Moorswater in N gauge (ex SR/GWR)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
beerandpies

Re: Moorswater in N gauge (ex SR/GWR)

Postby beerandpies » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm

The Metcalfe kits are great to build aren't they? I've throw a couple together on my layout too.
This is a lovely little layout. I'll stay tuned for more updates
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 pm

Good to see that they do most of their OO range in N gauge as well, I might have to think about getting some, Although I like a lot of the scalescenes stuff too.

Cheers

Ryan

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Don't you just love it when you come up with an idea for a layout, mixing a bit of fact with fiction only to find that you open a magazine (Hornby in this case) which firmly puts fact in place and you realise there was a rail yard (no station and on the looe line, not the main line) there in real life! An interesting article (Liskard area line), and some good pictures but still no inspiration for the factory.

Nothing much has happened on the layout, the M7 is now dcc and soooooo smooth. I switch between dcc and dc when playing at the mo and will buy a few more dcc boards now I know how easy it is to convert the locos.

Am moving to a new office up the road in 2 months, which will mean my home office becomes a hobby room again! But of course I will need a small scenic track bed in the new office - probably one a couple of foot long by a few inches, maybe a length of track leading to a 2 line shed - haven't told the wife yet!

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:18 pm

Well the office move happened 2 weeks ago and now my hobby room is back to it's proper use! Yup, model railway, arm chair, 32 inch sony lcd tv and PS3!

So I've mostly been working in the new office, surprised how much modelling I used to get done during the working day! But I'm feeling inspired so bought the following for Moorswater:

1 * Hornby Model Railways N8059 Weighbridge and Office - Lyddle End "Station Life" Range
1 * Hornby Model Railways N8083 Signal box - Lyddle End "Station Life" Range
1 * Hornby Model Railways N8654 Lock keepers cottage - Lyddle End "Canals" range
2 * Hornby Model Railways N8732 Groundframe and cabinet - Lyddle End Range
1 * Hornby Model Railways N8742 Office and gates - Lyddle End "Gasworks" Range
3 * Peco Model Railway Products NR43W Box Van GWR Grey

Plus I'm looking for a Q1 with the British Railway emblem - but they're not cheap!

A little more work with point motors and then the hill and tunnel scene on the right hand side can be started!

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Stuff arrived and has provided much inspiration! Point motors have now been fitted for the hidden sidings so the last bit of back board can go in place and the tunnel started, tunnel mouth is fitted and just working out how to do the tunnel it'self - clever use of a loo roll inner springs to mind.

Plus I've just won an auction for a Dapol Q1, wanted the BR logo one but they seem to go for a lot more money compared to the Southern Railway version - so I'll remove the logo and number and get a transfer when I DCC it.

I have a strange draw to an 04 diesel, worse than that the pull is also suggesting that I repaint it as a privately owned loco for the factory - this has resulted in the steam engine shed being moved to the siding at the tunnel end of the layout and one of the sidings near the factory being used as a small service/storage siding for the 04, with the other siding for wagon storage!

Oh dear!

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:53 pm

I've taken advantage of SWMBO going out for a a few hours today and yesterday and been able to do some more:

Factory, crossing and cutting

Factory, sidings and Q1!

Tunnel and hill starting to take shape and engine shed in new location

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Parents - love'em...

My mother has just come over and had a look at the railway -she took great delight in telling me that the signal box is too far from the line. My wife has since enjoyed taking the pee out of me...

Families...

But at last the factory has a purpose, it is now a transformer factory, building transformers for "modern" sub stations and the like.

At least I feel I have achieved something without doing anything!

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:58 am

Someone please explain how come I tend to get to this stage on every layout, stop working on it for a month and then want to build a new layout? Problem with Moorswater is I have no way to extend it should I want to.

Some answers before they get asked:

1) No, I don't have a track plan, yes I could do one but haven't round to it
2) Yes, I could have used plasticard on the level crossing but chose not to, yes I will fit gates at some point.
3) Yes, I do have people but not painted them yet!

Just in case!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:29 am

Hi mate, just caught up with your thread after a while. :D

Don't worry, that feeling of wanting to startagain etc, it should pass. got lot's of praise for the scenery and factory area still, you've done well mate. hopefully you will keep going with this layout as i think it's a bit of a gem in the making. :wink:

cheers chap

Terrier

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Hello BSA,
In respect of "half completing" Lay-outs you obviously have this urgent unrequited wish to become a Land Developer. This is NOT a good idea whilst the Current Economic Climate, and Gordon Brown, still exist, and, anyway, your Mother wouldn't approve :D :lol: . Currently your Lay-out is looking extremely good and promises much for the future. Please bear in mind that you are Modelling my Favourite Part of Britain so don't be leaving-around half-finished eyesores. I will be Modelling in that area very shortly and don't wish to clear-up after you :roll: :lol: . I have extensive knowledge of the "failings" of the people from Hook, Fleet, Aldershot and Farnborough so I will be keeping an eye on you, :) :lol:,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
PS: Do you have any vacancies as I would love Full-time Modelling with Part-time Working :lol: :lol:

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:49 pm

So a predictable start to 2010! I have not been happy with the baseboards and as a result, the running on my layout. The original Moorswater was built on a ply shelf, not reinforced/strengthened and mounted on shelf brackets. I loved the way the layout was looking and the curves/cuttings etc. but the running (especially on the hidden bit) was annoying me, even with DCC. Lastly I found my self getting frustrated with the tight curves so have much wider curves...

Just before Christmas I went on a shopping spree - bought lots of track and stock, plus Santa was very generous!

This resulted in a 9mm ply base reinforced by 2x1 bracing planned to let me fit point motors (other problem on version 1) - I changed the size a bit (2m x 0.61m instead of (2.5m x 0.61 max each end and 0.5m in the middle bit)) as it suited the space better.

Attached are some photos and a few videos showing the new layout and bits positioned where I want them to be. Need a little more track for the engine shed area but other than that it is sorted. Started on the wiring and have the layout working in DC at the moment (so the Q1 and the M7 are isolated). Before I got too far I wanted to ensure that all my stock ran smoothly and didn't derail - amazing what my locos can pull on well laid ( ;-) ) track!

Loco list is:

Q1 (DCC) Dapol
M7 (DCC) Dapol
Battle of Britain - Spitfire (DC) old farish
67xx PT (DC)- new farish
14xx (DC) - Dapol
45xx (DC) - Dapol
45xx (DC) - Dapol
J94 (DC) - old farish (I know, not Southern or Western - bothered?!).

I have a brand new 45xx (Dapol) which I was given for Christmas, which I'm hoping to take back to the shop and exchange for something else...

Ignore the hill from the old layout, it was recovered but being rebuilt.

I managed some video but am fighting with photobucket to get them uploaded.
Last edited by bsa77 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Shame,I liked the cutting area on the old layout.
Still,it's yours and you can do what you like :mrgreen:

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Cutting will be rebuilt coz I liked it too! But with bigger curves and more space I'm hoping to make it better. The basics will be the same as the old layout, just jigged to work better and offer more playability...

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Tried to embed these videos but didn't work...

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:38 pm

woops. should have been a pm

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”