Middleton (30's GWR)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
redline41190

Re: Middleton (30's GWR)

Postby redline41190 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 pm

trains! wrote:Redline, now that youv'e pointed that out i suppose so. The crossovers sometimes are on ebay as scratchbuilt. Go for a bomb! From around £20-£40!

That seems a little silly for something that probably isn't all that hard to make for about £10 and the right tools :lol:
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 pm

i made the cross overs using some off cuts of track and a dremel with a cutting disc, quite an easy job actually and more or less free. =D
the engine in the yard is the hornby 0-4-0 in the guise of GWR No 101.
the elevated track is just the result of boards of different thickness sat on the same frame
Above all its a Rover.

http://www.pendonmuseum.com
or visit my layout.
or my other models.

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:01 pm

here is the latest photo i am slowly approching a state where i am happy with it and hopefully will all work aswell

i think rewiring will be the next job
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

f1_mw

Postby f1_mw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:21 pm

That's a great photo, Jack, I love the narrow gauge line!

I, too, found myself getting distracted by cars and girls to the detriment of the model railway... now I'm engaged and the car is running I can concentrate on a layout!! :wink:
Chris M.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 am

I really must congratulate you on a terrifc layout. It just goes to show that, with a bit of imagination and lateral thinking, you can turn something simple and (in typical layout terms) small dimensionally into something eye-catching and intruiging. And yet, despite managing to cram enough detail and track to give you scope for lots of operational fun, you have somehow managed to maintain a distinctly rural air 8)

I am always a great admirer of people who as beginers can be patient enough to see their first project through to fruition. I say that as a self-confessed slacker, lol! I'm sure there are several things more you want to do that you believe will make it better, but believe me, by any standards this is already a first-rate layout and, for that matter, an exceptional first effort.

I particularly like the idea of the narrow-guage railway and the crossing is inspired! :)

Cheers fella, I look forward to more progress ;)

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Tue May 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Thankyou! i will be honest it doesn't look as good from other angles

I now need to do some work on my exhibition layout it was embaressing on its last outing
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue May 12, 2009 8:59 pm

i really like what you've done. I haven't seen track crossovers like that before. My layout is mainly GWR.

Hobby Boy
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 am

WOAH!!!! that is some pretty sweet railway you have there, that looks f***ing awesome!!!!!!!
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 pm

I have decided to try to get the engine shed to a reasonably completed state.
I can't actually remember what the plan was when I stated making it, but as the roof doesn't cover the whole length of the building the best conclusion I can come up with is that I intended to add a roof mounted water tank... so that is what I have decided to do...

A close up of the office end.
I need to add a lintle over the window and door, any sugestions about the best way to do this are more than welcome.
the brickwork is south eastern fine cast plasticard with a mixture of grey paint and ash rubbed over the brick card to fill in the mortar courses. The bricks were then dry brushed with a terracotta red before odd ones were picked out in lighter or darker colours and the whole thing was weathered.

Whilst I put off digging out the plastic stuff a few sections of wall are covered in other types of brick paper, this is a quick comparison of the South Eastern and scale scenes brick paper

the roof is covered in scale scenes slate paper, it is great stuff, especially if you have access to a laser printer.

The tank was constructed using card (from a cereal box) :) super glue was used throughout as it enables sanding and filing to be used at a later date to smooth joins out and improve any shaping issues.
it is utterly freelance and only lightly influenced by the results of a quick google image search.

The plan for the next bit is to paint it in Humbrol #63 and cover the top with scale scenes 'roof cladding' I might at some point hide batteries and lights for the building in the water tank.
then the next jobs will be to decorate and furnish the office and build the large doors. any suggestions for reference material for those jobs would be great.
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”