Ninian Junction - And so it is finished, see last post.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ste234

Re: Ninian Junction

Postby ste234 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Class 66 wrote:Layout News - Ballasting has started!!!! Pictures tommorow

Whoooo pictures :D :lol:
The custom finish on them hornby buildings looks great! Are you going to tackle the rest of the red?
Cheers,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:06 pm

what area are you ballasting? The Track or the areas around it?
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:11 pm

ste234 wrote:
Class 66 wrote:Layout News - Ballasting has started!!!! Pictures tommorow

Whoooo pictures :D :lol:
The custom finish on them hornby buildings looks great! Are you going to tackle the rest of the red?
Cheers,
Ste.

Thanks for the comments Ste.

I was going to leave the red until later. I'm undecided though to if it should be done.

@hobby_boy: The station area currently, I'm aiming to do half and then do the other half later on during this week as I want to get the plaster cloth dealt with. I aimed to get the platforms installed before ballasting as I can tell where the ballast needs to go between the platforms.
Last edited by Class 66 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:15 pm

this is about the level crossing bit of the road. are you going to have traditional gates or barriers for it? And does the road lead to the station? or is there going to be a goods shed?
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:35 pm

the hill is outsanding,the part that i especially like is the part on the left hand side of the tunnel enterance which has the road above it ,the scene could be improved with some trees,stone walling [ hornby make a stone walling product] and some clump foliage from the woodland scenics range.
the platfroms are coming along nicely aswell.is the layout going to be set in a specific era as on page one there is a model of flying scotsman and on page 8 a picture with a model of EWS class 56 56059?

Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:24 pm

EDIT: Please delete this post (double post)
Last edited by hobby boy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm

when would the pictures of the ballasting come? :?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Hobby Boy, part of the pleasure of model railways is that they don't offer instant gratification; not everything happens immediately! (Pendon Museum's been under construction for the last 50 years!) I'm sure Ninian Junction is progressing; I'm also sure that when that progress is noteworthy there will be an update acknowledging this. I think it's great that you're on the forum, but you need to realise that not everyone here has the time available to them that you do, and so patience is necessary (and I'm speaking as someone who unfortunately only has the opportunity to get work done on his own railway maybe 6 times a year :( !). I'm sure we will all see photographs of the no doubt excellent work being done on Ninian Junction in due course.

In the meantime, why not investigate some of the other excellent layouts under construction here? Or better yet, update us all on the status of yours.

I'm really not saying any of this to get at you, it's just me trying to prevent irritation on the part of anyone.

Happy Modelling,
Gavin
Last edited by Black-Marlin on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm

well i know that but i would like to see the progress of the layout :D I so do like model railways - since i was 4 - been 10 years since then. But this layout is coming up well.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Hobby boy,i have liked model railways since i was 4-ish aswell and im only 15, but if you just tried to be a bit less pestering :D , as blackmarlin said not everyone can update all the time, they may not have done any work, im sure an update will come when ready.
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:13 am

ste234 wrote:Hobby boy,i have liked model railways since i was 4-ish aswell and im only 15, but if you just tried to be a bit less pestering :D , as blackmarlin said not everyone can update all the time, they may not have done any work, im sure an update will come when ready.
Ste.

Same for me, I had my first set when I was 2 (mind you it was Brio). I'm 19 and I used to have a layout but now I just sit back on here biding my time, and slowly getting to building another. Adding to what everyone else has said, updates come when the author has done something, or when something important need be said, so just be patient :D I'm sure Stephen will have something great to show us all soon enough 8)
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Right finally an update! Sorry it's taken so long to get around to this.

So I've done half of the ballasting, I'm putting off the other half until I get the road and that part of the hill plaster clothed, it will cause a mess if I don't wait!

Also awaiting my 3 point motors, scatter and plaster cloth from The Signal Box, will get here sooner or later.

Anyway pictures:

Station area :

Sidings :

Tunnel :

Closeup of a few bits :

The 3-way point was by far a nightmare to ballast, but I got there eventually.

Feel free to comment

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:41 pm

One thing that's now crossing my mind is a new DCC system.

The Select I bought very cheaply and planned to only use it whilst building, pretty soon all the work with the track will be finished (forget the village, buildings etc, just the track). It's now time to look to the future and I'm stuck between two options. Lenz or Digitrax, i'm edging towards the Lenz because it looks easy to use whilst he Digitrax console seems to have a whole lot of buttons on it! It'll probably be later on in the year when I get the system.

Any thoughts from anyone on what option I should be taking ?

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Stephen,

Ballasting is looking very good, that 3way point must have been a bit tedious!

Not sure if it will help you but I bought a magazine yesterday called Model Rail (I have never bought a mag on the subject before but it caght my eye as i wandered into my village co-op so thought i'd give it a punt) There is a Review/comparison article type thingy about DCC control systems in this months issue. Not read it yet but at first glance it does seem to comment on a lot of different systems. Never sure how partisan these mags are and often wonder if the "G Rating" equals the number of bottles of Tattinger bunged to the reviewer :wink: but might be worth a look.

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:19 am

well done getting everything ballasted. It does look harder then it look, Points are the worst to ballast so i'm not surprised that it took you ages!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”