Ninian Junction - And so it is finished, see last post.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
hobby boy

Re: Ninian Junction

Postby hobby boy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:44 pm

why don't you use the peco switches. they only cost about £2 each :D
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:44 pm

hobby boy wrote:why don't you use the peco switches. they only cost about £2 each :D

Quickly adds up though. And anyway I quite like my current method. More fun in the wiring!

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Stephen, picked up this thread a couple of days ago, very similar trackplan to mine so i like it! :lol: :wink:

I really like what youve done with your points switches, i'm looking at something similar, i've got some on-off-on spdt centre biased switches on the way and I'm gonna fit hornby point motors. Can you please explain or point me to a link which will explain very simply what components i need and how to wire them in order to have the led indicators that you have. I am a total dummy when it comes to electronics but could really use the lights as i had a nasty head on the other day (being DCC thats very easy! :oops: ) I will be using a CDU but i'll probably just buy one.

Scenery looks very neat, i'm going to use the "bubble wrap technique" too. Staples do a huuuuge roll for about a tenner, much cheaper than wire mesh! :D

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

Teleman

Postby Teleman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Class 66 wrote:
hobby boy wrote:why don't you use the peco switches. they only cost about £2 each :D

Quickly adds up though. And anyway I quite like my current method. More fun in the wiring!

You might find that with the type of switchies you are using that they can be held 'on' for too long so if you use a cdu it will take all the power out of the caps so taking a long time to recharge , If you use the Peco ones as they are a passing contact so they don't discharge the cdu so much .
I found this out from the clubs exhibition layout and since changing the switchies to the Peco ones you can 'fire' the motors five or six times before the cdu runs out of power where before with the type of switchies you are using some people only got one to 'fire' before the cdu ran out of power because they held the switch over , even being careful most only managed four .
BTW they both wire the same so its easy to change over if you need to :wink:
If i ever bought an electric car , can i fit a sound chip ? ,,, to make it sound like a class 47 :)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:15 am

Teleman wrote:
Class 66 wrote:

You might find that with the type of switchies you are using that they can be held 'on' for too long so if you use a cdu it will take all the power out of the caps so taking a long time to recharge , If you use the Peco ones as they are a passing contact so they don't discharge the cdu so much .
I found this out from the clubs exhibition layout and since changing the switchies to the Peco ones you can 'fire' the motors five or six times before the cdu runs out of power where before with the type of switchies you are using some people only got one to 'fire' before the cdu ran out of power because they held the switch over , even being careful most only managed four .
BTW they both wire the same so its easy to change over if you need to :wink:

Hi all
Firstly I don't know where the idea is from that Peco PL26 passing contact levers are around £2.00 each. They retail often for more like £4.00 each! While the lowest price I have found is £3.40 so far. The Hornby R044 black lever is even more expensive and neither type of switch can easily be panel mounted or as simply as a toggle switch can, just a round hole needs drilling for a toggle! Sprung to centre off toggle switches sell for around £0.80 pence each! They are ideal for MR point operation. I have used them for many, many years both on my own and club exhibition layouts without any problems at all - They only need a simple and quick flick over and back to operate the point motors successfully (via a CDU of course).
If cost is to be kept low then the cheapest solution has to be Stud and Probe operation.

I would advise to use a transistor type CDU whenever possible as this recharges very quickly. But if you don't mind waiting a few seconds then the one as built is fine!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

trains!

Postby trains! » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Greymee my dad buys bubble wrap in massive rolls. (containers) He pays next to nothing for the amount he gets ill send ya a load if you want for what ever my dad pays :D. Same for anyone else.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:11 pm

So a bit of news. About a few days ago (maybe 3 days) the CDU just suddenly stopped working along with all the points. I had a look at the system and have spent the last few days trying to find a solution.

And today I got it! Turned out that the PSU that was powering the CDU was faulty and had blown meaning it was not working, I've got a new one on order.

I also took the opportunity to change the capacitors on the CDU from the two 2200uf ones to one big 4700uf one. The difference is amazing, it recharges sooooo quickly.

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:20 pm

You'd never believe it. I got the new plug yesterday and to my astonishment it's faulty!

So once again I've got a new one coming soon hopefully. I've continued wiring anyway so lets see what happens.

Need to do some scenery though....

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:33 am

And today I got it! Turned out that the PSU that was powering the CDU was faulty and had blown meaning it was not working, I've got a new one on order.
You'd never believe it. I got the new plug yesterday and to my astonishment it's faulty!

i've had a faulty transformer before because of a loose wire. My dad fixed it, by opening it up (EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS NOT TO OPEN IT!) and fixing the wire. He did this because he understands how transformers work. The transformer was 10 years old anyway.

Hobby Boy
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:27 pm

hobby boy wrote:

i've had a faulty transformer before because of a loose wire. My dad fixed it, by opening it up (EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS NOT TO OPEN IT!) and fixing the wire. He did this because he understands how transformers work. The transformer was 10 years old anyway.

Hobby Boy

Well the transformer I bought was very much new and I don't think it's safe for me to open up a transformer.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:09 pm

is there going to be any more updates?

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 pm

hobby boy wrote:is there going to be any more updates?

Why thank you for asking,

I've had so many problems with the point motor system that theres not much of an update to make except that I've finally solved the problem! I found a 24v power supply going spare in the house so have cut of the moulded plug and it works perfectly when wired up.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Also so far i've had to replace the springs of 4 points!!

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:52 pm

Have you tried out the hornby surface mounted point motors?
You can sometimes get faulty ones but when they work they always switch the point and are quiet :D :D :D :lol:

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Class 66 wrote:
hobby boy wrote:is there going to be any more updates?

Why thank you for asking,

I've had so many problems with the point motor system that theres not much of an update to make except that I've finally solved the problem! I found a 24v power supply going spare in the house so have cut of the moulded plug and it works perfectly when wired up.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Also so far i've had to replace the springs of 4 points!!

Have you tried out the hornby surface mounted point motors?
You can sometimes get faulty ones but when they work they always switch the point and are quiet :D :D :D :lol:

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 am

hobby boy wrote:Have you tried out the hornby surface mounted point motors?

I'm not using Hornby Surface mounted point motors. They look ugly and don't provide the facility for polarity switching.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”