Ninian Junction - And so it is finished, see last post.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Class 66

Ninian Junction - And so it is finished, see last post.

Postby Class 66 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:29 pm

When I got back into the model railway hobby in August I rushed things. I took shortcuts. My original baseboard was just chipboard propped up with some legs. It worked for about 2 days then started to sag, it basically just didn't work. I put Sundela on it at the edges without an underframe to increase the width. It also sagged and warped. I decided that if I wanted to get the best out of the hobby I'd need to build it properly. So all the track came up and the board was demolished. After shifting things around in the room. I settled on a board with a width of 210cm and a depth of 122cm giving me enough room for 3rd radius curves. The board will sit on legs with wheels attached to them so I can access all the parts of the layout, there will be no backscene because of this.

So to give you all some facts :
  • Track is PECO Code 100 except for the curves which are Hornby. The straight sections are mostly flexitrack
  • Points are PECO Code 100 Streamline Electrofrog
  • The station tracks can hold : 3 Pullman coaches, 4 LNER coaches, 4 Maunsell Coaches.
  • The board is 210x120cm 6mm plywood

The layout basically consists of 2 loops, one 3rd radius and one 2nd radius. In the middle of these two loops is a small simple shunting yard. I wanted to keep the layout simple yet operationally interesting. On one side most of the curves will be covered with a hill and on the other half of the curves will be covered. The shunting yard will contain an engine shed and a good shed. At the top of the layout with a crossover near the middle will be a 2 platform station with a footbridge allowing crossings between the platforms.

Heres a trackplan to simplify things:

The track should arrive on Tuesday from Hattons and I've got some cork and Xuron track cutters on order from Gaugemaster which should come on either Monday or Tuesday. Then its time for a massive tracklaying day!

Here are some pictures of current progress :

Underneath the board with the bus wires half layed.

A test of the trackwork to see if things will fit.

A closeup of the two test wagons.

Thank you all for viewing.
Last edited by Class 66 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

guitardave_1

Re: Stephens Untitled Steam Era Layout

Postby guitardave_1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:10 pm

The baseboard looks nicely made, but before it's too late (I hope) the one thing that stood out on your plan is the lack of a headshunt. With the current design, every time you want to shunt a train in and out of the different sidings, you'll have to come right out onto the 'main line'.

There is no need to make the layout prototypical if it doesn't bother you, but you may find that purely from an operational point of the view the lack of a headshunt is a frustration. It's easier to alter the plan now than when it's all pinned in place!

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:04 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:The baseboard looks nicely made, but before it's too late (I hope) the one thing that stood out on your plan is the lack of a headshunt. With the current design, every time you want to shunt a train in and out of the different sidings, you'll have to come right out onto the 'main line'.

There is no need to make the layout prototypical if it doesn't bother you, but you may find that purely from an operational point of the view the lack of a headshunt is a frustration. It's easier to alter the plan now than when it's all pinned in place!

Thanks for pointing that out to me Dave (I'm not sure if thats your name, sorry if I have it wrong :) ) I've now modified the track plan to include a small headshunt off of the 3-way point. It's small though because of the space restrictions. I've also rejigged the point work of the shunting yard and have removed the curved point section which means I now have bigger sidings :)

The updated trackplan is on the first post :)

Thanks,

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Received confirmation today that my track order from Hattons has been dispatched. That should arrive tommorow as it's being sent next day via City Link. I've also received confirmation that my Gaugemaster order for the cork and Xuron track cutters has been dispatched, although I asked for Next day delivery I'm not expecting them until Wednesday.

So hopefully I'll get you all some pictures of the track order tommorow.

It's going to be a busy New Years Eve day! Tracklaying full speed ahead.

Thanks all,

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:30 pm

So the latest news. My Hattons track order has arrived with the remainder of my PECO points and the flexible track along with the 3rd radius curves I needed. Just waiting on my Gaugemaster order which should come today from UPS.

One thing to note though is that the City Link man tapped the letterbox incredibly loudly at 9:00 in the morning. The family were hardly impresessed to say the least.

I'm hoping to show you all in detail how I layed my track etc so expect a big update today or tonight.

rogACE

Postby rogACE » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:11 pm

cant wait to see the track down
BULLEID IS BEST,
any help with modelling OO seaton Jct. exeter central or bournemouth west post-war br/sr steam would be cool, thanks!

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi Stephen,

I'm not totally sure how the plan changed after guitardave's suggestion, as you replaced the original, but have you considered adding another point to give you more of a headshunt to play with? Not sure how it would fit with your plans for tunnels, etc, but it might be worth thinking about. Something like this:

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Dead Man's Handle wrote:Hi Stephen,

I'm not totally sure how the plan changed after guitardave's suggestion, as you replaced the original, but have you considered adding another point to give you more of a headshunt to play with? Not sure how it would fit with your plans for tunnels, etc, but it might be worth thinking about. Something like this:

Ade

Thanks for doing that plan for me Ade. I've not yet laid the centre bit so I'll see if I can implement that plan.

I'll get a big update a bit later.

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:07 am

So what a day it was yesterday. Heres an overview of the end of day tracklaying.

Heres an overview of the board after all that :

EDITED : I've removed the pictures as I'm now doing the layout in sections, see all future updates.
Last edited by Class 66 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eggbert17

Postby eggbert17 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Looking good mate, are you adding more track to the shed area? its looking similar to my layout lol, keep it up

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:29 pm

I've not got pictures but It's a bit of an update. I've decided to split this project up into sections so I can go at a sensible pace and get everything working before moving onto the next section. So I'm starting with the outer loop, I need to buy some track pins and a small drill piece on Saturday (all the shops are closed in Scotland today). I've got the cork layed onto the outer loop and luckily everything fits. I've also started with the point motors and have drilled the holes for the front two points (I'll be using points with extended pins as it's easier)

I was contemplating what was going to happen with the layout when it was finished and a smart idea suddenly came into my head. I've decided I will exhibit it in the future. When I went to a model railway exhibition last year there were loads of children everywhere but there was really nothing for them to do as the operators refused to let anyone have a go with operating their layouts (mainly because most of the layouts didn't have loops in them and were just end to ends). So I reckon I'll let children (and adults) control the layout giving them a real feel of what a model railway will be like and also giving something for the kids to do :) They may even seen Thomas the Tank Engine on it :)

So I need to think about how to do this, but I have ideas!

Class 66

Re: Stephens Steam Era Layout - A planned exhibition layout

Postby Class 66 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:48 pm

So following on from my last post about splitting the project up into sections. It is my great honour to announce that section 1 the outer loop is almost complete! I've managed to get the Hornby Flying Scotsman out for a spin. Amazingly it worked first time apart from a small fishplate problem but that was easily fixed. After spending 4 hours soldering wires and burning my fingers (I accidently touched the soldering iron stand while it was incredibly hot, not good) it's really encouraging to see it all work!

Following on from Ade's suggestion I realized that really if I wanted to get the most shunting ability out of the layout as I could then I really needed a substancial head-shunt. Luckily for me I had a spare PECO curved point lying around so I've now included that in the trackplan. Thanks Ade and Dave! The first post has been updated with the new trackplan

So enough of my babbling. Here are the picture to prove the point! One thing you should notice is that I've laid the cork down, this is wood glued so once it's down theres no going back.

The start of the big wiring day, with some of the droppers installed

A close up of one of the droppers that goes to the loop. I've used insulating tape to cover the soldered joints to cover up my terrible soldering and to prevent it all from going bang from wires hitting each other!

At the end, it's all wired up and cork layed!

A closeup of the Flying Scotsman going around the 3rd radius loop. It's great!

Now for a nice rest, See you all tommorow.
Last edited by Class 66 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Huzzah!

Movement!

Always feels good, doesn't it?

:D :D :D :D :D

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Huzzah!

Movement!

Always feels good, doesn't it?

:D :D :D :D :D

It sure does Gavin! It sure does :) This is why I love this hobby :)

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Work on stage 2 of the layout, the inner loop with the 3-way point and crossovers started today. I don't plan to finish this stage untill after Model Rail Scotland in February as I'll be buying all the switches and point motors there. The 3-way point also requires 2 PL-13 accessory switches which i'll also get there. So basically this stage will last about 2 months then it will be onto the shunting yard.

The layout also has a name, See the first post :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”