workbench atm are some platform lights bodged up from bits of biro refill and tea light holder:

pretty happy with those for a mornings work and no proper materials ;)

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi again all,

Been dead busy here but I thought I'd take time to make a quick update.

We have demolished the fiddleyard!! - our lad couldn't see over the ****ing thing! We have also painted and added our first kiln and are cracking on with the second.

Hope everyone has a good holiday!

regards

Steve

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:32 am

Hey Steve

just been looking at your thread. nice layout - just makes me think that I should get my finger out and do some work on mine! I noticed a few pages back you were on the lookout for some blood and custard coaches for your layout - did you manage to get any? I think I may have 3 matching the one I saw in one of your photos that I was looking to sell/trade as i have gone down a scale to N and they are no longer needed.

if you are interested, send me a PM.

Either way, have a great Christmas!

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Well I'm not quote sure how I found this thread, but I'm glad I did, some great tips in here and a great looking layout on what seems to have been a shoestring budget - normally I wouldn't bookmark a thread and would rely on subscribing to a topic to get updates, but sadly this one seems to have ground to a halt now :(

Still, some fantastic little bits of info so bookmarking it is to use as reference - hopefully at some point I will get a notification in my email that work has recommenced on this cracking little layout :)
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am

Steve with the Hat wrote:Image
I could swear that telegraph pole was straight!

Don't worry about it, I've been asked to climb worse!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”