1st N gauge test track

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Gerbyl

1st N gauge test track

Postby Gerbyl » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I have enjoyed reading post about other people layouts and got some great ideas from them.

I have decided to start my first layout as a test track for running my locos .. all 2 of them .. and to learn the skills required to make a larger layout later on.

So here I go after getting a graham farish starter set for Christmas I bought a couple of points and a bit of extra track so I could make a test layout. The firs problem was I did not realise how difficult it would be to lay the track onto the borad. I bought a sundella borad and made a frame then cut up two underbed plastic boxes to stow away under the bed without getting dusty / damged.

IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg (113.39 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

My next problem is fixing the power to the lines, as you can see I have used the Farish clips supplied but this looks ugly and I am hoping to try and weld the wires to the track. Do you wire them to the track connectors or to the bottom / sides of the track?

IMG_0257.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

Finally I have decided to make a tunnel... or at least try.. I used an empty wine box for the support and them placed layers of polystyrene to build it up. I have glued a toilet role tube to the inside of the tunnel entrance and will fix these later when the glue has dried. I shall them modrock the poly and paint then add scatter scenery and cork to get a finish I hope.

IMG_0258.jpg
IMG_0258.jpg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 4735 times

IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg (104.06 KiB) Viewed 4735 times

I would be grateful of any advice and i'll update soon on progression. I have been speaking to the local model shops and I have found a couple who are really helpful. So with a bit of luck and a lot of help i'll end up with a result to spur me on to shelling out the loads of cash it seems you need for a bigger layout.

Thanks all in anticipation.
Gerbyl

beerandpies

Re: 1st N gauge test track

Postby beerandpies » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 pm

I found it easier to solder wires to my [edit] fish plates rather than the track itself... I melted a few sleepers by accient once or twice prior to that!

Good start there.
Last edited by beerandpies on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

scary-bob

Postby scary-bob » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 am

I'm on my first N gauge layout too, and have just spent what seems like all night soldering wires to track connectors!. I intend to hide these with ballast eventually.

Gerbyl

Postby Gerbyl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks for the interest and the advice. I think I will have a go at soldering to connectors then if I mess it up I can throw them away.

I am now thinking of adding a gradient road into the middle of the board from off the hill, giving it a reason to be there. There seems a lot more to this than I first thought.
1st problem the Lyddle end grad retaining walls look very nice, but my tunnel entrancde is stone not brick, so I suppose ill have to look for stone gradient walls.

Thanks Again, happy modeling Gerbyl.
Kevin.
My N Gauge layout ..viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20222

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 pm

hey dude,

a nice little start there. If you want to make some stone retaining walls and have a spare couple of hours there easy to make your own all you need is a couple of sheets of thin plasticard, a sharp knife, a steel ruler and some liquid poly.

Cut one sheet to the shape of the wall and cut the other into strips about 2mm wide (try to vary the size slightly), then cut the strips into tiny rectangles and glue them onto the backing sheet starting at the bottom and move upwards like you are buildign a wall out of them.

It takes a while but will look a treat when your finished and is very easy to paint.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

Gerbyl

Postby Gerbyl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Blooregard.

I went to the show at Harrogate today and found some embossed Slater Plasticard, bought a plastic board and a few trimmings and am going to have a go at making my retaining wall.... Like you suggested only not having to cut up all the little pieces.

The tunnel has come on a bit and i'll post some more pics when the wall is underway and the power soldered on.. Thanks all.
Kevin.

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:34 pm

Good start to what could turn out to be a fun little layout.
If you are scared of melting the sleepers when soldering feed wires to the rails then why not try soldering them to the bottom of the fishplates?
You can remove the fishplates first and if it doesn't go well then you can always get a packet of spare Peco ones.

Look forward to your progress :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.

Gerbyl

Postby Gerbyl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Here are the latest pics.... I am hoping to put a small station at the bottom of the grad. road ramp.

Then I can split the board giving me 2 different areas to work on... so I can try out more ideas.

IMG_0259.jpg
This shows the board from above and the areas I can split up
IMG_0259.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 4352 times

IMG_0260.jpg
right side of road
IMG_0260.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 4335 times

IMG_0261.jpg
left side of road
IMG_0261.jpg (75.33 KiB) Viewed 4320 times

Anyone got any ideas what I could put on each side of the borad? I was thinking perhaps 1 side industrial and the other fields / rural to try both styles of scenery. What do you think?

Thanks for the encouragement and interest
Kevin.

trains!

Postby trains! » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:19 pm

looking good gerbyl, I like your idea with the industrial and rural. After all it is a test track
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Gerbyl

Postby Gerbyl » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:08 pm

A bit more progress has been made. I have put an initial coat of paint on the tunnel and had a go at balasting the part of the track inside and near it.

The balasting was quite difficult and I am not sure how tidy the finished article should be, so I have opted for what I like, hope it's ok.

The gradient road has now been added to with support pillars and the plasticard 2mm stone shet attatched. My first issue, the peco N gauager stone work on the tunnel is much larger scale than the 2mm Slaters plastickard. I have also bought some fencing to use as a rail to the footpath by the side of the road, I bought Ratio fencing in the end as the detail was much finer than the Peco alternative.

The original idea for a test layout was to learn the skills to build a larger layout later and hopefully avoid these sort of mistakes.

Any ideas or comments are most welcome.........

IMG_0265.jpg
Tunnel showing footpath and difference in stone scales.
IMG_0265.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 4187 times

IMG_0264.jpg
First attempt at balast not as easy as I thought.
IMG_0264.jpg (54.6 KiB) Viewed 4171 times

Thanks for looking more pics soon
Kevin.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Looks like a decent attempt at ballasting... In my limited experience it's never been an easy or tidy job. But then it's never tidy in real life.

You've used a finer ballast which is something I wish I'd done when I started.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

trains!

Postby trains! » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Yes, i agree with B + P finer ballast always looks better. When you get course stuff compare it to a persons hand and in reality its a lot bigger than it should.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Tepic

Postby Tepic » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:28 pm

It reminds me a lot of my first experience with N. I bought the peco track starter pack and a farish saddle tank.

Great memories :)

Gerbyl

Postby Gerbyl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Latest pics....

Things have moved on a bit, I sucessfully managed to solder the power onto the connecting plates then covered ot with ballast, Now it is not visible at all. All the ballasting is finished but needs painting and rails painting.

The tunnel has been painted 2 coats of scatter grass added and sime scenery including 2 kit build hut, 1 I am using as railside the other as a bus stop, but it does seem a bit big. I have attached the tunnel onto the board now checked trains psss under it and all the track is still live after the ballasting, I did have a little bit of scraping on 1 point but all works well now.

I have built a scratch built foot bridge as I could not buy one for a single track, that needs painting then it can be plased onto the platform when thats stuck down.

I have an idea for a scratch built yard/factory on the opposite corner to the tunnel to balance the layout, the cardboard support is done and I'm just working on plans of how it should look. I thought i'd check out other layouts of photos for inspiration.

Anyway here are the pics (so far)... without finishing details.

IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0268.jpg (78.75 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0267.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0269.jpg (119.64 KiB) Viewed 3999 times

Thanks more to follow
Kevin.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:08 pm

That's some fast work there! Glad you got that power feed sorted, much better than those track clips you get in sets. Mine got to the point where the weight of the train was disconnecting the clips before I binned them and soldered it all together.

Loving the country lane over the bridge.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”