Moorswater in N gauge (ex SR/GWR)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Well I finally made the change and found some time, almost nothing archived over Christmas...

Here are pictures of my new creation, will be a main-ish line with an ex GWR branch termination, some sort of factory (Metcalf factory and boiler house under way), loco servicing bit/engine shed and some form of goods yard... That's it so!

I have a plan drawn but arguing with Xtrkcad at mo, basically a single line with up/down passing bit at station, 2 platforms, sort of dogleg going to 2 hidden siding monitored by a cheap black & white camera plugged into the desktop PC. I'm attempting to make the "west" end disappear via a tree lined steep cutting and the "east" side into a tunnel... Will be DCC - one day.

Looking toward the station and in the distance the factory - no, it's not a glue factory...

Past the "factory" and on towards the cutting

Looking towards the tunnel and goods siding/possibly engine shed if I ever make my mind up.

Stock so far!

Got to say I love N gauge!
Last edited by bsa77 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:19 pm

Spent some time working on the hill/cutting area behind the factory:

Bit of brown to help me see where things are to go and then rock bits roughly placed.
Last edited by bsa77 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:23 pm

Had a bit of time (joy of having the model railway in the office!).

Quite like this, lots to do but enjoying it!

Last edited by bsa77 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terrier

Re: N gauge - SR/GWR/BR - no name yet

Postby Terrier » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi bsa77, got to say, i love the cutting you have created that will be behind the factory/mill. Looking good. I can see you have had fun getting to grips with ballasting to, i am of a similar ilk when it comes to the fineart of ballasting, even with having read literally hundreds of pages of directions, ingredients and various procedures lol! ...but yep, got to love N Gauge, it's brilliant! (sorry sound like a kid, but N gauge does rock in my honest opinion. :D )

top stuff mate, look forward to progression and reading what you have done with the layout.

Cheers

Chris

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks Chris!

Ballasting is a nightmare, and I don't have all the point motors (i.e. only 1 so far, 8 to go) yet so I'm awaiting pay day before buying them, fitting them and then carrying on with the ballasting.

I can't carry on with the tunnel end until I buy/fit two point motors as it will be impossible to fit once the rock face/field and back scene are in place. Got my factory to build (metcalf) but no glue to build it with!

So I'm just playing with that corner at the mo.
Last edited by bsa77 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsa77

Moorswater in N gauge

Postby bsa77 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Finally a name and "location" for the layout...

Moorswater is a real place, near Liskeard in Cornwall and for the purpose of my layout acts much the same as Bodmin Parkway, with an ex-GWR branch line sharing part of the line with the main ex-Southern route. The line feeds a private factory (use still to be decided), and has goods facilities and a small loco servicing area.

Era is about 1956ish

Modellers licence in the extreme, especially as it's a single line but hey, it's my railway! Board is just over 7 foot long and between 12 inches and 22 inches wide so I can still use the work bench below for "proper" work!

This has been so much more satisfying to build than any of my previous attempts in OO and let's face it, al I have is track laid and a cutting/hill so far!

barks

Postby barks » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:50 pm

great start bud,

i agree n gauge is awsome..

wait untill you try dcc!

regards

barks :D
My Layout so far...

bsa77

Moorswater in N gauge

Postby bsa77 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Had all 3 loco's working almost faultlessly today! (DC only) Is great to have stuff moving and inspires one to keep going, so much so that I've just ordered all the remaining point motors!!!

Hurrah!
Last edited by bsa77 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Nice one fella! ...when they're all in place and you can just flick a switch or press a button (however you have them set up) it's great to run trains around and not have to keep manually flicking points... except for that at my club, sometimes i forget which way the points have been set which ends in minor catastrophes lol ...but yeah, top stuff mate! keep em' rolling! :D

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:08 pm

nice setup there :) love the cuttings into the mountain face :)
My N gauge 90's Era layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18182

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:19 am

Great work, I like the cutting.
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:29 am

Cheers chaps! Nothing much has happened over the last weekend as I'm sorting stuff for the show at Alexandra Palace and writing press releases to go in RCM&E, Quiet & Electric Flight and RC Model World mags, all for Friday!

But my point motors arrived (next day from cravenmodels via ebay - perfect) and then a couple of days afterwards the switches arrived from LMS. So after the weekend I will install them. Oh, I did lay the last few bits of track, factory siding and the branch line bay.

Edit:

The bad part of having a model railway in the office is the tendency to play! For the last hour I have had a loco running continuously around the track, when I say a loco I mean I have switched between the 3 - in the interests of smooth running/testing, of course I have been working in between loco changes... hmmm :oops:

briantwigley

Re: Moorswater in N gauge (ex SR/GWR)

Postby briantwigley » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Looking good, I cant wait to see this progress!

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Had a productive afternoon with the Metcalfe factory and boiler house kit, first time I've built one and I'm chuffed with the results.

I've extended the loading platform, trying to give the image that the original part is the flagstone part but has recently been extended with a tarmacadam type surface and a ramp. There will be fencing/walls to separate the factory from the railway and probably some gates across the private sidings prior to the main railway.

What a fab afternoon! I love it when the Wife goes out!

barks

Postby barks » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:07 pm

hi,

its coming on great!
like the hill, nice curves :shock:

"What a fab afternoon! I love it when the Wife goes out!"

hehehe :D

regards

barks
My Layout so far...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”